joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grinch or White

Ginx snewx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colder (and windier) than 1980? On 12/25/1980, Boston had a low of -7 and an afternoon high about zero (and cheap 12:01 max of 35.) Farther north, I had an afternoon high of -16 in Ft. Kent with winds gusting into the 40s, and 1st CT Lake recorded -24/-32 (26th, with 7A obs), coldest non-MWN max I'd seen in New England, since tied on Mt. Mansfield, 1/15/2004. Boston's low on 12/25/1983 was zero. In that 1980 cold blast, only serendipity kept 10 people from freezing to death on a back road between Ft. Kent and Frenchville.

Christmas 2002 remains as perhaps the sharpest precip cutoff loss since moving to my present location. Forecast was 8-12, we got 1". About 10 miles SE in Belgrade Village there was 8", and 20 miles farther SE in AUG it was 15".

And I'd vote for another Grinch, but one cannot steal Christmas if there's no presents, can't Grinch winter if there's no winter (yet.)

Do you pull these stats out of your head? Damn good memory.

D16 models will always have a snow threat. No brainer stating the obvious of 0.0001% of verifying. I have less than that chance down here in the tropics.

At this range I would place chances at 50/50

First depict of 7am morning of the 25th rolled out at 12z today.

The 00z on the 10th results in "I'm dreaming of a white....

Its gonna be white, at least for interior SNE and quite likely to the coast (kinda worried about the Cape and Islands--sorry James). How do I know? Just a feeling looking at some of the forecasts that feature a cool down with precip possible. Besides, if we get Grinch storms in years when we have a decent December snowpack and cold, why not get an anti-Grinch storm in an awful mess of a December like this?

Do you pull these stats out of your head? Damn good memory.

As Tom Clancy wrote, "If you don't write it down, it never happened."  I've been keeping wx records since late 1961, although those prior to our moving to Maine in Jan 1973 have been lost.  Utah Climate Center and other sources have also been helpful, and like DIT, my memory keys are often related to significant wx events.  (I've also got an above average UIQ: Useless Information Quotient.)

Besides, if we get Grinch storms in years when we have a decent December snowpack and cold, why not get an anti-Grinch storm in an awful mess of a December like this?

I was thinking this also, but I don't think reverse psychology works on weather.

Getting close to range where deets can be talked about. Euro weeklies have a definite period of lower heights this year, a better setup than we have seen the last few years. As we get closer we should be able to see if we can sneak in a miracle in the midst of hell. This was last years disaster.

gfs_t850a2_noram_2014122400.png

Pete repete only worse

There's our Xmas eve crapdoor we were looking for on the 6z GFS.

So last year we were driving home from a party in Dedham around midnight-mid 60s with dews close to that as well. Driving north about 2 miles temps dropped 20 degrees and we were in another climate zone when we got home...lol. Very shallow cool that was. Driving through that boundary was the most interesting thing in weeks....but a month later ...who knew?

So last year we were driving home from a party in Dedham around midnight-mid 60s with dews close to that as well. Driving north about 2 miles temps dropped 20 degrees and we were in another climate zone when we got home...lol. Very shallow cool that was. Driving through that boundary was the most interesting thing in weeks....but a month later ...who knew?

Look back at the thread , some did. We will have to reevaluate the LR the day after Christmas.

Its gonna be white, at least for interior SNE and quite likely to the coast (kinda worried about the Cape and Islands--sorry James). How do I know? Just a feeling looking at some of the forecasts that feature a cool down with precip possible. Besides, if we get Grinch storms in years when we have a decent December snowpack and cold, why not get an anti-Grinch storm in an awful mess of a December like this?

:weenie:

South Georgia coming to visit for Xmas eve. Mothers beading up on foreheads in kitchens , trickles down armpits, smells of BO wafting thru homes as children open gifts, emergency technicians on call for AC service dairy products and desserts left out on counter spoiling , Merry Xmas !

I didn't realize you normally left the ambient temperature on your counter at refrigeration temperatures.

Archived