• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

We had a SE ridge plague that lasted several years from ~ '97 through 2000, and the only thing prevalent during that era was a whopper warm ENSO event.  

keep that in mind - 

Day 8 on the Euro looks like it would be a heck of a thunderstorm day of all things... Nice flat but potent v-max ripping through central New England, while we warm sector in a WSW theta-e/wind. Obviously diabatic heating is a challenge in early Novie; to mention the lengthy lead.  

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a SE ridge plague that lasted several years from ~ '97 through 2000, and the only thing prevalent during that era was a whopper warm ENSO event.

keep that in mind

Well 1997-1998 was warm but it had low heights in the southeast. Definite classic El Niño signal in the south that winter.

1998-1999 and 1999-2000 winters were both moderate to potent La Ninas...so any southeast ridging in those winters would make sense.

Man, that is a beast of a SE ridge for early November on all the ensembles. It's so weird...it looks like a full blown La Nina pattern with an Aleutian ridge and a big SE ridge.

Looks like perhaps some change on the far horizon near mid-month on EC ensembles, but those can sometimes take a while to actually manifest.

Man, that is a beast of a SE ridge for early November on all the ensembles. It's so weird...it looks like a full blown La Nina pattern with an Aleutian ridge and a big SE ridge.

Looks like perhaps some change on the far horizon near mid-month on EC ensembles, but those can sometimes take a while to actually manifest.

Yeah the Pacific is definitely not what I would expect. Kind of an elongated Pacific Jet. Definitely more Nina like.  It's a bit warm in western Canada, but I'd say east of the Canadian Prairies, it's cooler.

Yeah the Pacific is definitely not what I would expect. Kind of an elongated Pacific Jet. Definitely more Nina like.  It's a bit warm in western Canada, but I'd say east of the Canadian Prairies, it's cooler.

It sets up a gradient pattern...like we'd see in winter but further north given the time of the year. But between NE and Quebec there could be some pretty crazy gradients in that.

Well 1997-1998 was warm but it had low heights in the southeast. Definite classic El Niño signal in the south that winter.

1998-1999 and 1999-2000 winters were both moderate to potent La Ninas...so any southeast ridging in those winters would make sense.

No, there was more ridging there; it was classically compressed, is what it was. 

Those re-analysis products don't take geopotential gradient into account.  They're just taking the scalar depth at those heights, but when you have balanced flow screaming in the means, that is a ridge there that is being pressed S.  

That feature f with synoptic storm/forecasts quite a bit.  That's when/where I stole the turn of phrase, '...At least excuse imaginable' which was formulated in NCEP discussions, and it pertained to the fact that the flow in the SE could not seem to ever 'droop' during that era.  

You really need that, or else despite the 'appeal' of the 'curves' in the flow, you're dealing with more ridging than may be/is readily identified. 

A nice break from the Nino dominant regime is clearly evident in the 6-15 day here. Likely related to the intraseasonal wave entering the warm Indian Ocean and interfering with the Nino signal (for now).  Clear drop in AAM in the forecast to coincide:

post-402-0-49840400-1445964238_thumb.png

(warning: this gefs AAM forecast always has a negative bias because ensemble means naturally trend more zonal with time)

Im eyeing *potential* for a  little cold period when/if that intraseasonal wave can propagate further east and onto the classic Nina regions and into far west pac. Weeklies would tell you otherwise though as its just pure ugliness through week 4.

80F (27C) would be +17C on top of those H85 temps. It's easy to do in the warm season, but naso much in early November.

Right. I mean I did the math out if you had a height of 1.55 km let's say for 850 then if you mixed dry adiabatically you'd be about 78F. Not that easy to mix that high though in November as you said.

Archived