Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rarified air for ORH

Eric Fisher ‏@ericfisher  7m

Eric Fisher Retweeted NWS Boston

It's not often that Worcester, MA goes an entire November without even a trace of snow. Not a single flurry.

Eric Fisher added,

CVJmyrlVEAARlPl.png
NWS Boston @NWSBoston
No snow for the month of November? How often does that happen? TL;DR, it's not unprecedented:
2 retweets3 likes

i think in CON that number is 5

Rarified air for ORH

It's not often that Worcester, MA goes an entire November without even a trace of snow. Not a single flurry.

Eric Fisher added,

CVJmyrlVEAARlPl.png
NWS Boston @NWSBoston
No snow for the month of November? How often does that happen? TL;DR, it's not unprecedented:
2 retweets3 likes

Meh, I guess it's rarefied for absolutely no snow, but honestly there are many more Novembers that only had a trace of snow. And really what the difference between this month and some November in 1950 that had a graupel shower for a big, fat T?

i think in CON that number is 5

CON had -SHSN on the 14th, but the ASOS didn't "see" it. I know they did because I drove right through one on the highway in CON while the airport was reporting 38F and -RA. There were flurries in Manchester too.

The whole trace thing means nothing to me with the non-augmented stations now.

CON had -SHSN on the 14th, but the ASOS didn't "see" it. I know they did because I drove right through one on the highway in CON while the airport was reporting 38F and -RA. There were flurries in Manchester too.

The whole trace thing means nothing to me with the non-augmented stations now.

Yep. Even a few sleet pellets mixed in with rain would go in as a trace on an augmented station. No way the ASOS would ever pick that up. Same with a stray couple of flakes.

So comparing traces to pre-ASOS data is not completely apples to apples.

Still some numbers missing for Nov, but it looks like it will be about +2.4, and 4th/5th mildest of 18 here, about 1.7F cooler than Nov 2006, mildest on record around here. Precip of 2.03" is 2nd least of 18 (though no challenge to the 0.84" in 2012) and 47% of avg. YTD is 86% of my avg, BN but not significantly so. Fifth Nov with under 1" snowfall, and 2015's 0.6" is 4th lowest of 18 - 2006 had only a trace.

Rarified air for ORH

Eric Fisher added,

CVJmyrlVEAARlPl.png
NWS Boston @NWSBoston
2 retweets3 likes

I had flurries in PA this October so rare on the other end of the spectrum

We haven't recorded any snowflakes in the NYC suburbs either this winter, and I'm not sure our house in the Poconos has had anything.

Last year, we had 2.5" of snow the day before Thanksgiving. In 2013, we had 2-3 hours of snow showers in southern Brooklyn around Nov 12-13. 2012 had an 8-10" snowfall in Westchester on 11/7, and 2011 had a 10" snowfall on 10/29. So we're significantly behind schedule this season.

Archived