• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

A complete shut-out (0 snow or sleet) is rare, but no measurable has a 23% chance in any given year based on the entire historical record, and a 30% chance based on the 1981-2010 period.  Right off the bat.  This year those odds are elevated, for sure.

I still expect this month to end up warmer than normal (not exactly going out on a limb there!), perhaps even well above normal.  But I would be surprised at a shut-out for snow all the same.  A mangled, slushy inch closer in-town with maybe a bit more farther out seems like a decent bet at least at some point.  Last year, even DCA managed to trace out (not a zero), with a +4 departure for December.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen a lot worse, that's for certain!  Ignoring the eye-sore that is the 970 Great Lakes low :lol: , it is indeed nice to see at least a fantasy -NAO and a huge high over Greenland late in the GFS run.

Yeah, I have to admit that the GFS the past couple of days has been showing glimmers of hope beyond about mid-month.  Nothing spectacular, mind you, but something that leads one to hope for better changes down the road rather than a wall-to-wall Pacific firehose.  It remains to be seen, of course, if there's any validity to this, but it will keep me looking at least.

The only problem is the GEFS still are keeping the AO negative and the heights below normal over Greenland. The GFS could be right but could also be very wrong.  I wouldn't bet on the AO going negative as soon as the GFS is forecasting with the GEFS and Euro ensemble means still showing a positive AO though they certainly are not as positive as earlier in the period. 

that makes no sense considering what Tropical Tidbits has from the Canadian for January 2m temps

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=us&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2015120100&fh=1&xpos=0&ypos=384

Even if it did, temps of normal to +1 isn't going to impact winter weather chances.  At least not enough to be concerned about.

that makes no sense considering what Tropical Tidbits has from the Canadian for January

I pretty much only look at h5 on the seasonals. Then look at the calendar and draw my own temp maps in my head. Seasonal model 2m temp maps have a habit of not matching the upper levels.

I would take the CANSIPS h5 for Jan and run with it any year. Not perfect but far far from awful.

The only problem is the GEFS still are keeping the AO negative and the heights below normal over Greenland. The GFS could be right but could also be very wrong.  I wouldn't bet on the AO going negative as soon as the GFS is forecasting with the GEFS and Euro ensemble means still showing a positive AO though they certainly are not as positive as earlier in the period. 

Oh, I know...and I did notice that in the ensembles, too.  I was just trying to say that it's much less hostile-looking at the least...enough to keep me watching, I guess. :lol:

I pretty much only look at h5 on the seasonals. Then look at the calendar and draw my own temp maps in my head. Seasonal model 2m temp maps have a habit of not matching the upper levels.

I would take the CANSIPS h5 for Jan and run with it any year. Not perfect but far far from awful.

I didn't post the 5H because the map that was posted was for 2m temps and I wanted to compare apples to apples

5H looks better than the 2m temp and precip maps imho, so here it is for those that didn't look

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=namer&pkg=z500a&runtime=2015120100&fh=1&xpos=0&ypos=288

So which should we choose?

I didn't post the 5H because the map that was posted was for 2m temps and I wanted to compare apples to apples

5H looks better than the 2m temp and precip maps imho, so here it is for those that didn't look

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cansips&region=namer&pkg=z500a&runtime=2015120100&fh=1&xpos=0&ypos=288

post-5736-0-46059600-1449000380_thumb.jp

GFS once again showing that mini nuke for next Tuesday, strictly a rain storm obviously, but could have a lot of moisture and decent wind...EURO showed it as well. If we cant get snow I'd at least like to track a storm. 

Always think we waste opportunities and do not get too many for good track.. but no cold air is an us - obviouis! Cold rain! Maybe some highest mountains snow? A lot of cold rain on that run!

0z Euro pounds us pretty good...1.5"+...prolonged event...though Euro loves 3 day events and they usually end up being way shorter....

Back to back euro runs with a big soaker in the same time frame. Gfs has different versions but similar. It's probably the only interesting thing we have to watch for an extended period of time. LR guidance is pushing back any meaningful change for our area (as expected).

LR guidance nailed the crappy pattern we are entering at long leads. I see no reason to doubt anything that is currently being advertised. It's going to be a long month...

Back to back euro runs with a big soaker in the same time frame. Gfs has different versions but similar. It's probably the only interesting thing we have to watch for an extended period of time. LR guidance is pushing back any meaningful change for our area (as expected).

LR guidance nailed the crappy pattern we are entering at long leads. I see no reason to doubt anything that is currently being advertised. It's going to be a long month...

Yeah, but the days are shorter so it should go fast.    :wacko2:

There are some winters that find any excuse to be cold and snowy, on the other hand there are some that get caught in a loop of warm and snowless....

Some winters are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have +AO, +NAO, +EPO and -PNA  thrust upon them...

Archived