joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I feel like I am on an island by myself but then in comes Scooter and Will on a 60 foot yacht loaded with babes and beers to rescue me. I just dont get the angst.

I mean I kind of get it. It's not February 2015 on the models. But we're gonna have to let that go in a strong Nino. It is hard to maintain a strongly negative EPO in mod to strong Ninos. But there's still some NAO blocking trying to linger and PNA is positive...granted likely in pulses rather than an epic Yukon Territory ridge.

But the pattern is active and not a furnace. This is talking euro ensembles. GEFS are definitely somewhat warmer. If we get the Aleutian low that's sort of invading the GOA in the LR to trend another 1000 miles east into a negative PNA position, then I'll lead the panicky herd right over the cliff myself.

Sometimes I feel like I am on an island by myself but then in comes Scooter and Will on a 60 foot yacht loaded with babes and beers to rescue me. I just dont get the angst.

I mean nobody is going to go begging in a +1 scenario as long as we get the QPF. January average is 29 degrees at BOS.

I mean nobody is going to go begging in a +1 scenario as long as we get the QPF. January average is 29 degrees at BOS.

I think Feb 2013 was like +0.5 at ORH but 44.4" of snow. I mean typically it is below average when we get big snow but it's not so lopsided that people should freak out.

Well there seems to be a disconnect. The worry and angst is over the final 10 days of the month when modeling is bringing back the Pig and +EPO. If that happens the worries can turn into reality. The next 2 weeks or so are when we are expecting to cash in . No worry there

I'm very concerned. Now, I'm finding out that anything I get in the next 2 weeks will vanish last week in Jan. Horrible.

Well there seems to be a disconnect. The worry and angst is over the final 10 days of the month when modeling is bringing back the Pig and +EPO. If that happens the worries can turn into reality. The next 2 weeks or so are when we are expecting to cash in . No worry there

There was no disconnect. We were talking about the end of the euro ensembles. Maybe it trends worse but I was fine with them verbatim.

Well that's the thing in forecasting. The goal is if you are going to be wrong, only be wrong once. Why change now to have your original forecast verify in the end? Then you would be wrong twice essentially.

Unless you are sure that things have changed, you are right it's silly to punt now.

Very good post. Never thought of it that way.

Its almost a month out.

4 days ago armageddon was modeled....probably warms back up, but my $ is on it being transient.

There was no disconnect. We were talking about the end of the euro ensembles. Maybe it trends worse but I was fine with them verbatim.

Other guidance has trended more unfavorable. The thinking that the second half of Jan and all thru Feb was going to be the best period MAY end up being a good 15-20 days in mid Jan before things go back the other way, but that remains TBD

Other guidance has trended more unfavorable. The thinking that the second half of Jan and all thru Feb was going to be the best period MAY end up being a good 15-20 days in mid Jan before things go back the other way, but that remains TBD

GEFS is the other guidance.

If you want to worry there is always something to worry about. You can always worry things will trend worse. There is nothing to stop anyone from that. So it's pretty pointless at this range. It could just as easily trend better when you are discussing a time range where model guidance has little skill.

If you want to worry there is always something to worry about. You can always worry things will trend worse. There is nothing to stop anyone from that. So it's pretty pointless at this range. It could just as easily trend better when you are discussing a time range where model guidance has little skill.

Exactly, what is the point of worrying about modeling at one month lead....it always flips.

I'm gonna shut  my eyes and block my ears and believe in the 45 day Santa Claus forecast on Accuweather until it changes into something I don't like. Looks pretty decent all the way out on that thing. Whatever they're smoking now, I like it.

In real life it does look good for the next few weeks. Let's hope there is a snow even or twelve in there.

I mean I kind of get it. It's not February 2015 on the models. But we're gonna have to let that go in a strong Nino. It is hard to maintain a strongly negative EPO in mod to strong Ninos. But there's still some NAO blocking trying to linger and PNA is positive...granted likely in pulses rather than an epic Yukon Territory ridge.

But the pattern is active and not a furnace. This is talking euro ensembles. GEFS are definitely somewhat warmer. If we get the Aleutian low that's sort of invading the GOA in the LR to trend another 1000 miles east into a negative PNA position, then I'll lead the panicky herd right over the cliff myself.

I got a similar vibe as the rest of you for the end of the EPS. It wasn't rainbow dendritic unicorns, but it does look more active and near normal. Like you said, if we can avoid the GOA low combined with the uber -PNA like last month we should at least see more action. I'm all set with 588dm hgts on the east coast at least until June.

Sarcasm, I hope.

Sort of, yes. Although one pet peeve is snow that melts right away, which almost illigitimizes a good storm for me. Part of the fun of a good storm is enjoying the good aesthetics of it. I prefer persistent snowcover, to rolling green hills in the middle of January.

3" that lasts for 2 weeks is better than 2' that's gone in 24 hours.

Sort of, yes. Although one pet peeve is snow that melts right away, which almost illigitimizes a good storm for me. Part of the fun of a good storm is enjoying the good aesthetics of it. I prefer persistent snowcover, to rolling green hills in the middle of January.

2'? Really? 2' is a rather uncommon occurrence. Even if it disappears, appreciate every minute of that storm. I know what you mean, but you can fart and get 3".

It's almost impossible to disappear 2 feet of snow in 2 weeks in mid-winter in interior SNE anyway. It happens, but really rare.

A torchy pattern after a 2 foot snowstorm (kind of like the 2 weeks after Feb 2013) will still leave plenty on the ground.

I'll take  2' for a start in a snow season that lasts from Nov 1 to April 30  with 12" + refreshers every week. However, that would just about cripple things in SNE.

It's almost impossible to disappear 2 feet of snow in 2 weeks in mid-winter in interior SNE anyway. It happens, but really rare.

A torchy pattern after a 2 foot snowstorm (kind of like the 2 weeks after Feb 2013) will still leave plenty on the ground.

January 1996 wants to know what happened to that beautiful 38" depth at BDL :(

Great post!! Thanks for keeping it real, instead of this total BS from the usual suspects!! Last year I believe Boston had .3 inches at this juncture. Not saying the same last week of January and February from last winter is walking in. But December 2015 isn't either.

Roosta said it perfectly a page back when he said go back a year and look at the posts, it's the same bogus from most of the same posters! And if December does come back, I'll like it better than this frigid crap-who needs this single digit temp bologny!! Bring on the storms and 30 degree temps.

2'? Really? 2' is a rather uncommon occurrence. Even if it disappears, appreciate every minute of that storm. I know what you mean, but you can fart and get 3".

I don't care how common/uncommon it is. A good old fashion 2-4"/3-6" storm, followed by another inch or 2, then a few days of highs around 20, then an 8" storm, with normal cold that follows to keep it around for awhile, and so on, is good enough to keep me happy. I'm,looking for longetivity in terms of snow and cold. My favorite winter of all time was '02/'03 because it was so consistently cold and snowy for such a long time, with lots of small-medium sized storms, and 1 big ticket stirm ( mid Nov.- early April). Last winter was great, but only for 5 weeks. I don't care about how big the storms are or depth. If anything, tracking bigger storms is less desirable since they rarely come to fruition.

I don't need, or even want epicosity....I just want normal. Seasons in seasons, that's it.

Archived