• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco Part 2

Chicago Storm

While a lot of us missed out on truly memorable weather in our backyards, in terms of the overall optics (between the deadly tornadoes, the historic flooding, the widespread sleet accumulation, the widespread near-blizzard conditions and the widespread big dog snow amounts), I'd go as far as to say this was the most exciting storm we've had in the subforum since GHD 2011.

Eh I'd still say GHD II/Super Bowl storm IMO

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not very weather-wise at all, so I'll ask the experts here. How long would you guys estimate that the storm will be dumping on NE MI (Rogers City area) tonight? Looks like the moisture is drying up already around Standish and south. I haven't seen a storm dump like this in a few years. 

I'm not very weather-wise at all, so I'll ask the experts here. How long would you guys estimate that the storm will be dumping on NE MI (Rogers City area) tonight? Looks like the moisture is drying up already around Standish and south. I haven't seen a storm dump like this in a few years. 

Radar trends suggest things should begin to taper off after 1am.

What an interesting storm!  I worked most of the day, then had a pretty treacherous ride home, which is why I didn't post much.  Just measured 6.5" or so, ironically about the same total Geos most recently measured.  He's the king of synoptic snow in our forum lately it would seem.  Anyways, it stayed mostly snow throughout the event like others (Powerball, Stebo) detailed, and occasionally became heavy, though it was heaviest around evening rush hour time when it turned to heavy (thunder)sleet.  That might've been the most exciting part of the storm, as how often do you get thundersleet with 40-45mph wind gusts? 

Nice to lay down a blanket of snow with some cold air looking to enter the picture (at least compared to this winter season so far).  Makes it a bit easier to get through the boring stretch that looks to be the next couple weeks with the spiking PNA and dropping NAO and AO.  Still looking like a kiddie cocktail version of the last couple Februarys for instance.  I'll take some pics tomorrow morning of the snowcover.

Two hours after the storm ends and now the power goes out...

Doh!

Well just shy of your total Wisconsinwx.

6.2" of snow and sleet here total. Ended as some light mist about 10pm. Now sitting at 34°.

This was the hardest shoveling I've ever done. The weight of the stuff is crazy - even with my fancy shovel on a wheel. Each scoop was like lifting a bucket of water.

This will turn into a glacier no doubt later on and stick around a while.

Low over Chicago now. Onshore flow should shut off anytime now. Credit goes out to the GGEM/RGEM for sure. GFS probably second place. HRRR did a really good job with precipitation types today.

MW.fronts.20151229.05.gif

Two hours after the storm ends and now the power goes out...

A similar occurrence happened here when we saw that freak thundersnow event on 2/20/14.

The snow had changed over to rain by midday and the precipitation ended completely by the early afternoon hours, but we didn't lose power until just before sunset, when the temps had warmed into the mid-upper 30s.

I got some decent snow for a couple hours first thing this morning and a bit more at the end, but the nine hours in between was all sleet.  I ended up with about 4 inches.  The gauge catch was 1.26", although the real precip total is likely higher because of strong wind.  The models generally had me right on the steep cliff with much more accumulation just west and north and not much to the southeast, and that is exactly how it panned out.  Our temp never rose above 28, so the stuff isn't wet, but it's very dense and heavy and there's a crusty layer next to the pavement.  It was a real beotch to clean.  Our first storm back in November was heavy slop, so this winter isn't making it easy.

Meh the storm was cool, been a while since we had an ice storm like that, but freezing rain is useless. After our covering of sleet it POURED freezing rain, dipped the trees in crystal, then melted overnight as it warmed into the 40s. The couple of inches of sleet in Chicago will be a rock solid base for freezing up and being a snowpack base, versus most of our ice has melted (except where sleet was shoveled). Not to mention we never see sleet storms. (I better watch what I say, dont want a sleet storm when all others get snow lol). Storm total precip imby 1.12", sleet 0.6".

Totally buried from what I can see. I can't even open my car's doors because the entire thing is drifted shut. I'll take measurements and some pictures once it becomes lighter outside. Also, this snow is a total PIA to shovel. I thought it was the fluffy variety last night, totally wrong. Like concrete. 

Congrats to all who got snow and others who enjoyed the storm.  Northern lower was way over due.  Seeing some 10-12" reports in the east UP but mostly 7-9" fell s central and east.  2.5" last I looked but lake effect is ramping up a bit now.  2-4 today and 1-2 tonight should bring storm totals to 5-8".  Healthy dense snowpack in place.

Totally buried from what I can see. I can't even open my car's doors because the entire thing is drifted shut. I'll take measurements and some pictures once it becomes lighter outside. Also, this snow is a total PIA to shovel. I thought it was the fluffy variety last night, totally wrong. Like concrete.

How much?

I ended up around 10" IMBY hard to accurately measure of course but that is pretty much the average some spots 2' other areas 4". And yes it is concrete, not used to the heavy snow but certainly not complaining. Great way to start a base now hopefully we see a little LES on top of this and it should be a decent week /weekend up here when just 24hrs ago was looking pretty bleak.  

Archived