Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. You shouldn't be looking at the operational runs. You called yourself out! haha...even the GEFS mean I expect will get colder in future runs. You shouldn't expect wall to wall cold and storms after an extremely hot December, but the models are doing everything they can to sniff out the pattern change that's occurring but it's a gradual, not immediate, process. Everything is ok. 

rbI9bFf.gif

Hehe...in all seriousness though I'm with you. Pretty useless focusing on any one OP model run. GEFS looks to bring down the hammer at around 200 hours. 

GFS goes BOOM for western half of VA/NC for that 17-18th storm.

It'll be a cool rain with a GL low to the north on the next run, but it's pretty to look at for 6 hours anyway. 

It also quickly melts every flake of snow away with the torch through the end of the run. 

What GFS are you looking at?  12z ends with a SE big snowstorm..

What GFS are you looking at?  12z ends with a SE big snowstorm..

True, but there's a massive swath of +6-10C anomalies associated with a Midwest storm system moving east.

Meh, on second thought, might take a couple days to get here.

Again,

A) Why are we even looking at an Op run?

B- Why are we picking apart an op run?

C) Why are we looking at or picking apart anything past 300hr?

:lol:

We REALLY need snow.

GFS goes BOOM for western half of VA/NC for that 17-18th storm.

It'll be a cool rain with a GL low to the north on the next run, but it's pretty to look at for 6 hours anyway. :P

It also quickly melts every flake of snow away with the torch through the end of the run. :lol:

This look would likely produce snow for most in NC/SC if it came to fruition.  Miller A

It's basically got a banana high in place if you build up the confluence a bit more over the NE.  That's a big SE/east coast snowstorm.  Ensembles are going to be fun to look at.

True, but there's a massive swath of +6-10C anomalies associated with a Midwest storm system moving east.

Meh, on second thought, might take a couple days to get here.

Again,

A) Why are we even looking at an Op run?

Why are we picking apart an op run?

C) Why are we looking at or picking apart anything past 300hr?

We REALLY need snow.

I really like where WNC sits over the next 10-15 days. Multiple NWFS threats and the possibility of two gulf low systems tracking up the east coast. I wasn't picking the OP apart, I was just stating that it wasn't a torch.. like you were. It is sad that we can't even discuss what models are showing because people live on this emotional rollercoaster. If everyone would just objectively interrupt any model outside of day 5 without getting excited.. we would have much better discussions. There is no reason to get excited about the possibility of snowfall unless it is being shown within the 5 day period.

If everyone would just objectively interrupt any model outside of day 5 without getting excited.. we would have much better discussions. There is no reason to get excited about the possibility of snowfall unless it is being shown with the 5 day period.

That's one of the best lines I've ever read in a discussion thread. 100% agree

I should add, not only the excited part, but the despair as well

I really like where WNC sits over the next 10-15 days.  Multiple NWFS threats and the possibility of two gulf low systems tracking up the east coast.  I wasn't picking the OP apart, I was just stating that it wasn't a torch.. like you were.  It is sad that we can't even discuss what models are showing because people live on this emotional rollercoaster.  If everyone would just objectively interrupt any model outside of day 5 without getting excited.. we would have much better discussions.  There is no reason to get excited about the possibility of snowfall unless it is being shown with the 5 day period.

No, no. I'm with you on all counts. That was definitely my bust on the torch comment. Apologies.

And I believe the southern Apps are about to be in business bigtime, especially western slopes as you mentioned.

While we weren't necessarily nitpicking the model apart, we were still discussing something past 300, which only goes to show how excited for ANYTHING everyone is right now. (Especially me)

I didn't mean to come off in a negative way at all. We all know 18z will show a cutter on the 17th anyway. ;)

Could we finally be flipping cold-west/warm-east by mid-Jan...been in place since Nov...

It's a beaut, Clark! The GEFS is slowly losing that small period of "relaxation" after the 15th or so. Although I think it may be unrealistic to think we get wall to wall BN from mid-JAN all the way through the end of winter.

Well duh... where have you been?

He's been busy being POSITIVE and keeping all us cliff divers safely on the edge since Christmas! ;)

He's been looking for the warmest model he can find!

Hey now, Pack's been the most positive person on here (well, maybe Jon) since Christmastime!

Low blow, not sure I have posted anything negative this year....this forum sucks.

New year, new you!

It's amazing how terrible the gfs op is doing with this pattern change. It's so much different than the GEFS.

It really is! It really should only be discussed for entertainment/boredom purposes only until it gets a grip. We really need to spend more money on our weather model.

It's a beaut, Clark! The GEFS is slowly losing that small period of "relaxation" after the 15th or so. Although I think it may be unrealistic to think we get wall to wall BN from mid-JAN all the way through the end of winter.

He's been busy being POSITIVE and keeping all us cliff divers safely on the edge since Christmas! ;)

Hey now, Pack's been the most positive person on here (well, maybe Jon) since Christmastime!

New year, new you!

It really is! It really should only be discussed for entertainment/boredom purposes only until it gets a grip. We really need to spend more money on our weather model.

lol yeah and we just updated the gfs last year but it seems to have taken a step back. It's enough to drive you crazy.

Archived