• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

No, on TropTB it's GEPS, GEFS, EPS. I don't know what GEPS is.

And....I was saying the mean on the two I mentioned didn't look that bad over the lower 48.

Ooops...well, sorry about that, I guess I totally mis-interpreted what you were asking! :bag:  :lol:  Hope what I mentioned was at least not totally without merit though.  I have no idea what the GEPS is either...

GEPS on trop tids is the Canadian ens. I tend not to look at it much.

...and now have the answer (thanks, Bob)!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW- the parallel EPS 45 day data on wxbell shows the first half of Jan to basically be normal temps and climo snow on the means. Coldest period is Jan 11th on. Could just be simple climo built in. OTOH- ens mean precip over the next 45 days is 5-6" so above normal precip. 

I'm not sure it means anything to be honest but it doesn't show a torch so there's that...lol

12z GGEM at 240 is juicy...

ETA:  Yes, mattie g, but its the only interesting weather on the models right now ;)

Completely agreed, yoda.  I just don't think people should get upset about a poor look in the long-range right now.  Just because we're torching and the AO and NAO suck for us, there's no reason to think that can't/won't change as we press into January.

FWIW- the parallel EPS 45 day data on wxbell shows the first half of Jan to basically be normal temps and climo snow on the means. Coldest period is Jan 11th on. Could just be simple climo built in. OTOH- ens mean precip over the next 45 days is 5-6" so above normal precip. 

I'm not sure it means anything to be honest but it doesn't show a torch so there's that...lol

Appreciate your posts Bob.

12z gfs op closely agrees with the overall look that the EPS and GEFS have with persistent troughing in the west and coldest air focused west as well. We aren't getting snow or cold until that type of persistence has run its course.

Gefs keeps pushing back any transition out of the trough west/ridge east pattern. Now has it xmas week. Very end of the 12Z gefs is decent were it to ever materialize .

Gefs keeps pushing back any transition out of the trough west/ridge east pattern. Now has it xmas week. Very end of the 12Z gefs is decent were it to ever materialize .

We've been through this exercise a lot over the years. The way out of this rough stretch is going to be later rather than sooner most likely. I suppose the bright side is timing. Assuming things do get better in Jan, it's a good month for so-so setups unlike early and late in the year.

Weird euro run today. Kinda bizarre d8-10. Almost certainly a blip.

We've been through this exercise a lot over the years. The way out of this rough stretch is going to be later rather than sooner most likely. I suppose the bright side is timing. Assuming things do get better in Jan, it's a good month for so-so setups unlike early and late in the year.

The GFS look at around day 10 would at least open the door to at least the chance of a winter type event............even if its equal to the chance of the Vikings winning the Super Bowl.

The GFS look at around day 10 would at least open the door to at least the chance of a winter type event............even if its equal to the chance of the Vikings winning the Super Bowl.

As a fellow Vikings fan from TN, the truth hurts........  I didn't realize we could even calculate odds for something that has never happened.  

It seems the GFS perpetually leaves the door open in the LR, unfortunately.

I didn't really see a reason to simply leave the trough behind on day 8, but that's what it did.  It's the LR though, so while fun to discuss, not much value other than showing the likelihood of keeping all the blues/purples/oranges/reds largely in all the wrong places.  lol

I agree that ops and ens agree on a robust trough digging west first and then bleeding colder air east. The 12z euro op is really strange in the west. Digs the trough in the west and the sw on the base backs into the ridge that's sandwiched between another sw in the Pac. The ridge gets pinched into a rex config with a nearly 1050hp pushing down. It just looks weird. 

I would think the most likely outcome would be for the shortwave in the west to get ejected much quicker and any associated storm would end up tracking to our nw. 

I agree that ops and ens agree on a robust trough digging west first and then bleeding colder air east. The 12z euro op is really strange in the west. Digs the trough in the west and the sw on the base backs into the ridge that's sandwiched between another sw in the Pac. The ridge gets pinched into a rex config with a nearly 1050hp pushing down. It just looks weird. 

I would think the most likely outcome would be for the shortwave in the west to get ejected much quicker and any associated storm would end up tracking to our nw.

And that seems to be the GFS bag of tricks these days.  Show a storm along the se/ma at day 9-10 and either dissolve it completely or send it to our nw...........very far to our nw.

Archived