northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the 2002 event that others have now mentioned. Nov 16, 2002. Southern ORH county got the worst of it, though even ORH itself had over a quarter inch of accretion...but a lot of sleet kept it from being worse. Southern ORH county I believe had a half inch of ice in spots...mostly above 700 feet.

I remember that event.

My 22nd bday.

Bar hopping in Boston....spent the night in a hotel at Logan airport, passed out again when I got home, and then woke to like an inch ?of snow that had transitioned to light rain...

It was the 2002 event that others have now mentioned. Nov 16, 2002. Southern ORH county got the worst of it, though even ORH itself had over a quarter inch of accretion...but a lot of sleet kept it from being worse. Southern ORH county I believe had a half inch of ice in spots...mostly above 700 feet.

The 02 ice storm was very bad just west of BDL through Litchfield Co. One of the worst I can remember in the state.

The 02 ice storm was very bad just west of BDL through Litchfield Co. One of the worst I can remember in the state.

Yeah I remember. Parts of litchfield county over 800-1000 feet were crippled. Prob their worst ice storm in the past 20 years...at least until you got high enough elevation in 2008 to where it was worse...but I recall the bad ice in '08 in litchfield county to be quite high up.

The trees were absolutely caked once you got up to about Princeton in last year storm. We had too much sleet contamination in ORH to get really really thick snow accumulation on the trees. Still ended up with over 6" though. But it was 10"+ up north a bit with no sleet.

That storm was supposed to be 3-6" up here and ended up being 11".  Chalk that one up to the sneaky 600mb banding.  I remember discussing that one as the H7 plots showed it solidly south of us, but lo and behold that yellow band of 30-35dbz blossomed from like GFL to BTV and then crawled eastward.

That storm was supposed to be 3-6" up here and ended up being 11".  Chalk that one up to the sneaky 600mb banding.  I remember discussing that one as the H7 plots showed it solidly south of us, but lo and behold that yellow band of 30-35dbz blossomed from like GFL to BTV and then crawled eastward.

That was the storm we were insisting you'd do better than advisory snow...I know sometimes it gets hyperbolized, lol, but that one was pretty classic with the ML fronto being good up there.

That was the storm we were insisting you'd do better than advisory snow...I know sometimes it gets hyperbolized, lol, but that one was pretty classic with the ML fronto being good up there.

Yep, you guys were on that one.  Then again, looking at the storm total map, it goes from like 8-12" to 3-6" over like 10 miles so I got very lucky.  One county north and I missed it.

I just couldn't see it in the normal charts (H7/H85/etc) and I remember that discussion.  That's when the 600mb level became much more apparent to me.  I still remember Ray going off the rails a little at me for even thinking that the banding wouldn't hit up here.  Kind of like the Dendrite effect when someone to the north is unsure and not all in, then ends up getting slammed usually while someone to the south changes to rain...that's when the real good posts come out, lol.

You and coastalwx though were on that one...though it also is tough for me to fully latch on to sometimes as it seems every semi-close storm people are just assuming the banding will hit up here without any real analysis of it (not you).  Hyperbolized is a good way to put it. 

But that was a good case event for banding higher than 700mb...as the real good 700mb stuff was further SE towards Dendrite.

November_2014_zpsoakjqbdq.jpg

Yeah I remember. Parts of litchfield county over 800-1000 feet were crippled. Prob their worst ice storm in the past 20 years...at least until you got high enough elevation in 2008 to where it was worse...but I recall the bad ice in '08 in litchfield county to be quite high up.

Even lower elevations in the Farmington Valley (Canton, Simsbury, Avon, New Hartford) around 500 ft were in really rough shape after that one. 

The 2008 storm was higher - pretty much started above 1000 ft in the Northwest Hills. There aren't many people up that high in Connecticut. 

Yep, you guys were on that one.  Then again, looking at the storm total map, it goes from like 8-12" to 3-6" over like 10 miles so I got very lucky.  One county north and I missed it.

I just couldn't see it in the normal charts (H7/H85/etc) and I remember that discussion.  That's when the 600mb level became much more apparent to me.  I still remember Ray going off the rails a little at me for even thinking that the banding wouldn't hit up here.  Kind of like the Dendrite effect when someone to the north is unsure and not all in, then ends up getting slammed usually while someone to the south changes to rain...that's when the real good posts come out, lol.

You and coastalwx though were on that one...though it also is tough for me to fully latch on to sometimes as it seems every semi-close storm people are just assuming the banding will hit up here without any real analysis of it (not you).  Hyperbolized is a good way to put it. 

But that was a good case event for banding higher than 700mb...as the real good 700mb stuff was further SE towards Dendrite.

November_2014_zpsoakjqbdq.jpg

Mid level fronto = low level nudity. :lol:

We didn't get the warning amounts some got, but nice to flip to snow on T-Day night as you're  throwing back a few cocktails. 

That T-day night snow was a seperate event I recall...a dusting to an inch in a lot of spots...a few isolated 2" amounts.

back to present ... 

boy did the overnight runs back off the coolish appeal for that latter next week deal.  

I suppose it's sensible compared to the NAO in general - that singular mass field favors Lakes cutters.  The impetus yesterday, however, was that the system was toted along by a quasi-REX, which in a more local scope is a mass-balanced system; the NAO teleconnection would only correlate with the regions outside that closed system.  

BUT, the sexy REXyness of it has changed... now the models appear to be phasing southern Canadian S/W-ridging with the higher than normal heights along the EC more, and that does direct more of a left turn earlier.  That REX thing was the key... lose it, and the region from the OV/MA/NE is wider opened to the balancing off a +NAO/-PNA couplet...  

The cooler suppressed idea could return.. but it would require the handling of the flow over southern Canada reverts back to more ridge block, that could re-introduce cooler wedging.   But it was long shot anyways...

Yep, 2002. Earliest ice event I took a look at in my climatology.

Even lower elevations in the Farmington Valley (Canton, Simsbury, Avon, New Hartford) around 500 ft were in really rough shape after that one. 

The 2008 storm was higher - pretty much started above 1000 ft in the Northwest Hills. There aren't many people up that high in Connecticut. 

Agree; portions of western HFD County had major to severe damage as low as 400 ft.  My street in eastern Burlington is in the 400-450 ft range and had tremendous oak tree damage; one of only 2 storms (other one was Oct 2011 snow bomb) in my life that forced us  to sleep on the bottom floor given the frequent shotgun blast sounds of oaks breaking and falling on the street!  Major to severe tree and power pole damage extended southward across western Bristol on into parts of far northern New Haven county; especially northern Wolcott; Route 69 in Wolcott had multiple power line poles snapped.  Classic low dew point drain developed during the late afternoon/early evening and intensified during the evening hours. 

Agree; portions of western HFD County had major to severe damage as low as 400 ft. My street in eastern Burlington is in the 400-450 ft range and had tremendous oak tree damage; one of only 2 storms (other one was Oct 2011 snow bomb) in my life that forced us to sleep on the bottom floor given the frequent shotgun blast sounds of oaks breaking and falling on the street! Major to severe tree and power pole damage extended southward across western Bristol on into parts of far northern New Haven county; especially northern Wolcott; Route 69 in Wolcott had multiple power line poles snapped. Classic low dew point drain developed during the late afternoon/early evening and intensified during the evening hours.

I can't recall. Were the trees mostly bare by that point?

Snowy days 7 through 10 on that GGEM run for CNE/NNE.

Nice blizzard for Denver on the Euro at day 6.

That's from another great system moving through California and the Rockies...good early season snow builder pattern underway out there that started with this week's storm.

Nice blizzard for Denver on the Euro at day 6.

That's from another great system moving through California and the Rockies...good early season snow builder pattern underway out there that started with this week's storm.

Yeah great pattern for them.

I saw spots like Durango got 10-18" depending on elevation, Telluride reported 15" from this last system.  Snow is falling all over the west and its been a while since they've had a good November.

Archived