• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

Yes. That. All the energy flying around, it's gonna be hard at 200+ hours out to focus on any one piece.

#splitflowproblems

It's a good problem to have, folks. Bad news is we may not see a storm until 3-5 days out and scramble to nail it. Exciting times ahead.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#splitflowproblems

It's a good problem to have, folks. Bad news is we may not see a storm until 3-5 days out and scramble to nail it. Exciting times ahead.

Yep.  Hard not to look at the models beyond 5 days but with this kind of setup - a pattern change plus a ton of energy pushed out by the STJ - it's going to be tough going seeing anything far out.

I thought the 12z GEFS looks pretty darn good, actually flips the EPO and shifts higher heights to Greenland/HB with still a nice -AO...#canonicalnino?

In my humble opinion, something's got to knock that 540 line down further south ....

.... just don't see what it is -- yet.

Best post you ever made! Keep up the good work!

I'm loving the 384 GFS storm, it basically has a wedge down to Waycross ! ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

This should be in banter but:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=01&model_dd=02&model_init_hh=12&fhour=384&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Phase 7 MJO (where we are)gets us closer to normal temps/slightly below.It may take another week to get in a favorable phase 8/1/2 to get a shot at winter weather so patience.

Solar has been low for a while too that should be good too with the +QBO.

The GFS is struggling with the MJO it's the only in phase 7 it's been correcting colder over the last few days . Playing catchup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20a276b543472304dd2f88c8866d053a.jpg

-32 850's? I'll take it.

Never good to have the high that far west in MT!! That screams drop straight into TX and maybe/ hopefully , bleed East, while a congrats to Amarillo and OKC, will be in order! Don't see all the excitement , especially if our arctic shot is coming from there, no bueno!

Actually looks like it could just as easily slide over the divide and deliver the arctic air to the PacNW, that would be awesome!

Never good to have the high that far west in MT!! That screams drop straight into TX and maybe/ hopefully , bleed East, while a congrats to Amarillo and OKC, will be in order! Don't see all the excitement , especially if our arctic shot is coming from there, no bueno!

Actually looks like it could just as easily slide over the divide and deliver the arctic air to the PacNW, that would be awesome!

Wrong..... Our best cold arctic outbreaks come from 1050+ highs in MT.

Matter of fact....the Christmas 1983 outbreak (most of us remember that) was from a 1060mb in MT.

I don't know Mack; that particular setup would be coming east. It probably would not be conducive to a storm, but definitely a major arctic outbreak.  

I don't know Mack; that particular setup would be coming east. It probably would not be conducive to a storm, but definitely a major arctic outbreak.

I'm just having flashbacks to watching TWC 7 day planner! Everytime it showed brutally cold air in NW MT, like highs in the -10s, -20s, it would somehow end up in the NW or buried in TX, but I'm old and memories are murky

Yeah, definitely can be true, the Dec 89 outbreak which led to the SC/GA/FL snow came from that area.  It all depends on timing in the end of a disturbance.

Agree, and being selfish (and referring to a couple posts earlier), suppression can be the ticket in the deep SE.

(I'll need to go back and look, but I think 1899 was also based on a major NW HP)

Yeah, definitely can be true, the Dec 89 outbreak which led to the SC/GA/FL snow came from that area.  It all depends on timing in the end of a disturbance.

Just went back and looked at the Christmas 1983 arctic outbreak. It came from a 1060mb high pressure in MT. This is our ticket for cold air but it will be dry.

If my memory is correct, March 1980 also featured a +1050 HP in the northern plains (perhaps a little further east in the Dakotas). Bottom line is such highs assure the most elusive ingridient for us: a bonifide cold source. That's a great sign, in my opinion, when coupled with an active STJ.

Archived