• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco Part 2

Chicago Storm

The show is finally in high gear here. Pure rippage right out of the gate. Viz down to 0.5 mi. A very nice snow band has camped out over the eastern metro moving west. The models depicted a large area of snow hanging back in MN as the low pulls off into N IL and that's exactly what is happening.

Congrats to Brewers. Glad you found heavy snow back in Racine!

Good luck up there...I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully to a fresh 6"+. Probably got spoiled a bit here but I'm not complaining!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad the ice didn't materilize. Would have been highly damaging to the power grid. Still snowing

Lol, was it like a sleigh ride DLL!

I put the hammer down...  The only thing was the snow is coming down so hard that everything was just building up on the windshield...

Interstate traffic was just crawling up here...maybe 25 or 30mph.

Looks like some openings appearing in the snow across Iowa and NW of Madison.

Over 6+ now, storm is definitely over acheiving, new forecast from NWS APX says another 6" tonight, buggest synoptic event for my area since 3/12 hard to believe.

You guys in Northern Lower have been long overdue for a decent synoptic snowstorm.

These closed-off / negative tilt gulf lows, which have been MIA until now, are your bread and butter. 

I put the hammer down...  The only thing was the snow is coming down so hard that everything was just building up on the windshield...

Interstate traffic was just crawling up here...maybe 25 or 30mph.

Looks like some openings appearing in the snow across Iowa and NW of Madison.

That's no fun driving when you can't see good. This is the type of storm where your windshield wipers freeze up.

Stay safe up there.

Looks like in your in for more intermittent snow now.

You guys in Northern Lower have been long overdue for a decent synoptic snowstorm.

These closed-off / negative tilt gulf lows, which have been MIA until now, are your bread and butter. 

Yea it has been a little tough to watch all the storms pass to our south or west the past few years, but hard to complain when we still get 130-150" a year. 

0400 PM HEAVY RAIN 1 SSW HAZELWOOD 38.76N 90.37W  

12/28/2015 M9.15 INCH ST. LOUIS MO ASOS  

STORM TOTAL....9.15 INCHES. MONTHLY TOTAL FOR DECEMBER  

11.71 INCHES.  

WFO got even more. They had 9.38 as of 6 a.m. this morning. Lots of co-op stations over 10". The flooding and standing water has been nothing short of incredible and this is December, not April/May. Interstates, highways and bridges closing left and right and the Mississippi isn't due to crest until Wednesday. Feels like '93 madness all over again except it's coming in much faster.

lol at the update from MKX...

FXUS63 KMKX 290255
AFDMKX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
855 PM CST MON DEC 28 2015

.UPDATE...

CHASING THE PRECIPITATION TYPE HAS BEEN A REAL CHALLENGE THIS
EVENING. THE SOUTHEAST HASN/T TRANSITIONED AS EXPECTED WITH SNOW
ACCUMS HITTING 6-7 INCHES IN THE MILWAUKEE METRO AREA. THE SLEET
ACCUMULATIONS HAVE BEEN STUNNING. WE EVEN HAD SOME THUNDER IN A
FEW LOCATIONS ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST AS THE MID LEVEL DRY SLOT
WORKED IN. THAT DRY SLOT HAS FILLED BACK IN AS THE CIRCULATION OF
THE UPPER LOW IS NOW MOVING INTO NORTHEAST IL AND SOUTHEAST WI. IT
APPEARS THE DYNAMIC COOLING UNDER THAT CIRCULATION HAS TURNED THE
PRECIP TYPE BACK TO ALL SNOW IN THE SOUTHEAST...AFTER HAVING
TRANSITIONED TO MORE LIQUID. OIY.
AREAS WEST AND NORTH OF MADISON
HAVE BEEN ALL SNOW THROUGH MUCH OF THE EVENT AND ACCUMS UP THERE
SHOULD BE PUSHING 10 INCHES BEFORE IT ENDS. SOME WHITE-OUT
CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED. THE HRRR IS DOING A DECENT JOB
WITH TRENDS AND IT LOOKS LIKE THE SOUTH WILL SEE THE PRECIP
DIMINISH/END BY AROUND MIDNIGHT...THEN SPREAD QUICKLY NORTH WITH
AREAS NORTH OF MADISON OUT OF MOST OF IT BY 3 AM.

THE SURFACE LOW WAS JUST EAST OF PEORIA AT AROUND 8 PM AND LOOKS
LIKE IT WILL MAKE IT TO KENOSHA BY 3 AM. THIS IS A BIT FARTHER
SOUTH THAN EARLIER THOUGHT. IT APPEARED THE LOW MAY MAKE IT UP TO
MILWAUKEE. ONCE THE UPPER CIRCULATION LIFTS NORTH...WE MAY LOOSE
ICE CRYSTALS AND GO OVER TO A LIGHT FREEZING PRECIP FOR A
TIME...WHERE TEMPS ARE BELOW FREEZING. THE SOUTHEAST MAY CLIMB TO
33-34F BEFORE DROPPING BACK DOWN AFTER SUNRISE. ITS ALL VERY
COMPLEX AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE. ROADS WILL LIKELY STAY TORTUROUSTHROUGH
THE MORNING RUSH HOUR.

Finished the storm off with about a half inch of snow.  At least it looks a little white out there now.  What a strange progression of weather conditions today.  Had predominantly sleet early on, but was pretty light so didn't add up that much like some of you guys experienced.  Freezing rain was starting to get serious but luckily bumped up just warm enough to melt off what glazed.  Actually the winds broke off the glazing as soon as there was the slightest amount of melting.  Had several hours of plain moderate rain.  Then a quick switch to sleet and then snow to cap it all off.  All in all this will be a fairly forgettable system here, as we never really had a lot of one type of precip.  Was definitely an entertaining storm to forecast, track, and watch go down.

Easy 6" here. Just pounding away.

Powerball I guess I was low balling at 6-8". This is gunning for a foot.

I definitely can see 12"+ happening. Storm's just half way over for you at this point.

I'm sure it's depressing knowing you're eventually going to have to leave that and come back down here to the Tropics. :lol:

Finished the storm off with about a half inch of snow.  At least it looks a little white out there.  What a strange progression of weather conditions today.  Had predominantly sleet early on, but was pretty light so didn't add up that much like some of you guys experienced.  Freezing rain was starting to get serious but luckily bumped up just warm enough to melt off what glazed.  Actually the winds broke off the glazing as soon as there was the slightest amount of melting.  Had several hours of plain moderate rain.  Then a quick switch to sleet and then snow to cap it all off.  All in all this will be a fairly forgettable system here, as we never really had a lot of one type of precip.  Was definitely an entertaining storm to forecast, track, and watch go down.

While a lot of us missed out on truly memorable weather in our backyards, in terms of the overall optics (between the deadly tornadoes, the historic flooding, the widespread sleet accumulation, the widespread near-blizzard conditions and the widespread big dog snow amounts), I'd go as far as to say this was the most exciting storm we've had in the subforum since GHD 2011.

While a lot of us missed out on truly memorable weather in our backyards, in terms of the overall optics (between the deadly tornadoes, the historic flooding, the widespread sleet accumulation, the widespread near-blizzard conditions and the widespread big dog snow amounts), I'd go as far as to say this was the most exciting storm we've had in the subforum since GHD 2011.

Yeah it definitely ranks up there pretty high, no doubt.

Getting clobbered for the past 2 hours in Rogers City, MI. Sustained winds of 20-28mph. Power almost went out about 10 minutes ago. Big flash outside, everything went dead, then came back on a few seconds after. I'd say there is at least 4-6 inches on the ground right now. By the looks of it we still have a ways to go for this storm. Bring it on!! 

Archived