wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need more optimism. Euro weekly mean snow is 1-4" through the area and control run spits out 4-10".

The "slow" start of winter was advertised on every seasonal model, even the ones that show an improvement post 1/15/16. But patience is always easy to preach but hard to have. In my mind, anything that falls before 1/15/16 will be a gift.

I knew this event was done for when the 12z Euro came in today. Time and again you see this pattern of lost storms, bizarre el nino.

This last event was pretty nino'y but we can't seem to buy any coastals.

Gefs and EPS are starting to diverge in the d10-15 range. Euro sticking with a more prominent ridge in the east and the Gefs less hostile. Not cold or snowy look or anything. Just more seasonal temp wise.

Some of thr numerical indices look to become less hostile around the 15th or so. Unanimous there. Gefs and EPS both shift the ao/nao neutral around the same time.

Imo- our first cold air mass that is deep enough for even a remote chance at frozen may stop by in the 15th- 20th range. It's a major longshot but it's all we got. A little sip of lemonade.

Gefs and EPS are starting to diverge in the d10-15 range. Euro sticking with a more prominent ridge in the east and the Gefs less hostile. Not cold or snowy look or anything. Just more seasonal temp wise.

Some of thr numerical indices look to become less hostile around the 15th or so. Unanimous there. Gefs and EPS both shift the ao/nao neutral around the same time.

Imo- our first cold air mass that is deep enough for even a remote chance at frozen may stop by in the 15th- 20th range. It's a major longshot but it's all we got. A little sip of lemonade.

Yup...add a little bit of Gentleman Jack to that and we'd be in business! ;)

But yes, the longer range again looks "less hostile".  It's similar to the hints we saw a few days ago that kind of disappeared earlier this week (or so it seemed), and now are there again.  Not saying it's anything really exciting or huge, but intriguing.  As I said before, enough to keep me looking I suppose!

I don't trust the GFS, especially if the storm next week fails.  It was pretty bad at about 8-9 days for last weekend.

If I don't trust the main model, then I have a hard time trusting its ensemble.

I kept up with the new ensembles when wxbell was running them parallel. Tracked much closer to the euro and less spread overall. Right now they are diverging though. Should be a good test. 

I don't think judging the gfs op by a storm beyond 5 days is fair tbh. GFS does fine at the range it's intended to be used for. 

I kept up with the new ensembles when wxbell was running them parallel. Tracked much closer to the euro and less spread overall. Right now they are diverging though. Should be a good test. 

I don't think judging the gfs op by a storm beyond 5 days is fair tbh. GFS does fine at the range it's intended to be used for. 

Well, this has been talked up before.  If there's no faith in a solution that a gfs member spits out, then, IMO, there's not much faith in its ensemble.  I know that when you merge a bunch of them together you lessen the effect that errors in ind members has, but still.........8 days out isn't that far for a general idea, even for the op.  Not specifics.  I think for now my money would be on the Euro ens.

BTW, is there a place for me to see the para ens members?  I noticed that within the past few days Trop Tidbits has taken the GEFS Para out of the list of ens.  Is it in use now as the GEFS?

By the way, can you explain how they are diverging?  I haven't had any time to look at anything this morning.

By the way, can you explain how they are diverging?  I haven't had any time to look at anything this morning.

EPS keep the lowest heights centered along the west coast (specifically off the coast of WA and OR) and the conus trough axis is further west. Basically the EPS say the cold air will really struggle to move east over d10-15 and even worse, cold air won't be able to build in NW canada either. 

GEFS is friendlier with the general conus trough axis being a good bit further east (centered east of the MS river) and also has a  kink of higher heights in NW canada. Something you always want to see develop in the absence of blocking. 

The short story is the EPS say we suck ass and stay warm at the surface and mid levels d10-15 and the GEFS says we stand a good chance at seasonable air through the period. 

Archived