• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

The disturbing thing that really has stood out to me is the fact that all the seasonal models showing a cold Jan, Feb, Mar, are all too far west with the GOA/Aleutian vortex right off the bat for December. None of them have had the vortex as far east as it is right now and expected to continue to be. If we do not see very significant changes in the long wave synoptic pattern in January, I don't see Feb and Mar suddenly having a huge turnaround to cold and snowy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ENS continues to suggest repeating patterns for the most part but I think by the end (we've said that before) it seems it's all shifting east a bit. That could put us in better play by final part of month or into Jan unless it keeps getting pushed back. Still not a whole lot to be excited about at 360 for 12z run.

The disturbing thing that really has stood out to me is the fact that all the seasonal models showing a cold Jan, Feb, Mar, are all too far west with the GOA/Aleutian vortex right off the bat for December. None of them have had the vortex as far east as it is right now and expected to continue to be. If we do not see very significant changes in the long wave synoptic pattern in January, I don't see Feb and Mar suddenly having a huge turnaround to cold and snowy

But you do think we will see a change for the better in January?.

What is really important for this potential "event" is the first ULL that runs through the Lakes Day 6, it eventually forms the transient 50/50 that helps stop the trailing low from being a cutter. Also, the timing of the trailing wave will determine a lot. Slow, and it heads inland, quick, it'll be more SE since the 50/50 isn't locked in anywhere. 

The 12z EURO had this event too, but the wave sputtered out so we'll see. 

This could be the first legit fantasy storm to track, I'd take it at this point!

I'll use the old Ji phase, the wave that forms the storm is actually onyl 5-6 days away from being on the CONUS...People won't be excited because verbatim it is a rainstorm for us, but the pattern is actually a decent one. It is only 1 run, but it has some support across the board, let's see what the EURO does. 

6z gfs wow...full blown pattern change and a christmas bomb

wow.  realizing its fantasy land it still looks better than it has been especially that storm which would be a combined Festivus/X-mas miracle.  Been down this road before so I won't get too merry just yet. 

6z gfs wow...full blown pattern change and a christmas bomb

wow.  realizing its fantasy land it still looks better than it has been especially that storm which would be a combined Festivus/X-mas miracle.  Been down this road before so I won't get too merry just yet. 

Well it is a "bomb" of sorts, but you did notice it goes right over us and that it's rain as depicted.  Not far, perhaps, from things being different, but we're talking la-la land so no real point in picking apart details.  At any rate, that period has been showing up as more active lately and the pattern trying to look less putrid.

Well it is a "bomb" of sorts, but you did notice it goes right over us and that it's rain as depicted.  Not far, perhaps, from things being different, but we're talking la-la land so no real point in picking apart details.  At any rate, that period has been showing up as more active lately and the pattern trying to look less putrid.

yes I noticed.  Like you mentioned just happy to see something on the menu other than a warm pile of fecal matter but that may still be the main course.

Two runs in a row the 18-19th storm is a SNE hit. We gotta bring this baby south.

Euro ens have some interesting tidbits. Nice (but small) cluster of lows moving from eastern NC and off the delmarva d9-10. Looking at the members there are some pretty nice tracks and some pretty big storms. However, the ones that do give snow look really dicey with temps (to be expected of course). 

I can probably speak for the whole forum that even a sloppy messy storm with marginal temps that produces even some non accum snow would be a big win at this point. Hopefully the 12z ens run ups the ante. 

would be funny if we had a top 10 December snow month from 3 storms that occur form Dec 18-Dec 26

Maybe they will be wrong but the ensembles in no way support the operation idea past day 10.  They revert to this crap torch pattern for the end of December.  Until I see some consensus and the "pattern change" actually moving closer in time on the guidance I remain skeptical.

Maybe they will be wrong but the ensembles in no way support the operation idea past day 10.  They revert to this crap torch pattern for the end of December.  Until I see some consensus and the "pattern change" actually moving closer in time on the guidance I remain skeptical.

JB says the models are always too slow to react with the big SOI drop. Maybe the ensembles start changing their tune soon..or maybe JB is wrong lol

Pattern is definitely changing for NA. Right now the entire continent is a flood of above normal mid-level air. The trough axis out west migrates east over time on the ensembles and the height pattern over AK/nw canada goes from atrocious to pretty gross to notsoawful.

Looking at our area and the NE specifically it does look bad d10-15. But things are definitely changing for the western 2/3rds of NA. 

IMO- a hard to budge ridge isn't the most likely sensible wx d10-15 and even through the end of the month. We're going to have progressive flow and more amplified troughs moving in and out. So stagnant warmth (imo) isn't what the pattern looks like. 

Now if we're talking specifically about snow chances in the pattern...that looks like a steaming pile of dung but not impossible for flukes. We've been getting snow in patterns that generally shouldn't snow for 2 years straight. We'll need a lot of luck this month but hopefully the hostility keeps stepping down through the next 4 weeks. 

Archived