• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

If my memory is correct, March 1980 also featured a +1050 HP in the northern plains (perhaps a little further east in the Dakotas). Bottom line is such highs assure the most elusive ingridient for us: a bonifide cold source. That's a great sign, in my opinion, when coupled with an active STJ.

Cold first, moisture second. We havent lacked for moisture since about October 1st, either. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to think of the EPS but this was a big change.  The cold shot that comes in lasts for a few days and then we moderate and we look to go more zonal/seasonable....maybe it's trying to move to a more canonical nino pattern down the road.  I don't know...it seems though it may be a few more weeks before we see a chance at an event...it should come, eventually...I think.

Edit:  I do like the changes, it's more GEFS like but we are back to the waiting game and is right.

So I see 2 possible threats down the road.  One storm around Jan 11-12 and another Jan 16-17.  The latter better suited as a more southern focused storm with the PV pressing down by then.  (That map I just posted above is the Jan 16-17 storm).

Obviously its the end of the run but the setup and energy scream bigtime SE winter storm......this is one heck of a wedge on the 12Z GFS

Please,, Oh NO...   Tons of Old Live Oaks hanging over the roof & yard here.. Last Ice Storm had Me & Family constantly looking up, venturing outside.. No power for a week..... Had some close friends take a huge Pine through the center of their house.... Bad Ju-Ju...  :(

Still 5/6 days out but there is some hope for the piedmont triad of NC to see a little brief ice Thursday morning. Particularly Winston area and back west. Winston area will have two nights near 20 degrees possibly in the teens right before. HWO out now for the northern mountains for patchy light freezing rain. 

gfs_T2m_us_19.png

So I see 2 possible threats down the road.  One storm around Jan 11-12 and another Jan 16-17.  The latter better suited as a more southern focused storm with the PV pressing down by then.  (That map I just posted above is the Jan 16-17 storm).

Panthers first playoff game will either be 16th or 17th. Make it so, johnwow. 

Cold first, moisture second. We havent lacked for moisture since about October 1st, either.

And I think most of the rain systems we had here since then came from the STJ. If there are not signs that will stop, then there is no reason to think the precip will stop coming, and it is just a matter of time before the cold is here to make it snow, especially when the systems that brought us all the rain have been hanging around for two or three days when they come.

Suggest to view Joe Bastadi's Afternoon Saturday Summary.

http://www.weatherbell.com/videos/the-saturday-summary-45/

Although above the knowledge level of most in our forum, Joe does a good job of explaining how the bearing behind their forecast where the heat release SSW of Hawaii will build the ridge along West Coast up into Alaska and will deliver the cold goods to the Eastern USA.

jtZGbJX.jpg

Joe always proud of his investment into his work

Always something to learn when we apply ourselves!

Man the 18z GFS looks awesome from 180 on. Nice big western ridge, PV in SE Canada, -NAO, split flow, and the 850 line is south of NC for a good portion of the run, with high pressure across the northern tier. Verbatim, no snow, but that hardly means anything. Good run!

All my griping about where is the strong Nino pattern, well EPS/GEFS seem to be moving towards it in the extended, I hope. Just need to build the higher heights over southern Greenland more. The giant PAC low was to be expected, just needs to nudge a little SW.

7f992afe20c4fcdfae5a7c8e00dbeff2.jpg

All my griping about where is the strong Nino pattern, well EPS/GEFS seem to be moving towards it in the extended, I hope. Just need to build the higher heights over southern Greenland more. The giant PAC low was to be expected, just needs to nudge a little SW.

7f992afe20c4fcdfae5a7c8e00dbeff2.jpg

Yeah man, we're getting there. Hopefully, by the end of Jan, we'll be right where we want to be. It's not really reasonable to expect to go from the worst pattern possible to the best pattern possible without some work.

Archived