• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco Part 2

Chicago Storm

A similar occurrence happened here when we saw that freak thundersnow event on 2/20/14.

The snow had changed over to rain by midday and the precipitation ended completely by the early afternoon hours, but we didn't lose power until just before sunset, when the temps had warmed into the mid-upper 30s.

Power came back on around 3:15 am. The sound of the furnace woke me up. Sent our son back to his own bed and went back to sleep myself LOL.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up around 10" IMBY hard to accurately measure of course but that is pretty much the average some spots 2' other areas 4". And yes it is concrete, not used to the heavy snow but certainly not complaining. Great way to start a base now hopefully we see a little LES on top of this and it should be a decent week /weekend up here when just 24hrs ago was looking pretty bleak.

Good news about the snow down there! We're up here in the UP near White Fish Point now, looks like about 6" or so up here. Sounds like areas south of here got more though.

This was probably the biggest sleet storm in Chicago in a very long time.  This particular observer has been at it for many decades.

1200 AM     SLEET            3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT     41.75N 87.79W   12/29/2015  M2.10 INCH       COOK               IL   CO-OP OBSERVER                  THERE WAS BRIEFLY SNOW BUT ALMOST ALL OF THIS WAS SLEET.               SLEET IS GROUPED WITH SNOW OFFICIALLY SO RECORDS FOR               EXACT SLEET AMOUNTS ARE DIFFICULT TO ACQUIRE. THE LONG               TIME COOP OBSERVER CHECKED BACK THROUGH HIS RECORDS AND               NOT FOUND ANY REMARKS NOTING THIS HIGH OF SLEET TOTALS               FOR HIS LOCATION.  

This was probably the biggest sleet storm in Chicago in a very long time.  This particular observer has been at it for many decades.

1200 AM     SLEET            3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT     41.75N 87.79W   12/29/2015  M2.10 INCH       COOK               IL   CO-OP OBSERVER                  THERE WAS BRIEFLY SNOW BUT ALMOST ALL OF THIS WAS SLEET.               SLEET IS GROUPED WITH SNOW OFFICIALLY SO RECORDS FOR               EXACT SLEET AMOUNTS ARE DIFFICULT TO ACQUIRE. THE LONG               TIME COOP OBSERVER CHECKED BACK THROUGH HIS RECORDS AND               NOT FOUND ANY REMARKS NOTING THIS HIGH OF SLEET TOTALS               FOR HIS LOCATION.  

From LOT FB page...

"It looks like the 1.9" of sleet recorded at Chicago on December 28th was a record for sleet in a day. The previous record was 1.5" of sleet on February 4, 1924."

AGS.

Anthropogenic global sleeting.

This map is form APX a little closer but not fully accurate from other reports I have seen/heard.

10291803_949418078466123_552526208162616

We were almost ready to roll out to Mesick, MI until I saw this map. We might not be going anywhere or we might go to Alpena. 11 inches isn't exactly amazing.

Northern Michigan people & Wisconsin/Illinois crew.

Care to point out the problems with this?

attachicon.gifSnow.jpg

Well I don't have 20" on the ground! I guess if all that would have been snow at 30° - yeah it would have been quite deep. I guess the algorithm they use doesn't account for sleet being 3:1 ratio.

Maybe thats the "what it felt like shoveling" map?

:lol:

This would have been an amazing snowstorm given that warm layer above 850mb was absent.

Was out driving around and a lot of the west facing stop lights are iced over with snow and ice. Hard to tell what the color some of the lights are.

We were almost ready to roll out to Mesick, MI until I saw this map. We might not be going anywhere or we might go to Alpena. 11 inches isn't exactly amazing.

I wouldn't waste your time, lot of people up here already, 8-12" snow is will be toast in no time.  If we get some decent LES as being advertised maybe. Good thing is the snow is concrete compared to usual les fluff

I wouldn't waste your time, lot of people up here already, 8-12" snow is will be toast in no time. If we get some decent LES as being advertised maybe. Good thing is the snow is concrete compared to usual les fluff

Going to hope for some LES somewhere... It might be 2 more weeks before we go anywhere. Just a historically bad start to the year.

Going to hope for some LES somewhere... It might be 2 more weeks before we go anywhere. Just a historically bad start to the year.

We got in 80 miles on our sleds yesterday up here north of Paradise. We didn't see any other sleds the whole time. The groomer operator says he might head out Saturday to start panning, knocking down bumps if they get a little more snow between then and now. I'm not sure I would make the drive up this far yet, just not enough snow to really have a good ride. If they can get some lake effect in the next few days conditions should change to good I feel.

One death was confirmed in Hillsdale County, someone ran a generator in a house during the outage yesterday.

Arrgghh!! It really bothers me when people do these types of things. Part of my position with EMA is warning about dangers of this. I overemphasize safety in all of my presentations on hazardous weather preperation.

Archived