• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

I don't think people are really talking about a fundamental shift in the overall pattern, but rather the possibility of a transient relaxation of this putrid mess that may slightly open a window. I don't think we see a real shift until mid January at the earliest.

that's exactly it.  like many of us I have a lot of time on my hands during holiday and model watching is fun...weather models included.  any storminess is good in my book.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattern is definitely changing for NA. Right now the entire continent is a flood of above normal mid-level air. The trough axis out west migrates east over time on the ensembles and the height pattern over AK/nw canada goes from atrocious to pretty gross to notsoawful.

Looking at our area and the NE specifically it does look bad d10-15. But things are definitely changing for the western 2/3rds of NA. 

IMO- a hard to budge ridge isn't the most likely sensible wx d10-15 and even through the end of the month. We're going to have progressive flow and more amplified troughs moving in and out. So stagnant warmth (imo) isn't what the pattern looks like. 

Now if we're talking specifically about snow chances in the pattern...that looks like a steaming pile of dung but not impossible for flukes. We've been getting snow in patterns that generally shouldn't snow for 2 years straight. We'll need a lot of luck this month but hopefully the hostility keeps stepping down through the next 4 weeks. 

i will defer to you since honestly you follow/track and have become an expert on this long range stuff.  I just glance at stuff beyond 10 days from time to time and I peeked at the day 15 GEFS from a run or two ago and the h5 anamalies looked almost the same as right now.  But that was just one frame from one run and your analysis is better, plus more optimistic. 

i will defer to you since honestly you follow/track and have become an expert on this long range stuff.  I just glance at stuff beyond 10 days from time to time and I peeked at the day 15 GEFS from a run or two ago and the h5 anamalies looked almost the same as right now.  But that was just one frame from one run and your analysis is better, plus more optimistic. 

If you have wxbell, loop the EPS northern hemisphere h5 plots. There are marked improvements through time in our source region. Basically the cold rebuilds through the western 2/3rds of Canada. That HAS to happen or were literally toast. I don't think I've seen such a disgusting 850 temp anomaly panel for NA then what is happening right now. 

We go from this

post-2035-0-16669200-1449763902_thumb.jp

To this

post-2035-0-14839900-1449763913_thumb.jp

The above normal stuff in northern Canada is only like .5 - 1C above. Plenty cold up there this time of year. 

Nice loop Ian. Actually looks a bit like the ens members that show snow here. Are you able to pull analog from SV based on specific h5 or mslp panels? I'd be curious to what pops up from last nights EPS centered around d8-10. 

Doesn't line up quite right per their periods. This is from EPS. Don't see 1982 in any of them though.

6-10 based on 1-5 period

1983-11-27

1951-12-11

2002-12-23

1979-11-30

2003-12-17

1984-11-27

1980-11-28

1997-12-10

1999-12-12

1973-11-27

11-15 based on 6-10 period

1968-12-07

1962-12-08

1977-12-26

1989-01-02

1979-12-07

1993-01-02

2007-12-26

2006-12-28

1952-12-13

1994-11-28

I was up almost all night. Sweet event and a real forecast bust by all forecasters.

That's gotta be about our most anomalous month when it comes to snow averages and temp avgs. Monthly was only 0.1 behind warmest Dec in DC.

DGEX, right? ;)

Yes, its 240, and yes, it will likely be gone next run, but models are finally hinting at the potential for our luck to change during this time period and just after

That's more or less my take.  Right now I'm not taking any d+10 storm that pops up all that seriously, other than they're sure nice to look at.  But I'd like to think at least it's a sign that things may (emphasis on that word!) be changing for the better as we move into the second half of December.  We could just as easily go back to putrescence (wouldn't be surprising), but as others have said, maybe this is an indication that we'll have some window of opportunity.

Bob is right in that the pattern is shifting in some ways, the trough in the west allows cold to reload in canada but the AO/PNA combo is pretty crappy and I feel like if it wasn't for just how god awful the current pattern has been we probably wouldn't be at all interested in this coming one. 

It is a godawful pattern we're in. I mean wow. Just the possibility of the warmest Dec on record is stomach turning if you like snowstorms. 

But we have to start somewhere. I've given up on the AO for the next month. We've seen this before. It's not going to magically flip this month. However, the changes showing up are encouraging. My fear was a reset to where we are now. As each day goes by it seems that is less likely. 12z GEFS definitely look far less hostile in the PNA/EPO domain space as we approach the holiday. I would GLADLY welcome a +PNA/-EPO this month even if the AO/NAO suck. 

It is a godawful pattern we're in. I mean wow. Just the possibility of the warmest Dec on record is stomach turning if you like snowstorms. 

But we have to start somewhere. I've given up on the AO for the next month. We've seen this before. It's not going to magically flip this month. However, the changes showing up are encouraging. My fear was a reset to where we are now. As each day goes by it seems that is less likely. 12z GEFS definitely look far less hostile in the PNA/EPO domain space as we approach the holiday. I would GLADLY welcome a +PNA/-EPO this month even if the AO/NAO suck. 

I agree with what you said 100% and the changes are encouraging if we are viewing them from the perspective of "eventually it could lead to something".  Anything different is good right now.  But I think some people are actually viewing this period as having potential and that was what I was taking issue with.  A fluke can happen i guess in almost any pattern (except this one) but I really don't see much potential in the pattern showing up in the long ranges.  I do see how it is a step towards a possible pattern in January that could have promise. 

I agree with what you said 100% and the changes are encouraging if we are viewing them from the perspective of "eventually it could lead to something".  Anything different is good right now.  But I think some people are actually viewing this period as having potential and that was what I was taking issue with.  A fluke can happen i guess in almost any pattern (except this one) but I really don't see much potential in the pattern showing up in the long ranges.  I do see how it is a step towards a possible pattern in January that could have promise. 

This is pretty much how I'm looking at things.  Nothing more, nothing less, really.  Well, I did mention the hope for a "window of opportunity" for an accumulating snow event, but that's more of a long shot kind of hope for this month.  Right now, I don't see that as overly great of a chance, and I'm not expecting a December 1982 style fluke storm in the midst of a very warm month at all.  That all said, I still feel that we don't get a complete shut-out thrown at us this month, and that we'll score a couple of colder days with some mood flakes to a coating at some point.

Archived