• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

Sort of, yes. Although one pet peeve is snow that melts right away, which almost illigitimizes a good storm for me. Part of the fun of a good storm is enjoying the good aesthetics of it. I prefer persistent snowcover, to rolling green hills in the middle of January.

3" that lasts for 2 weeks is better than 2' that's gone in 24 hours.

What??

I'd take one 37 inch dump and sacrifice every flake for the rest of the season.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care how common/uncommon it is. A good old fashion 2-4"/3-6" storm, followed by another inch or 2, then a few days of highs around 20, then an 8" storm, with normal cold that follows to keep it around for awhile, and so on, is good enough to keep me happy. I'm,looking for longetivity in terms of snow and cold. My favorite winter of all time was '02/'03 because it was so consistently cold and snowy for such a long time, with lots of small-medium sized storms, and 1 big ticket stirm ( mid Nov.- early April). Last winter was great, but only for 5 weeks. I don't care about how big the storms are or depth. If anything, tracking bigger storms is less desirable since they rarely come to fruition.

I don't need, or even want epicosity....I just want normal. Seasons in seasons, that's it.

thats not normal where you live lol. 

Unfortunately, you're right it never will be. I need to be in Ohio or some place like that maybe.

Ohio? Maybe the LES belt east of CLE, but otherwise they get far far less snow than us and also retain it worse. Nothing like being in a place where CAD doesn't exist to hold the pack.

Lots of talk on this forum about how patterns take time to change. But 96 was a yr of rapid changes. A great start to the yr followed by a holiday season " thaw" followed by "epicosity" right after the holidays, followed by the great thaw in the second half of January.

followed by 65 inches of snow

Ohio? Maybe the LES belt east of CLE, but otherwise they get far far less snow than us and also retain it worse. Nothing like being in a place where CAD doesn't exist to hold the pack.

Well, maybe Michigan, or the upper MW then. When I think of the Midwest, like Chicago for instance who's Jan average temp is greater than ours, I think of REAL winters with the pervasive snow piles in the parking Lots from Nov. - March. That's my perception of the upper Midwest at least.

Well, maybe Michigan, or the upper MW then. When I think of the Midwest, like Chicago for instance who's Jan average is greater than ours, I think of REAL winters with the pervasive snow piles in the parking Lots from Nov. - March. That's my perception of the upper Midwest at least.

Chicago gets less snow than Boston. I go often and rarely is there consistent snow otg. For them to get 6-12 it's like pulling teeth.

Lots of talk on this forum about how patterns take time to change. But 96 was a yr of rapid changes. A great start to the yr followed by a holiday season " thaw" followed by "epicosity" right after the holidays, followed by the great thaw in the second half of January.

Well we essentially were in a winter pattern for 6-7  weeks to start 1995-1996...the "thaw" after Xmas was really just near normal. The epic 2nd half of January thaw was about 3 weeks...but it took a month and a half of winter to get there.

Sometimes patterns change quickly...but it's often when there's fast flow and low blocking. The high blocking patterns can take a while to erode. Models love to break down blocks too fast.

Well we essentially were in a winter pattern for 6-7 weeks to start 1995-1996...the "thaw" after Xmas was really just near normal. The epic 2nd half of January thaw was about 3 weeks...but it took a month and a half of winter to get there.

Sometimes patterns change quickly...but it's often when there's fast flow and low blocking. The high blocking patterns can take a while to erode. Models love to break down blocks too fast.

still can't believe we had 5 consecutive days of snow in the second week of April with 30 plus inches

Well, maybe Michigan, or the upper MW then. When I think of the Midwest, like Chicago for instance who's Jan average temp is greater than ours, I think of REAL winters with the pervasive snow piles in the parking Lots from Nov. - March. That's my perception of the upper Midwest at least.

You really need upper Upper Midwest to retain snow. Torches are easy out there, and the wind is relentlessly scouring your snow pack.

You really need upper Upper Midwest to retain snow. Torches are easy out there, and the wind is relentlessly scouring your snow pack.

He's a lil confused about the regions he's thinks retain snow and get snow. Perhaps he's thinking the U.P. Of Michigan...that place may fulfill his fetish for constant snow cover and constant snow events.

Archived