wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that follow the CFS2, the weeklies off of Tropical Tidbits are fairly encouraging for the last week in December, and not that bad the week before vs. the next week or so. In fact, I'm getting the feeling that the next 10 days may be the most anomalous for some time to come....pending the new Euro monthlies that come out on Wednesday. Lol

The euro monthlies and especially weeklies stunk last winter anyway. Remember they didn't catch on to the pattern flip til after it basically already started. They did at times show it on one run of the weeklies then the next week they'd come out and it was a torch again. I've noticed that with the euro weeklies that they have a bit of that GFS type mid range hiccup issues. Where GFS loses a storm mid range the euro weeklies sometimes lose a pattern change they saw 8 weeks out at 4 weeks

The euro monthlies and especially weeklies stunk last winter anyway. Remember they didn't catch on to the pattern flip til after it basically already started. They did at times show it on one run of the weeklies then the next week they'd come out and it was a torch again. I've noticed that with the euro weeklies that they have a bit of that GFS type mid range hiccup issues. Where GFS loses a storm mid range the euro weeklies sometimes lose a pattern change they saw 8 weeks out at 4 weeks

Since the weeklies just extend the previous 0z regular ensembles out 2 more weeks, d10-15 needs to be accurate for the weeklies to be accurate. IMO- weeklies do well with typical and stable patterns. They do a nice job showing the progression. But anytime there is volatility or a substantial pattern flip that isn't picked up in d10-15 they're usefulness diminishes quickly. 

Right now the weeklies have been doing really well in general. Which is unfortunate...lol. 

Heh, just noticed the euro ens last night have a muddy coastal signal centered around the 19th-20th. MSLP + low locations are mildly interesting and more members showing snow in our area than I've seen in a while. Climo and no strong cold signal would greatly favor elevation to our west in anything were to happen of course but since it's the only thing showing up anywhere we may as well keep an eyeball on it. 

Long range goofus so reliable..lol

Right now the GFS beyond about day 4 is "the end of its (useful) run". 

I normally defend it, but lately its been pretty bad IMO at any range at all.  Just last week about this time we were looking at a big bomb of a coastal low for this week.

Is he not allowed to make comment on anything without being picked apart?

When you're touted as a top innovative long range forecaster you're going to be scrutinized. Getting the basics wrong is never a good thing. This is not a Nina pattern. If anything it's more amplified than typical in El Nino but the background state screams strong Nino.

Sample size is so small not sure why people hug analogs anyway. Not to mention we haven't seen a super nino in 20 years amidst a strongly warming climate.

When you're touted as a top innovative long range forecaster you're going to be scrutinized. Getting the basics wrong is never a good thing. This is not a Nina pattern. If anything it's more amplified than typical in El Nino but the background state screams strong Nino.

Sample size is so small not sure why people hug analogs anyway. Not to mention we haven't seen a super nino in 20 years amidst a strongly warming climate.

What do you mean by that?  Larger pattern?  Continental, hemispheric?

I was looking at the long range gfs and thought the same thing.  Of course, it probably will be off in some ways, but from day 10 on it sure looked like a NS dominated pattern, at least with the low pressures.

Well I wouldn't argue it looks classic Nino at the moment. Though the ideas of Nino and Nina are winter long more than a snapshot.

I tend to think we're seeing some of the 'resilient' patterning of last several years mixed in. Plenty of people have uttered it looks Nina like he's not the first. Ninas don't usually have a wet southern tier of the US and there's no big GOA high. Plus globally there are Nino impacts all over the place. WC south of PacNW down into CA has been dry lately which is a bit weird but it's early still.

I think partly impacts are lagging a bit more than usual.. this thing was still going gung on big 3.4 anomaly gains into early/mid Nov. 1997 slowed its big rises about a month earlier. Any sort of snapshot leaves a lot out of the discussion. Nino been ninoing all over the place for a while.

I don't have an issue with folks leveling educated criticism at him, but drive-by comments about his being an attention whore and the like really get under my skin.

It might have some Nina attributes, but overall, no...It's been quite Nino-like so far at least at the upper levels..Big NPAC low anomaly...Pos Height anomaly near Hudson bay..

12/1/2015 - 12/5/2015

attachicon.gifninodec.PNG

Nina Dec Composite: 

attachicon.gifninadec.PNG

Last week looks pretty similar to stronger nino Decembers

H0IHD4M.png

AsrnOse.png

Def some differences and pattern advertised ahead will change the look to some degree. Plus it's 7 days vs 4 weeks plus. Some of those stronger Ninos could probably be tossed but not my cup of tea. The dipole from Pac to CONUS seems pretty standard tho.

Weeklies (week 4 in particular) are acceptable. Aleutian low retros west far enough to kink heights up in eastern AK/nw Canada during week 4. No blocking on the means but at least the npac cooperates a little better.

The short story is the pattern isn't great but not awful either.

Some agreement with the CFS2 it seems.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cfs-avg&region=eus&pkg=T2ma5d&runtime=2015120712&fh=600&xpos=0&ypos=172

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cfs-avg&region=eus&pkg=apcpna7d&runtime=2015120712&fh=600&xpos=0&ypos=172

Archived