amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Nippy Novie

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is intraseasonal things like tropical convection can temporarily screw around with the pattern.  This is not a Nino-like November pattern like Accuweather says it is.

when do you consider the start of winter in your hood

The cold season begins mid OCT and ends in mid April. By Novey I'd like too see highs in the 40's with cold rains. By TG, I'd like to see some highs in the upper 30's and by the end of the 1st week of DEC, I'd like to see snow on the ground for tbe rest of the true winter months ( 'till late March or so. ). I don't really care how MUCH snow is on the ground, just as long as it's cold, and at least some snow remains OTG. Big whopper storms mean very little to me if the snow mealts in a day or 2. I abhor mild winters, or winters with roller coaster temperature swings. I don't even consider the latter to be winter, but rather an early spring like pattern.

So having said this, real winter may not even occur this year unless the nino dies down in Feb as it may according to some.

Am I  missing something? I'm seeing mid 60's F with maybe a shot of approaching 70F on Friday occurring on one out of three sources. Maybe its just ORH, but unless you are in a favored warm spot like Tolland or in the Connecticut Valley it just looks warmish 60's. Granted, here in town I may see 70F challenged on Friday. Even so, it is not historic, just histrionic for some. 

Am I  missing something? I'm seeing mid 60's F with maybe a shot of approaching 70F on Friday occurring on one out of three sources. Maybe its just ORH, but unless you are in a favored warm spot like Tolland or in the Connecticut Valley it just looks warmish 60's. Granted, here in town I may see 70F challenged on Friday. Even so, it is not historic, just histrionic for some. 

Friday looks very warm. Thursday may hit 70 in those favored low elevation warm spots...but even that may depend on cloud cover. 

Bottom line, it is very tough to get U70s or higher this time of year. 

Archived