Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the rumors of the death of the transient good pattern may have been exaggerated...lol. GEFS following suit.

Yeah it tries to shut the pattern down, but almost a little reload at the end of the ensemble run.

But obviously out in clown range, so we'll have to see how it looks going forward.

Yeah Jerry - I remember the 1977-1978 press about the storminess in Cali - tho only vaguely as I was too little to really understand it much.

I vividly also recall the "Cleveland Super bomb" blizzard of Jan 25-28 that year, that took out whole families due to 30" of snow and routine 95 mph wind gusts...

If you put that sucker on the eastern tip of LI it would dwarf Feb 5-7 of that year but who's contesting ...  Anyway, crazy year of fantastic winter meteorology... Also, the Pineapple Express event of ...I think it was 1980 is likely related to the El Nino, albeit in attenuation by that time. 

Interesting 12z GFS with the deep range in deep continental cold and at least one significant snow storm to end TG week. 

Well the rumors of the death of the transient good pattern may have been exaggerated...lol. GEFS following suit.

Lower heights  do build, but a bit closer to dateline in the Bering Sea which helps the PNA a bit. Transient doesn't have to mean only 5-7 days or so...it's more of a way of communicating that it may not last long or be stable. However, I think tropical forcing based on EC VP 200mb is shifting eastward slowly. That may also have a say. 

I don't think people are being myopic...I think it's respect for the Nino. We all know other factors can get in the way of analogs...but I think you at least have to respect this event.

there are multiple posters and professional forecasts that are straight 97-98- you have to be living under a rock if you haven't seen the DIT like forecasts straight super nino climo

there are multiple posters and professional forecasts that are straight 97-98- you have to be living under a rock if you haven't seen the DIT like forecasts straight super nino climo

I have seen a lot say it is not 97-98 too. I think those going warm are respecting the strong, basin wide event and what it can do to the atmosphere, based on what we know. It's really early in the game. 

Archived