12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yuck ... never could get cranberry sauce and turkey into a sammich without hesitation, but that's me.  in fact, i pretty much detest mixing fruit with meat in the same anything.  some people do pineapple on pizza? egh...  gag

12z operational gfs: it's interesting how it looks like a much better fit for cdc's 00z pna/epo bar graphs.  they don't run the derivative off the 12z spread - that i'm aware... but the 00z operational didn't look very well fitted to its own ensemble mean.  this 12z does.

could mean one of two things

... the euro op. might be the last to bite into a signal that takes deeper heights out of the southwest at any time range longer than 5 days, and in total, maybe the 00z american fields and this 12z oper version are in all an emerging script flip on the pattern.  

... or, nothing.  the models are meandering per climo to do so during autumn, and it could all just be bullcrap.   

2002-2003 was the first time I ever saw the lights. Some overnight camping trip with my "dorm" from ITH. To this day I still don't know where we ended up, just that it was north of SYR.

I was hoping this cycle would have similar "downward slide" activity like last one.  Everyone remembers the 2003 fun, but the actual peak was March 2000.  The actual peak looks to have had a lot of moderate events but nothing extreme.

Sucks we didn't have the data we have now for the 1989 solar max.  

Relax man is was a comparison not a prediction and worry like you lol, Your snowstorm went poof on the Euro, will it come back tonight?  I think so, how about you? What do you say? or are you going to hem haw until the day of?

lol I'm just joking with you....I never predicted an 82-83 either.  The records were what they were.

Just noticed when a similar comparison to a poor winter comes up its voodoo and worrying, but when its a comparison to a good winter its fine to comment and speculate on it.  That's all.  No biggie. 

lol I'm just joking with you....I never predicted an 82-83 either.  The records were what they were.

Just noticed when a similar comparison to a poor winter comes up its voodoo and worrying, but when its a comparison to a good winter its fine to comment and speculate on it.  That's all.  No biggie. 

we kid but 82 ain't walking in your door

Big upgrade coming in March. I believe the op goes to 9 km and the EPS to 18 km. That means the EPS will almost be as high resolution as the op GFS.

They really are the playground bully.

Wow. Will be interesting to see how well it performs. Maybe too much of a good thing with the resolution? Pretty soon DIT's house will have its own gridpoint.

Wow. Will be interesting to see how well it performs. Maybe too much of a good thing with the resolution? Pretty soon DIT's house will have its own gridpoint.

Yeah that is a bit concerning on resolution...I'm hoping it doesn't screw up the performance for larger scale cyclogenesis.

Yeah that is a bit concerning on resolution...I'm hoping it doesn't screw up the performance for larger scale cyclogenesis.

Nothing they do is without careful consideration on the 3-6 day window. After all it is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting.

That is their bread and butter, and they know it. I think they are going to have it running in parallel this winter (hopefully we have access to it).

The GFS also will undergo an upgrade soon too. We finally got approval to spend some of that Sandy money, and I believe they are attempting to go to a pseudo 4DVAR. Baby steps.

Nothing they do is without careful consideration on the 3-6 day window. After all it is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting.

That is their bread and butter, and they know it. I think they are going to have it running in parallel this winter (hopefully we have access to it).

The GFS also will undergo an upgrade soon too. We finally got approval to spend some of that Sandy money, and I believe they are attempting to go to a pseudo 4DVAR. Baby steps.

What was the comment you said the other day? About how the ensembles are run through bias correction?

What was the comment you said the other day? About how the ensembles are run through bias correction?

So we have a pretty good climate database to know how far from history a model forecast is. But we have little idea of how far a model forecast deviates from the history of model forecasts.

So modelers are now running what they call model climates (30 year histories of a model/ensemble). So now if the GEFS have a cold bias, and end up forecasting a cold run, is this significantly colder than what it normally forecasts or not.

The GEFS have done this twice, ever, in the entire history of the ensemble.

The ECMWF does this every two weeks.

Basically the ECMWF has a near real-time bias check for its model.

So we have a pretty good climate database to know how far from history a model forecast is. But we have little idea of how far a model forecast deviates from the history of model forecasts.

So modelers are now running what they call model climates (30 year histories of a model/ensemble). So now if the GEFS have a cold bias, and end up forecasting a cold run, is this significantly colder than what it normally forecasts or not.

The GEFS have done this twice, ever, in the entire history of the ensemble.

The ECMWF does this every two weeks.

Basically the ECMWF has a near real-time bias check for its model.

That is impressive. Wow. We definitely have some work to do.

It's all about computing resources. We hope to get those new supercomputers which would help. But also do we really need 06/18z runs of the GFS and GEFS if we could focus on making really good 00/12z runs (a la the ECMWF)?

It's hard to make a good case for arguing in favor of the off-hour runs IMHO. Off-hour runs are most valuable/useful very close to an event and we already have shorter term models that do this like the RGEM/NAM.

We aren't going to change an 84 hour forecast very much if there was a huge shift on the 18z GFS...we all wait until the 00z Euro anyway to make a big change even if we didn't care too much about continuity at that time range.

It's hard to make a good case for arguing in favor of the off-hour runs IMHO. Off-hour runs are most valuable/useful very close to an event and we already have shorter term models that do this like the RGEM/NAM.

We aren't going to change an 84 hour forecast very much if there was a huge shift on the 18z GFS...we all wait until the 00z Euro anyway to make a big change even if we didn't care too much about continuity at that time range.

There are definitely those higher than my pay grade arguing that those hours of model time are more valuable being put towards other things besides extra GFS runs.

Archived