joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 2"-4" and hour with constant thunder in N. Queens from 9pm to 11pm and then again from midnight to 3am.

Most on these weather forums were sound asleep when the best part of the storm was occurring, which is why this storm is very underrated and people were sleeping and missed an epic storm.

At 2am, it was me, sundog and only 3-4 posters awake on this site while NYC and LI got pounded with 3"-6" an hour rates and constant thunder. We even official stations (ISP + LGA) confirm these snowfall rates. Not just a snow weenie's measurement.

Yea I know. I was up for the whole event. It was nuts. I did not receive any thundersnow but I had lots of thunder and lightning during the change over. It was heaviest sleet I've ever seen fall before it turned to blinding snow.

Yea I know. I was up for the whole event. It was nuts. I did not receive any thundersnow but I had lots of thunder and lightning during the change over. It was heaviest sleet I've ever seen fall before it turned to blinding snow.

I was up and on too. I was out shoveling mostly in long beach and had the best consistent rates I have seen. You could walk down the path shoveling and return 20 minutes later and another fresh inch had fallen you also couldn't see more then one block. There were a couple flashes but not much thunder

One of my personal favorites was 2/23/10. Only had 14" IMBY but it was pure cement and it snowed for over 24 consecutive hours. 

The Snowicane! It was actually 2/25-2/27/10.

One of my personal favorites. Not only was 28"+  widespread up here but the cutoff from S+ to R+ was beyond impressive & awkward.

Last 5 runs of GFS. Trend much? Any thoughts Mets?

post-28288-1447973652.gif

http://www.tropicalt...o...=0&ypos=334

Maybe if there's a noticeable shift tonight then it might be worth a look otherwise probably just model noise.

Interestingly you can kind of see how our storms might shape up deeper into winter as the storm track likely shifts further N&W over time (stronger jet, gradients, deeper lows more prone to negative tilt).

It's looking like we may get at least some snow at the of the month or by the beginning of December. Can't wait! GFS 18z just showed a snowy solution near or around thanksgiving. Let's see what the 0z runs show!

Winter Storm Watches will be issued by tomorrow so people will have plenty of time to prepare.

Oh man was I awake too. Was some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen-at one point for 20 minutes or so I could barely pick the house out directly across the street from me. 

That's what sucks about life in the South. 3-4" per hour rain just doesn't have the same... "ambiance" as that. 

Oh man was I awake too. Was some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen-at one point for 20 minutes or so I could barely pick the house out directly across the street from me.

That's what sucks about life in the South. 3-4" per hour rain just doesn't have the same... "ambiance" as that.

Did you get in on the thundersleet too?

Also wasn't there a cell with some rotation crashing into the south shore of Nassau or Queens just before or during the changeover? Idk why, but I vaguely remember that.

Did you get in on the thundersleet too?

Also wasn't there a cell with some rotation crashing into the south shore of Nassau or Queens just before or during the changeover? Idk why, but I vaguely remember that.

Yep, there was thundersleet. Only time I experienced that in my life. It was coming down so hard that it felt like nails hitting you. Within an hour it was over to dumping snow. 

Yep, there was thundersleet. Only time I experienced that in my life. It was coming down so hard that it felt like nails hitting you. Within an hour it was over to dumping snow. 

heavy sleet in itself is amazing, it's like someone throwing ball bearings out of the sky.   March 1993 I was west of Philly and we had hours of it, it never went to rain there.

I wish I had a better radar image and had the SRV but I really remember this cell between the :30-:35 mark having some rotation over the water.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3zBanwXDA4

Archived