Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is that not a possibility? Just blinders on.. Cold ,colder, coldest?

2011-2012 was a La Niña in high solar that fall. I'm not sure where you keep getting the impression that everyone is going cold. I think a lot of people expect DJF to average warmer than normal.

But this El Niño should behave a lot different than 2011-2012. If the black hole of death looks ugly late this month or in December, you'll hear plenty about it.

There's already some good signs that the snow cover feedback is helping out (big ridging for a while now near Kara). Finally, an ugly December really wouldn't be that strange in an El Niño.

2011-2012 was a La Niña in high solar that fall. I'm not sure where you keep getting the impression that everyone is going cold. I think a lot of people expect DJF to average warmer than normal.

But this El Niño should behave a lot different than 2011-2012. If the black hole of death looks ugly late this month or in December, you'll hear plenty about it.

There's already some good signs that the snow cover feedback is helping out (big ridging for a while now near Kara). Finally, an ugly December really wouldn't be that strange in an El Niño.

I haven't seen anyone with a cold winter except JB and D'aleo. I get that was a Nina. This is the strongest Nino in history. Ever. I'm not comparing the two. What I'm saying is that winter models kept getting rid of that black hole and promising cold. It never happened. So a legitimate concern is something like that may happen in such a massive hard Nino. It doesn't have to happen and could very well not. But I don't know I'm getting flak for at least mentioning it as a possibility

I haven't seen anyone with a cold winter except JB and D'aleo. I get that was a Nina. This is the strongest Nino in history. Ever. I'm not comparing the two. What I'm saying is that winter models kept getting rid of that black hole and promising cold. It never happened. So a legitimate concern is something like that may happen in such a massive hard Nino. It doesn't have to happen and could very well not. But I don't know I'm getting flak for at least mentioning it as a possibility

That winter never even had much in the way of cold into the conus like some models have out in the west and plains. These cold dumps as stated many times, will focus west first. That means you could see a strong low rip into the lakes. However I think you may see some successive shifts east with some cold as shown in the ensembles. It's not a deep cold and wintry pattern here, but it's certainly a different look from previous weeks.

I suggest you read the AER discussion to get another perspective

You get flak when you post a d10 OP model solution to support some idea in which your visual evidence has almost no skill at predicting.

You don't have to post 2011-2012 Dejavu every time a model run doesn't show cold in the extended.

The ensembles have been fairly consistent on showing a colder (not frigid) pattern for late November....there may be a cutter if the SW trough digs but that still won't change the overall cooler pattern look. It might give us a warm day or two in between but that is how it works in the extended. You can't guarantee cutters don't happen.

Take a deep breath and maybe come back after T-day if you don't like model uncertainty.

It's just if you question things with warm alternatives here , it generally gets jumped on and harassed. I want cold and snow more than most folks. But let's not deny a good pattern and winter is not overly likely this winter. It's ok to post possible alternative unwanted scenarios

Yeah but as we've seen every year on these boards, cancelling winter in November is generally unwise.

Yeah but as we've seen every year on these boards, cancelling winter in November is generally unwise.

I haven't seen anyone cancel winter except Fork. Have seen people discuss ratter and finishing below normal in snowfall though. And those forecasts have generally been attacked on here. We'll see how it plays out

It's just if you question things with warm alternatives here , it generally gets jumped on and harassed. I want cold and snow more than most folks. But let's not deny a good pattern and winter is not overly likely this winter. It's ok to post possible alternative unwanted scenarios

We attack you all the time when you make unreasonably optimistic snow forecasts in winter before events. Sounds like selective memory to me.

There's no doubt that there is a cold bias on the board in winter but that doesn't mean crappy forecasts for lots of snow don't go uncriticized.

I haven't seen anyone cancel winter except Fork. Have seen people discuss ratter and finishing below normal in snowfall though. And those forecasts have generally been attacked on here. We'll see how it plays out

It's hard to follow you sometimes.

Archived