Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

I had 15 inches of snow in 97, 9 in 82, and 11 in 87, I average 13 

Really? Alright that means we'll get lucky a couple times hopefully. Very small sample size of course and I didn't take into account PDO phase/Nino type. Did you get some from that 12/23 gravity wave ORH storm that Will talks about?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness..it's uncanny how we got thru these massive long stretches of dry..like 3-6 weeks and then 1 rain event and then right back to dry. Can't recall a pattern like that in recent memory

Up here it's seemed pretty normal...17 days this month with measurable precipitation, totaling 3.80". Longest dry stretch was 7 days between the 0.43" on the 1st and 0.65" on the 8th.

3-6 weeks between rain events seems excessive. Bring some stats next time instead of just throwing out guesses. 3 weeks sounds about right for the longest between rain events, not 6 weeks. It's not uncommon to go 2-3 weeks between big QPF events, same in winter. You don't get 1 foot snowstorms every week.

Up here it's seemed pretty normal...17 days this month with measurable precipitation, totaling 3.80". Longest dry stretch was 7 days between the 0.43" on the 1st and 0.65" on the 8th.

3-6 weeks between rain events seems excessive. Bring some stats next time instead of just throwing out guesses. 3 weeks sounds about right for the longest between rain events, not 6 weeks. It's not uncommon to go 2-3 weeks between big QPF events, same in winter. You don't get 1 foot snowstorms every week.

There's been several couple week dry stretches with little or no measurable in SNE going back to May

3-4 months more of wx boredom. What a terrible wx year. Good Lord

Yeah, February and March were terrible.  June a little bit.  All three ranking in the top 10 for coldest in the last 31 years or more.  August was another top 10 but on the warm side.  Yeah, it's been a terrible year.  Hopefully next February and March are as terrible.

It is quite funny how a routine Stowe winter is such epicosity here lol.

How it falls matters too...we both had a similar total but took completely different ways of getting there haha. Mine was October-April, with slow and steady 1-8" snows. Yours was like a 30-day blitz of Winter Storm Warning after Winter Storm Warning.

Such a snoozer way to get to that total compared with how you did it lol. Literally 128" of meh.

How it falls matters too...we both had a similar total but took completely different ways of getting there haha. Mine was October-April, with slow and steady 1-8" snows. Yours was like a 30-day blitz of Winter Storm Warning after Winter Storm Warning.

Such a snoozer way to get to that total compared with how you did it lol. Literally 128" of meh.

Oh yeah of course. Just thinking in a general sense though. I still couldn't get over Feb 2012. Your posts about 12" of powder was definitely Uzi swallowing. :lol: But that's how it goes in the Greens. It's always going to snow.

I've often talked about how the average snowfall in Ithaca, NY and ORH were the same...when I arrived in Ithaca, I expected a similar type winter...I was ignorant of the way they got their snow and the nuances of terrain, etc, etc.

By the 3rd winter there, I was ripping my eyes out for a synoptic snowfall over 8 inches. We couldn't get them. We'd get countless 1-3/2-5" events...often on multi-band NW flow LES and clippers or on the fringe of a nor easter. Then, we'd warm up on SW winds...torch into the 40s and 50s before a FROPA would make it -5F 24-36 hours later...and do it all over again. We couldn't generate a deep snowpack over 15" really.

It wasn't until then having experienced it...and of course studied it more as a result....that I really appreciated how good we have it in interior SNE. ORH just destroys ITH when it comes to double digit snowfalls...it isn't even close. But ITH is probably right up there with a place like Stowe for the number of days with measurable, they just don't get every much, lol...and they don't have the luxury of getting a 2 foot upslope or LES event like Stowe...we were out of the max zone for LES.

If this Nino tanks and goes into Nina territory which some models insist will happen, all years in which that happened featured very active seasons from the Plains into the Northeast

Severe season really can't get much worse than what we've been seeing.  :axe:

This Nino has a long way to come down to get to Nina status, so I doubt if it makes it to official Nina status prior to next summer, but the rapid fade may be more important than the actual state come Spring/Summer.  Can't take anything to the bank though.

Severe season really can't get much worse than what we've been seeing. :axe:

This Nino has a long way to come down to get to Nina status, so I doubt if it makes it to official Nina status prior to next summer, but the rapid fade may be more important than the actual state come Spring/Summer. Can't take anything to the bank though.

A lot of times the atmosphere will take on the state, regardless of the value. For instance once it starts to tank, we will see a Nina response as the atmosphere adjusts, regardless if 3.4 is in Nino territory. The trend > actual sst value.

Severe season really can't get much worse than what we've been seeing.  :axe:

This Nino has a long way to come down to get to Nina status, so I doubt if it makes it to official Nina status prior to next summer, but the rapid fade may be more important than the actual state come Spring/Summer.  Can't take anything to the bank though.

This is what will be a huge key moving into the severe weather season.  The one thing we don't want to have happen though is influences working to weaken the STJ...if we see a very active STJ through the winter and lasting into the spring that can be huge for severe weather season.  What I would see with a rapid decline is much more of a likelihood of trough/ridge/trough type pattern.  

A lot of times the atmosphere will take on the state, regardless of the value. For instance once it starts to tank, we will see a Nina response as the atmosphere adjusts, regardless if 3.4 is in Nino territory. The trend > actual sst value.

Yeah that's basically what I was getting at.  Just worded it a bit differently.

I've often talked about how the average snowfall in Ithaca, NY and ORH were the same...when I arrived in Ithaca, I expected a similar type winter...I was ignorant of the way they got their snow and the nuances of terrain, etc, etc.

By the 3rd winter there, I was ripping my eyes out for a synoptic snowfall over 8 inches. We couldn't get them. We'd get countless 1-3/2-5" events...often on multi-band NW flow LES and clippers or on the fringe of a nor easter. Then, we'd warm up on SW winds...torch into the 40s and 50s before a FROPA would make it -5F 24-36 hours later...and do it all over again. We couldn't generate a deep snowpack over 15" really.

It wasn't until then having experienced it...and of course studied it more as a result....that I really appreciated how good we have it in interior SNE. ORH just destroys ITH when it comes to double digit snowfalls...it isn't even close. But ITH is probably right up there with a place like Stowe for the number of days with measurable, they just don't get every much, lol...and they don't have the luxury of getting a 2 foot upslope or LES event like Stowe...we were out of the max zone for LES.

Yeah out there in central and western NY it's gotta be incredibly hard for good synoptic snows. Pretty much WAA overrunning would be your main mode, right? Hard to get over 8" on WAA and I know I've seen them bust quite a bit out there because of mid-level dry slots ripping north through Central NY a lot earlier than forecast. Getting a deform band or CCB has got to be real difficult as you need a Hudson Valley runner probably?

Growing up in Albany the climate is much more like SNE than central NY...almost all the snow is synoptic, and although there has been a dearth of big storms there recently, ALB does ok overall for big synoptic snowstorms. A heck of a lot better than ITH I'm sure.

For all the biatching I do over synoptic snows lately, we do fine climb-wise for big storms, but are like ALB in that there's been a lull in deeper interior storms lately. The past couple cold winters have been so favorable for coastal fun, it's left us nickel and diming our way to average.* Sooner or later that'll switch up.

Regardless, SNE's bread and butter is big snowstorms. You guys definitely have the highest percentage of snowfall from large storms of anyone in the northeast. Even by the time you get up to Dendrite I bet the the average single storm total is decreasing. I'm thinking if you took the total seasonal snowfall and divided by number of days with snowfall that winter, somewhere near ORH would be the max for highest average individual snowfall.

*When having these discussions I'm talking about my front yard. I know some like to group me in with the ski area but from a climo standpoint they are fairly different. Yes the mountains get big 12-18"+ events every year (usually multiple times) but town is a bit different even though it's only a few miles away. And it's easier and better for comparisons around New England because it's useless comparing picnic table climo with others.

Yeah out there in central and western NY it's gotta be incredibly hard for good synoptic snows. Pretty much WAA overrunning would be your main mode, right? Hard to get over 8" on WAA and I know I've seen them bust quite a bit out there because of mid-level dry slots ripping north through Central NY a lot earlier than forecast. Getting a deform band or CCB has got to be real difficult as you need a Hudson Valley runner probably?

Growing up in Albany the climate is much more like SNE than central NY...almost all the snow is synoptic, and although there has been a dearth of big storms there recently, ALB does ok overall for big synoptic snowstorms. A heck of a lot better than ITH I'm sure.

For all the biatching I do over synoptic snows lately, we do fine climb-wise for big storms, but are like ALB in that there's been a lull in deeper interior storms lately. The past couple cold winters have been so favorable for coastal fun, it's left us nickel and diming our way to average.* Sooner or later that'll switch up.

Regardless, SNE's bread and butter is big snowstorms. You guys definitely have the highest percentage of snowfall from large storms of anyone in the northeast. Even by the time you get up to Dendrite I bet the the average single storm total is decreasing. I'm thinking if you took the total seasonal snowfall and divided by number of days with snowfall that winter, somewhere near ORH would be the max for highest average individual snowfall.

*When having these discussions I'm talking about my front yard. I know some like to group me in with the ski area but from a climo standpoint they are fairly different. Yes the mountains get big 12-18"+ events every year (usually multiple times) but town is a bit different even though it's only a few miles away.

on my phone but those stats can be gleaned on Climod

Archived