• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

The glimmer of hope I mentioned for the weeks 4-5 on the CFS weeklies  yesterday was obliterated by today.   This pattern seems to be hardening its stance, or these analogs are just unable to pickup on stratospheric changes that might help us eventually.

sometimes these warm patterns just lock in and are difficult to disrupt.  Hope we see the changes come January, but it's anyone's guess at this point, this nino is crazy as noted above with things acting like a Nina in spots etc....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The glimmer of hope I mentioned for the weeks 4-5 on the CFS weeklies yesterday was obliterated by today. This pattern seems to be hardening its stance, or these analogs are just unable to pickup on stratospheric changes that might help us eventually.

Could this be the first snowless winter? The earliest start to the growing season? It would certainly appear that way into early Jan. Excellent model agreement weeks in advance.

Tonight's rain should help with vegetation and early blooming for Xmas week when we hit the 60s and 70s again.

Could this be the first snowless winter? The earliest start to the growing season? It would certainly appear that way into early Jan. Excellent model agreement weeks in advance.

Tonight's rain should help with vegetation and early blooming for Xmas week when we hit the 60s and 70s again.

Even in the disasters that were 01-02 and 11-12 we got a 10 day stretch of winter that dropped 2-4 inches of snow.   97-98 also saw a late  March slop storm.   Very tough to go snowless in NYC

Even in the disasters that were 01-02 and 11-12 we got a 10 day stretch of winter that dropped 2-4 inches of snow. 97-98 also saw a late March slop storm. Very tough to go snowless in NYC

And I don't think it will although thoughts might change in a few weeks. This persistent, extreme pattern has been locked in for months.

At least the west can cash in after several years of ugliness while we plant tomatoes on New Years.

And I don't think it will although thoughts might change in a few weeks. This persistent, extreme pattern has been locked in for months.

At least the west can cash in after several years of ugliness while we plant tomatoes on New Years.

I head to Breckenridge for a week every January-expecting epic conditions out there this year

I would be much more worried if this was a neutral ENSO or La Niña about this pattern persisting but in an El Niño this strong and not being very east based there is virtually zero chance that the Aleutian low won't retrograde and we won't eventually see the western ridge/eastern trof pattern develops even if it isn't til January 28th or something

To put the current December into perspective, the following includes data through 2/14 11 am:

Monthly Mean Temperature: 51.0°

Monthly anomaly: +10.9°

Highs of 50° or Above: 13 days (Record: 19, 1891)

Highs of 60° or Above: 4 days (Record: 8, 1998)

Lows: 40° or Above: 13 days (Record: 14, 1982)

Lows: 50° or Above: 5 days (Record: 5, 1982, 1998)

The intraseasonal MJO forcing has played havoc with long term modelling. The coherent/amplified MJO pulses in November aided in inducing the more Nina-like state of Aleutian high, while this month, we're seeing a combination of interseasonal El Nino forcing (with clear imprints on the tropospheric pattern) as well as the 4-5-6 MJO pulse. This month overall has been very characteristic of a strong El Nino, however. November was more Nina-like in terms of the tropical drivers which has promoted the 2 month blowtorch. Nothing really too surprising so far this winter. The -PNA/western trough is common in the early part of a potent Nino. Recall December 1982 finished with widespread > +6's across the Northeast, and Dec 65/57 were very warm, among others.

Sigh. Ugh. There is no MJO dude, that's not an MJO wave. It's an El Niño induced standing wave in OLR. The El Niño standing wave is completely dominating everything and will continue to do so. RMM is just showing the OLR projection as an MJO

That's debatable, and I tend to disagree. There's noticeable strong convection and upper divergence propagating through the E IO/W PAC right now. It might be a kelvin wave. But the MJO itself is really an aggregate of larger kelvin waves, arguably. It's definitely not El Nino induced forcing, as the mean interseasonal forcing cell connected to ENSO is much further east. I'd argue that it is a real MJO wave.

You have to love all that east vs central based Nino talk all these months when that may not make a difference in the end.

Also 12z gfs continues with Xmas week inferno and it should rival or exceed the past week's warmth. NYC will likely see a +30 or better daily departure that week.

goofus more than 10 days out is so reliable but I do think NYC south will have an awful winter any change will be for the interior, The sooner this horrible month is over the better!

warmest days compared to normal...using noaa's est. max these are the greatest departures from the daily normal for each month...

Jan...+34...1/6/2007...1/26/1950...

Feb...+33...2/15/1949...

Mar...+36...3/13/1990...

Apr...+35...4/7/2010...4/18/1976...4/17/2002...

May...+27...5/19/1962...

June..+23...6/4-5/1925...

July...+22...7/9/1936...

Aug...+22...8/26/1948...

Sept..+25...9/23/1895

Oct...+27...10/5/1941...10/17/1938...10/22/1979...

Nov...+27...11/15/1993...

Dec...+30...12/7/1998...12/29/1984...12/22/2013...

Archived