• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

Well as we surmised several days back..that wave moving east may finally be giving us a different look after mid month. Some deeper troughing east of Rockies and signs of ridging south of AK. Still an AK trough, but it's showing signs of lifting out. Knowing how models rush things my guess is probably nothing terribly interesting until after the 20th or so. If at all.

A lot of things seem to point to a colder look from post Thanksgiving through the first week of December. Could be the first chance for widespread snowfall in New England. That period could be an island of cold in between a torched early November and a milder second half of December.

Next two weeks sure look boring outside of a windy cold front Friday night stirring the leaves up. Gets chilly for a couple of days before another SE ridge next week. Not quite as warm as now but that's mostly climo marching on. Basically a cold west/warm east pattern, aside from the Day 10 icy rain/mixed event depicted on Euro as that second warm spell departs.

Could easily be a Top 5/Top 10 warmest November

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We/ lol kevspeak

Well the difference is that there were multiple mets (I was one of them) talking about a potential cooler period after mid-month...so "we" is an ok pronoun to use. When Kevin does it, he's often referring to nobody else but but himself and just says "we" anyway.

Nippy Novie being anything but nippy... records going to fall the next two days?

Today up here we stayed clear of records (MMNV1 record high of 58F, actual 54F), but the next two days look like a better shot with a little more vulnerable records.

Here are our local records from BTV...someone should post up the GYX and BOX CWA records.

.CLIMATE...
BELOW ARE THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR THURSDAY NOVEMBER 5TH
AND FRIDAY NOVEMBER 6TH...

BURLINGTON (BTV)-      72 (1938), 75 (1948)
MONTPELIER (MPV)-      70 (1994), 72 (1978)
MASSENA (MSS)-         68 (1959), 78 (1948)
ST. JOHNSBURY (SJBV1)- 70 (1982), 72 (1948)
MT. MANSFIELD (MMNV1)- 55 (1982), 55 (1978)

&&

I also noticed MMNV1 averages around an inch of snow per day right now, so gotta start those snowfall departures early, :lol:

Well as we surmised several days back..that wave moving east may finally be giving us a different look after mid month. Some deeper troughing east of Rockies and signs of ridging south of AK. Still an AK trough, but it's showing signs of lifting out. Knowing how models rush things my guess is probably nothing terribly interesting until after the 20th or so. If at all.

And a winter storm threat around the 13th for the region

We/ lol kevspeak

Well I purposely said we, because Will, myself and others mentioned it....but it sometimes gets lost in translation. I'm not arrogant, so I will never say "we" as in any way to pound my chest and said "I told you so.."   And besides...that AK low still needs to move first.

Well I purposely said we, because Will, myself and others mentioned it....but it sometimes gets lost in translation. I'm not arrogant, so I will never say "we" as in any way to pound my chest and said "I told you so.."   And besides...that AK low still needs to move first.

I never looked at the use of "we" as arrogant, I just figured it was his way to express the multiple weather personalities that live in his head.

Nippy Novie being anything but nippy... records going to fall the next two days?

Today up here we stayed clear of records (MMNV1 record high of 58F, actual 54F), but the next two days look like a better shot with a little more vulnerable records.

Here are our local records from BTV...someone should post up the GYX and BOX CWA records.

.CLIMATE...
BELOW ARE THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR THURSDAY NOVEMBER 5TH
AND FRIDAY NOVEMBER 6TH...

BURLINGTON (BTV)-      72 (1938), 75 (1948)
MONTPELIER (MPV)-      70 (1994), 72 (1978)
MASSENA (MSS)-         68 (1959), 78 (1948)
ST. JOHNSBURY (SJBV1)- 70 (1982), 72 (1948)
MT. MANSFIELD (MMNV1)- 55 (1982), 55 (1978)

&&

I also noticed MMNV1 averages around an inch of snow per day right now, so gotta start those snowfall departures early, :lol:

CON's are 75F on threadex...not sure if they have a weenie record from before 1903 in there. I think those records are safe.

Nothing to do with arrogance. Quite the contrary. I just use it to express group thought or consensus..never just"me"

Haha "we" know you can't possibly believe that because you seem to use "we" the most when it is the exact opposite of the group thought or consensus. 

It always seems to come out when you know you are the only one thinking that, lol.

Will- Do you remember a Worcester County icing event, maybe Nov 2005ish? I remember being at a friends house in Dudley forward night, light coating at his house, another friend lived closer to the Charlton line and had quite a bit of ice.

I remember one in the late 90s because we were in Woodstock for Thanksgiving and could walk on top of the yard like it was a skating rink.  Only maybe 3" of snow/sleet but the icing on top was fairly significant.  We played hockey in the yard.  Probably in the vicinity of 1996-1999?

I remember one in the late 90s because we were in Woodstock for Thanksgiving and could walk on top of the yard like it was a skating rink.  Only maybe 3" of snow/sleet but the icing on top was fairly significant.  We played hockey in the yard.  Probably in the vicinity of 1996-1999?

Off the top of my head it could've been 97 or 98...two wintry systems up there.

I remember one in the late 90s because we were in Woodstock for Thanksgiving and could walk on top of the yard like it was a skating rink. Only maybe 3" of snow/sleet but the icing on top was fairly significant. We played hockey in the yard. Probably in the vicinity of 1996-1999?

This was in the 2004-2006 time frame, I was in my new house at the time. I was at a lower elevation (500 yds from the Quinebaug River); I might be wrong with Nov but it was either early season or late season

This was in the 2004-2006 time frame, I was in my new house at the time. I was at a lower elevation (500 yds from the Quinebaug River); I might be wrong with Nov but it was either early season or late season

Probably this one. there was some light icing in NE CT up into ORH hills where there was a bit more..but the worst was NW CT.. I was at my first house in town at 650 feet and we had some minor icing on trees. Higher up in town there was more..like where I am now

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/hc-icestorm-112002-story.html

Probably this one. there was some light icing in NE CT up into ORH hills where there was a bit more..but the worst was NW CT.. I was at my first house in town at 650 feet and we had some minor icing on trees. Higher up in town there was more..like where I am now

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/hc-icestorm-112002-story.html

I remember that. I drove to PA just after that storm. Some decent tree damage on the pike and 84 iirc.

Will- Do you remember a Worcester County icing event, maybe Nov 2005ish? I remember being at a friends house in Dudley forward night, light coating at his house, another friend lived closer to the Charlton line and had quite a bit of ice.

It was the 2002 event that others have now mentioned. Nov 16, 2002. Southern ORH county got the worst of it, though even ORH itself had over a quarter inch of accretion...but a lot of sleet kept it from being worse. Southern ORH county I believe had a half inch of ice in spots...mostly above 700 feet.

It was the 2002 event that others have now mentioned. Nov 16, 2002. Southern ORH county got the worst of it, though even ORH itself had over a quarter inch of accretion...but a lot of sleet kept it from being worse. Southern ORH county I believe had a half inch of ice in spots...mostly above 700 feet.

2002 had two wintry events in November, the ice storm and then the Thanksgiving more widespread snowfall.

The trees were absolutely caked once you got up to about Princeton in last year storm. We had too much sleet contamination in ORH to get really really thick snow accumulation on the trees. Still ended up with over 6" though. But it was 10"+ up north a bit with no sleet.

Archived