Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Well if the model is so warm, what is generating the departures? If it's the start of the month...I would be a little skeptical.  Then again, it all goes back to this being the CFS and really a non factor in influencing my opinion.

if you don't like the weather the CFS is giving you, wait a minute

About the time we see 1st snowfall up here most seasons

Another question of do people know their climo. PWM and CON average first accumulation is 11/19, BOS 11/28, PVD 12/1.

They've all had to wait until the second week of January for their latest first snowfall.

So anything before turkey day truly is gravy.

12-15?

I assume you mean D12-15?

Yeah it was at the end in that range. We'll certainly have to watch it. It's possible it doesn't reconsolidate that quickly...D12-15 is always a little volatile on guidance.

Even if it does reconsolidate, it would be nice to keep some ridiging into AK, and we'd still be able to get some cold that way. Hell, we went last winter with a pretty stout vortex up in the arctic, but we had ridging where it mattered.

I assume you mean D12-15?

Yeah it was at the end in that range. We'll certainly have to watch it. It's possible it doesn't reconsolidate that quickly...D12-15 is always a little volatile on guidance.

Even if it does reconsolidate, it would be nice to keep some ridiging into AK, and we'd still be able to get some cold that way. Hell, we went last winter with a pretty stout vortex up in the arctic, but we had ridging where it mattered.

Yea you assumed right

Scooter's friend Sipprell uses this word in every one of his AFD's.

ALL IN ALL ... APPEARING TO BE AN ACTIVE FORECAST PERIOD AND WINDY

AT TIMES. STRONGEST OF WINDS CENTERING AROUND THE FORECAST FRONTAL

BOUNDARY WITH THE ISALLOBARIC-GRADIENT RESPONSE PARENT TO A FORECAST

AMPLIFIED PATTERN.

Meh, maybe next Friday, otherwise nothing really jumps out around our region.

Maybe there will be another 36 hour lead time advisory that doesn't verify.

Why does he try to get so fancy in every AFD? Nothing looks windy next week

The AFDs are meant to be somewhat technical, but with all due respect to him.....I feel like like he pretty much disrobes as he writes these AFDs, possibly even making out with himself. Sometimes these boards are filled with lots of technical jargon with the premise of having weenies bow down in awe. The person that really does know his stuff has the ability to explain it in plain language.

We may even avoid a 60 next week. Still hard to believe. Went from a week + of modeled 60's and 70's to 40's and 50's and then a winter blast next weekend and beyond with squalls and snow chances

Looks like you've sweated out the last drop of torch out of you. It's cold and snow goggle season until Morch.

Did he use the term in the wrong way or does it not fit with the idea it is meant for public consumption.

Probably wrong application.

Yes winds will be gusty if associated with coupled pressure falls/rises in an amplified pattern, however running through the modeled forecast and the best fall/rise couplets track north or west of here (outside of that Friday window I mentioned).

So in other words, not exactly a windy stretch by any means. I think that implies something more than your average fropa.

Archived