Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, the best thing about a potential storm is going to the grocery store before everything hits the fan so you can prepare a feast to enjoy* for days after the event

*or cry into as you're eating your feelings because that warm nose just crushed your hopes and dreams

Or cry in your beer with your cold rain while 50 miles up 77 gets epic winter precip.

At the risk of being berated, I'm trying to learn a little bit about all of this with this storm, but have seen barely any discussion about conditions in NC east of Raleigh.  How are we shaping up?  From the maps I've poured through the last 24 hours, it seems an inch or two of snow with some freezing rain mixed in is to be expected.  How off base am I?

I am shocked the NWS is consistently ignoring the EURO and foreign models considering how the GFS is consistently and slowing catching up to it.  Same with the NAM, 18Z continues the trend.  At what point do they figure "you know what, maybe we ought to just look at the EURO instead?".

PSA: If you're going to post AFD text from your local NWS office, PLEASE   bold what you think is important, so a wall of text is actually readable. Can't tell you how many times I scroll past those simply to move on. 

I am shocked the NWS is consistently ignoring the EURO and foreign models considering how the GFS is consistently and slowing catching up to it.  Same with the NAM, 18Z continues the trend.  At what point do they figure "you know what, maybe we ought to just look at the EURO instead?".

Is the GFS really that awful for CLT?  I got the impression that it wasn't as much sn/ ip/ zr as the Euro, but that there was still sn / ip / zr in North Carolina outside the mountains and foothills?    Could the regional NWS mets consider the GFS more reliable in a record-breaking Nino year?  

Is the GFS really that awful for CLT?  I got the impression that it wasn't as much sn/ ip/ zr as the Euro, but that there was still sn / ip / zr in North Carolina outside the mountains and foothills?    Could the regional NWS mets consider the GFS more reliable in a record-breaking Nino year?  

I think after a few big busts over the past few years they are playing it very conservative, rightfully so. It is extremely hard to forecast these storms in this area. Very tight gradients and just a few miles between large amounts of snow and a cold rain. Just last year we were suppose to get hammered up through I-85 corridor and get mostly nothing. If guidance suggests otherwise in the AM or the 00z models suggest different they may ramp up precip totals etc. 

Not sure of the right way to post this, so just going to link, but we have official advisories in the Triangle now, including a snippet regarding tonight:

http://www.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=rah&wwa=all

Here's the part that's just regarding tonight:

...BRIEF SNOW SHOWERS IN NORTHWEST PIEDMONT THROUGH EARLY THIS

EVENING THEN A MAJOR WINTER STORM ARRIVES THURSDAY NIGHT...

.A FAST MOVING STORM SYSTEM CROSSING THE REGION WILL BRING A
QUICK SHOT OF SNOW ACROSS NORTHWEST PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NORTH
CAROLINA LATE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY EVENING. AMOUNTS ARE
EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO JUST UNDER AN INCH... ENOUGH
TO MAKE ROADS SLIPPERY. A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM WILL MOVE INTO
THE AREA FROM THE SOUTHWEST STARTING LATE THURSDAY EVENING... AND
LAST THROUGH SATURDAY.

"* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THIS EVENING WILL
RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO JUST UNDER ONE INCH. THEN... FOR
THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY... TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4
TO 8 INCHES... AND POTENTIALLY NEAR 12 INCHES AROUND WINSTON-
SALEM...ALONG WITH ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF
INCH... ARE POSSIBLE."

NWS RAH -       HONK HONK, I hear you loud and clear... dont see that forecast too frequently round these parts. 

I will never understand why having a watch/warning issued in an area changes what the weather is going to do.  Seems people have that thinking.

I think it just gives a false sense of confirmation that it is going to snow and do exactly what the models say. It could for sure but forecasting wintry wx in this area is very hard to do. I don't envy any of the mets this time of the year. 

I read that it runs the storm inland through the sounds.  That track would seemingly switch us to rain.  I haven't seen it though, and nobody's really talking about it, so I assume it isn't spectacular.

Rain for me as usual  ;)   ...but I did get stuff for smores for when I get my 33 and rain   :D 

Just got NAM'd and DT'd. Cool.

For the life of me I don't know why people care what dt says for down this way when his focus is always on the mid Atlantic and new england. Given what's in store for DC and the mid Atlantic I doubt he has given no more tHan a glance at the southeast

For the life of me I don't know why people care what dt says for down this way when his focus is always on the mid Atlantic and new england. Given what's in store for DC and the mid Atlantic I doubt he has given no more tHan a glance at the southeast

Haha, true, and I've seen his maps here bust more than once here.

Archived