• Last Reply

KCAE just posted this in their discussion (good for us I think):

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
HAVE FORECASTED ALL LIQUID PRECIPITATION
THROUGH THIS EVENING AS SURFACE WET BULB TEMPERATURES REMAIN ABOVE
FREEZING. CLOUDS HAVE SCATTERED OUT SOME IN THE NORTHERN MIDLANDS
AND CSRA WITH TEMPERATURES RISING A FEW DEGREES HIGHER THAN
PREVIOUSLY FORECAST. HAVE ADJUSTED TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BASED ON
TRENDS WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S TO LOW 50S.

I've never found worrying about temps the day before a storm to be a fruitful exercise.  We've ran under model forecasts leading into potential freezing rain events and it didn't matter.  It was still a cold rain.  We've blown through our forecasted high temperatures the day prior to some major snowstorms around here and it didn't matter.

I know we have always had an OBS thread even though I am not fond of them. I say someone starts it when the 00 runs start this evening. I say that person is John WOW>  

Question: Do we want a separate OBS thread for this storm or not?  The storm is basically at our doorstep now, especially for SC/GA.

I've never found worrying about temps the day before a storm to be a fruitful exercise.  We've ran under model forecasts leading into potential freezing rain events and it didn't matter.  It was still a cold rain.  We've blown through our forecasted high temperatures the day prior to some major snowstorms around here and it didn't matter.

Absolutely true. We are topping out right now anyway. 

Same guy has been repeatedly missing on his posts today.

Par for the course for him every storm it seems. We have maybe 3 more hours max for any heating and that MIGHT take us 2 degrees above forecast, otherwise we are right were we were forecast to be today. It's actually trended cooler today as opposed to what we were looking at on say Monday.

Absolutely true. We are topping out right now anyway. 

What's perhaps most funny is that we seem to be running below our forecast, so I don't know what that post was all about.  GSO was 39 at 1 PM and we were supposed to get into the mid-40s yesterday (not that it matters one bit).  Charlotte isn't much warmer at 43.

Question: Do we want a separate OBS thread for this storm or not?  The storm is basically at our doorstep now, especially for SC/GA.

I was about to respond no, but it may be useful because of the timespan of this storm. We'll probably still be checking models tomorrow for Saturday's wrap around snow. All the OBS will muddle that discussion. **but in the future I say we keep just one for one day events.

What's perhaps most funny is that we seem to be running below our forecast, so I don't know what that post was all about.  GSO was 39 at 1 PM and we were supposed to get into the mid-40s yesterday (not that it matters one bit).  Charlotte isn't much warmer at 43.

Uhm, isn't the wedge going to make all of the current temps worthless for the most part up that way?

Uhm, isn't the wedge going to make all of the current temps worthless for the most part up that way?

Shawn, what you thinking as far as wraparound snow for us? Thinking we could muster an inch? Also, next week has potential. Maybe we can do even better then with that setup. February seems like the best month climo wise for us to get snow. Hope we can cash out somewhere soon.

Shawn, what you thinking as far as wraparound snow for us? Thinking we could muster an inch? Also, next week has potential. Maybe we can do even better then with that setup. February seems like the best month climo wise for us to get snow. Hope we can cash out somewhere soon.

Surface temps could be a problem.  The 540 thickness doesnt always indicate snow... I think we would want to see the 534 come through.  Looks like the heavier banding could lift just to our West away from us... therefore limiting the amount of moisture in the snow growth region as the 534 tries to crash in.  Drying air isn't good in that situation.

There's a chance at a dusting, but I am not very excited about the possibility.  The upper level low track and surface transfer off our coast is a bit North for our area to get something really nice.  None of this stuff is nailed down, I recommend watching the Mesoanalysis page from here on out.

Archived