joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I need a couple of lessons from the big boys.

First, what are the GEPS?

Second, if only looking at the lower 48, can someone explain why the EPS and GEPS would be bad at day 10.  I know it doesn't look "great", but I think we have seen snow in worse patterns than that.

OK, I need a couple of lessons from the big boys.

First, what are the GEPS?

Second, if only looking at the lower 48, can someone explain why the EPS and GEPS would be bad at day 10.  I know it doesn't look "great", but I think we have seen snow in worse patterns than that.

Not one of the "big boys" here per se...but the GEFS (I assume you meant that, and not GEPS) refers to the Global Ensemble Forecast System.  Which is the GFS-based ensemble system (21 members, including the control; the control is the lower resolution version of the deterministic GFS, essentially).

As for whether the EPS or GEFS look "bad" or "good", that's open to some interpretation.  Typically one would want to look at the ensemble mean flow pattern, which would would give a better idea of things compared to the deterministic GFS (there are reasons for this, a bit complicated...but it's been proven in the literature that use of the ensemble mean in the medium-longer range is better than using the deterministic.  I'm greatly simplifying here, I  know!).  There are many times that the ensemble mean...either the EPS or GEFS or both...might look not so good at the same forecast hour compared to what the deterministic versions look like, or vice-versa.  You can sort of think of the deterministic model as a type of "ensemble member" itself, i.e., one solution of many, though at higher resolution than the ensembles as I said earlier.  One would also like to see the ensemble member spread of solutions, to get an idea of how well the model system has a handle on the overall flow, e.g., if there's a tight cluster around the mean, then there's more confidence, generally.  Or, you could have, say, two solution clusters widely disparate from each other, in which case the mean is not too useful.  As you can imagine, that makes interpreting things a lot more difficult (which cluster to go with, etc.)!

I know there are others that could better describe this, but hope this is helpful and reasonably accurate at least, as a quick overview!

Not one of the "big boys" here per se...but the GEFS (I assume you meant that, and not GEPS) refers to the Global Ensemble Forecast System. Which is the GFS-based ensemble system (21 members, including the control; the control is the lower resolution version of the deterministic GFS, essentially).

As for whether the EPS or GEFS look "bad" or "good", that's open to some interpretation. Typically one would want to look at the ensemble mean flow pattern, which would would give a better idea of things compared to the deterministic GFS (there are reasons for this, a bit complicated...but it's been proven in the literature that use of the ensemble mean in the medium-longer range is better than using the deterministic. I'm greatly simplifying here, I know!). There are many times that the ensemble mean...either the EPS or GEFS or both...might look not so good at the same forecast hour compared to what the deterministic versions look like, or vice-versa. You can sort of think of the deterministic model as a type of "ensemble member" itself, i.e., one solution of many, though at higher resolution than the ensembles as I said earlier. One would also like to see the ensemble member spread of solutions, to get an idea of how well the model system has a handle on the overall flow, e.g., if there's a tight cluster around the mean, then there's more confidence, generally. Or, you could have, say, two solution clusters widely disparate from each other, in which case the mean is not too useful. As you can imagine, that makes interpreting things a lot more difficult (which cluster to go with, etc.)!

I know there are others that could better describe this, but hope this is helpful and reasonably accurate at least, as a quick overview!

No, on TropTB it's GEPS, GEFS, EPS. I don't know what GEPS is.

And....I was saying the mean on the two I mentioned didn't look that bad over the lower 48.

GEPS on trop tids is the Canadian ens. I tend not to look at it much.

D10-13 looks like our first cool shot this month. Most likely transient unless the onslaught of shortwaves pounding the west coast turns into a nice stable ridge.

If something actually hits during d10-15 it would be quite a fluke and very low probability

As Wes pointed out in the panic thread, the EPS are hideous at the end. However, the now what appears to be a fairly large and cold trough undercutting the higher heights in Canada d10-12 was not even hinted at on the EPS 4 days ago.

The end of the EPS runs have consistently shown ugly trough west/ridge east day in day out but at closer ranges things aren't as dire. I will admit that the d15 look on the 12z EPS is one of the worst yet at long range. As Ji said earlier...all the reds and blues are in the wrong places...lol

12-18" with temps below freezing the entire time? I know it made me smile.

I think that's the best modeled storm so far this season.

Highly unlikely it would do that given the 500mb at the time. As noted there would be interest probably followed by failure if it was near term. :P

As Wes pointed out in the panic thread, the EPS are hideous at the end. However, the now what appears to be a fairly large and cold trough undercutting the higher heights in Canada d10-12 was not even hinted at on the EPS 4 days ago.

The end of the EPS runs have consistently shown ugly trough west/ridge east day in day out but at closer ranges things aren't as dire. I will admit that the d15 look on the 12z EPS is one of the worst yet at long range. As Ji said earlier...all the reds and blues are in the wrong places...lol

I guess you only see day 15 on pay site?

18z GFS keeps up the decent LR idea... has two decent storm chances near at the end of the run -- all I really care is that its still there... also again hints at the idea of a decent cold blast heading our way as the run ends

-28c 850s show up in MT/NW Upper Plains states as the run ends

Let's see how this plays out. Can't really look a whole lot worse than this for us d15. Let's see how the period around the 23rd evolves as we get closer.

d15puke.JPG

I was looking at the 10 day, but my thoughts apply here as well. The heights here look bad by that map but they aren't that high (awful). We can get seasonable air under heights that are 50 meters above normal. And that flow, while not a classic big snow pattern, could still let a weak snow happen. Tell me why I'm wrong. I like to learn this stuff.

BTW, the 10 day looked better, IMO.

I saw it and pretended I didn't...I've learned this is not the thread to bring up day 9 fantasy snow that will be gone next run...

I think we should point out positives when they are there. I don't trust the gfs out very far, but I think we are starting to see at least glimmers of hope.

With the change in the EPS in the 10-12 day period (not shown 4 days ago), can we conclude that there may or will be changes in the longer range on the EPS, assuming the undercutting cold trough idea is correct.

I was looking at the 10 day, but my thoughts apply here as well. The heights here look bad by that map but they aren't that high (awful). We can get seasonable air under heights that are 50 meters above normal. And that flow, while not a classic big snow pattern, could still let a weak snow happen. Tell me why I'm wrong. I like to learn this stuff.

BTW, the 10 day looked better, IMO.

15 day means are always smoothed out quite a bit due to spread over time. Unfortunately with the 15 day plot I posted there are prominent low height anomalies in all the regions we want + heights and vice versa. Basically looks like a complete reset to what we are seeing this week. Hard to put any + spin on that plot other than praying it's dead wrong.

The last three op runs of the GFS have some idea of ridging near Greenland...later on 18z but it pops up...maybe the EPS is wrong. Who knows at least Xmas doesn't look torch-ish like right now...and at least there is some real cold showing up in upper Midwest...trying to find something to grasp

15 day means are always smoothed out quite a bit due to spread over time. Unfortunately with the 15 day plot I posted there are prominent low height anomalies in all the regions we want + heights and vice versa. Basically looks like a complete reset to what we are seeing this week. Hard to put any + spin on that plot other than praying it's dead wrong.

Hey Bob, give me a little lesson on the EPO. Isn't the negative phase when you have lower than normal heights in Bering Sea/western Aleutians area and higher than normal Alaska/gulf of Alaska? Or do I have that totally screwed up?

Hey Bob, give me a little lesson on the EPO. Isn't the negative phase when you have lower than normal heights in Bering Sea/western Aleutians area and higher than normal Alaska/gulf of Alaska? Or do I have that totally screwed up?

https://kcstormfront.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/epo3.png

Bering straights/eastern Siberia is more of the WPO domain.  Alaska/GOA is the EPO domain.

In extremely simplistic and non technical terms for anyone trying to learn what to look for on h5 plots, here's the most basic...

What you want to see in nw Canada and eastern AK is a convex kink in the isobars and at the very least "white or a little bit of yellow" indicating normal or above normal heights.

Why? Because of 2 very important things. 1) it means the pac jet full of maritime air is aimed at AK and westward and not directly into British Columbia and southward and 2) it means high pressure under the ridge can easily build big cold air masses in western Canada that dump into the plains and eventually here. It's also an important pattern for cross polar flow (especially in the absence of blocking).

If we aren't going to get help with that type of ridge we better have blocking or we're literally toast. When we have no blocking and no help from the -epo height pattern we will struggle very badly for air masses cold enough for frozen precip.

In extremely simplistic and non technical terms for anyone trying to learn what to look for on h5 plots, here's the most basic...

What you want to see in nw Canada and eastern AK is a convex kink in the isobars and at the very least "white or a little bit of yellow" indicating normal or above normal heights.

Why? Because of 2 very important things. 1) it means the pac jet full of maritime air is aimed at AK and westward and not directly into British Columbia and southward and 2) it means high pressure under the ridge can easily build big cold air masses in western Canada that dump into the plains and eventually here. It's also an important pattern for cross polar flow (especially in the absence of blocking).

If we aren't going to get help with that type of ridge we better have blocking or we're literally toast. When we have no blocking and no help from the -epo height pattern we will struggle very badly for air masses cold enough for frozen precip.

So is the 384 hr h5 plot on the Op GFS 18z something decent? All caveats apply and I know it won't look like that later. I mean that looks like something I would think is good.

Yes it's horrible which is why I chose to just focus on the op. A weenie at heart. that screams same old pattern with partly sunny and a high of 53 on Xmas. If that is to be, then so be it. I will just pour a little more Jack in my coffee. After this weekend I might need therapy. Going to reserve a suite in the panic room.

Archived