joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, he did get sleet. Of course it was in addition to 5-7" more snow than he was expecting. 

Yeah a tiny bit of sleet isn't a huge deal breaker. What is the ice accumulation in your area, trying to get an idea how bad it will be driving home tonight since we are pretty close proximity.

Yeah a tiny bit of sleet isn't a huge deal breaker. What is the ice accumulation in your area, trying to get an idea how bad it will be driving home tonight since we are pretty close proximity.

There was very little freezing rain accumulation. The sleet flipped straight over to plain rain.

That said, I'd say we're just shy of 1" of sleet. The roads are skating rinks. 

Quite an ice storm. Gusty winds, pouring sleet (0.6") then pouring freezing rain. Commute home was a nightmare as expected, but I made it safely.

I'll take sleet over freezing rain for sure, but I'm all about snow. Crazy to see a solid 2-3" sleet in chicago. At least it will look like winter there this week. We got the freak Nov snowstorm and no one's had luck in Dec, but now that a snowstorm is happening to my NW I got that jealousy bug for the first time this year. Here's to winter setting in!

4524-800.jpg

About two inches of slush with a half inch of snow on top. Heart attack ice/snow at its finest. I have a very nice two stage snowblower that was having problems handling the sheer weight of the slush. Didn't help that between drifting and the snowplow that it was about 5" deep over my driveway...

Be careful clearing this stuff! Never seen anything like it.

Quite an ice storm. Gusty winds, pouring sleet (0.6") then pouring freezing rain. Commute home was a nightmare as expected, but I made it safely.

I'll take sleet over freezing rain for sure, but I'm all about snow. Crazy to see a solid 2-3" sleet in chicago. At least it will look like winter there this week. We got the freak Nov snowstorm and no one's had luck in Dec, but now that a snowstorm is happening to my NW I got that jealousy bug for the first time this year. Here's to winter setting in!

yuck, that reminds me of leftovers in March.

The show is finally in high gear here. Pure rippage right out of the gate. Viz down to 0.5 mi. A very nice snow band has camped out over the eastern metro moving west. The models depicted a large area of snow hanging back in MN as the low pulls off into N IL and that's exactly what is happening.

Congrats to Brewers. Glad you found heavy snow back in Racine!

Almost convective snow out there. Several inches of sleet and snow accumulated. Lots of dripping ongoing, so we actually popped above freezing at the surface when it flipped to snow. Very strange storm. Guess the occlusion or heavy rates cooled the column enough to allow snow. This stuff should have staying power.

Never saw pure liquid. Sleet all day > brief lull > heavy snow.

The show is finally in high gear here. Pure rippage right out of the gate. Viz down to 0.5 mi. A very nice snow band has camped out over the eastern metro moving west. The models depicted a large area of snow hanging back in MN as the low pulls off into N IL and that's exactly what is happening.

Congrats to Brewers. Glad you found heavy snow back in Racine!

Waiting for it downtown.

b4abc112a3abfbc73d916a0955962cd9.jpg

5337d6ef943367448b481c46db19cbcf.jpg

Archived