joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patience will be Key for snow lovers ...December and maybe beginning of January may not produce much snow but then. . BAM...Snow machine in full force just my opinion ....

That is what everyone is saying. We just need to be patient ( I know the weenies can't do that like myself lol ). It should get colder in the 1st week of December with possibly 1-2 storms to track.

That is what everyone is saying. We just need to be patient ( I know the weenies can't do that like myself lol ). It should get colder in the 1st week of December with possibly 1-2 storms to track.

It's very possible that the strength of the Nino becomes too hard to overcome and this one is essentially a record breaker in the critical 3.4 region. 

For that reason alone, I wouldn't be expecting a big 2nd half comeback like last winter. Of course there will be a lot to monitor from now until mid January to see if we do see winter make an appearance at some point. Safe bet is to keep expectations very low and not count on a big wintry return come February.

Best case scenario is we hit the jackpot like in Feb 83, worst case is we continue to wait weeks for a winter that never comes. I think one thing that is more likely than anything is that the subtropical jet will be roaring at times, so chances of an above normal precip winter is way up there. 

It's very possible that the strength of the Nino becomes too hard to overcome and this one is essentially a record breaker in the critical 3.4 region. 

For that reason alone, I wouldn't be expecting a big 2nd half comeback like last winter. Of course there will be a lot to monitor from now until mid January to see if we do see winter make an appearance at some point. Safe bet is to keep expectations very low and not count on a big wintry return come February.

Best case scenario is we hit the jackpot like in Feb 83, worst case is we continue to wait weeks for a winter that never comes. I think one thing that is more likely than anything is that the subtropical jet will be roaring at times, so chances of an above normal precip winter is way up there. 

If that happens, then it would be a huge bust for every meteorologist out there lol. With the strong stj, there should be above normal precip. We just need the tellies on our side.

What critical about 3.4  ?  You realize the warmer the water is further west relative to both the averages and to the water further east could be a GOOD  thing , no you did not realize that .

Honestly you read a post and saw record breaking 3.4 and 4 and really have no idea what that would mean at 500 do you ? 

These are all temper tantrum posts , nothing more . 

You said the pattern is ugly for winter weather as if that's a shock. 

It's November  , you're not in winter yet , we don't see much winter historically at KNYC in November  and a warm month was predicted .

You shouldn't be looking for cold/snow right now at the coast  , if it happens consider it a gift. 

Agreed. Nov snow is rare (at/near coast) so a cold Nov usually means just a reason to be uncomfortable. I'd rather get the last glimpses of tolerable outdoor activities. Even a good chunk of Dec isn't that snowy on a reg basis..unless your a good distance N&W.  

What critical about 3.4 ? You realize the warmer the water is further west relative to both the averages and to the water further east could be a GOOD thing , no you did not realize that .

Honestly you read a post and saw record breaking 3.4 and 4 and really have no idea what that would mean at 500 do you ?

These are all temper tantrum posts , nothing more .

Relax, I'm obviously no expert but I understand what could unfold and each distinct possibility (the Nino thread has been very informative for those reasons).

I'm sitting back to see what unfolds. I appreciate seeing such a powerful Nino event that I may never see again.

Relax, I'm obviously no expert but I understand what could unfold and each distinct possibility (the Nino thread has been very informative for those reasons).

I'm sitting back to see what unfolds. I appreciate seeing such a powerful Nino event that I may never see again.

It is definitely a rare sight to see. You want to see region 3.4 being warm and shift west. That would promote ridging in the west which results to troughing in the east.

If the post lacks sound reasoning then it's subject to being challenged .

Claiming the heat in R 3.4 is critical to make a warm point will get addressed here.

You are posting rain when a model shows snow and posting a warm winter opinion when record warmth in the western basin

says otherwise .

You may see your first flakes in the midst of a warm pattern before winter actually starts.

Heck of a way to run a torch.

If the post lacks sound reasoning then it's subject to being challenged .

Claiming the heat in R 3.4 is critical to make a warm point will get addressed here.

You are posting rain when a model shows snow and posting a warm winter opinion when record warmth in the western basin

says otherwise .

You may see your first flakes in the midst of a warm pattern before winter actually starts.

Heck of a way to run a torch.

The model could show what it wants several days out, it's essentially meaningless unless there's strong ensemble support.

Your posts in the Nino thread indicate bias towards cold/snow directly opposite to say snowman19. Neither biases will help matters as we progress.

The model could show what it wants several days out, it's essentially meaningless unless there's strong ensemble support.

Your posts in the Nino thread indicate bias towards cold/snow directly opposite to say snowman19. Neither biases will help matters as we progress.

Bias ?

You really don't understand how this event evolved . Because if you followed from the beginning you wouldn't just opine that there was bias here.

You decide to jump in here after 6 months doing no work on the event , proclaiming since it's a NINO so it must mean warm .

Those questions were addressed and that work was done long ago it's a shame you missed it .

There are different implications within the event itself.

Did you even bother to read the ENSO thread ? Start with post # 78 on page 3 from MAY 20TH , ( Not sure if you will even know what that means or what a good call that turned out to be from 6 months out ) then come back to the board and tell everyone if that was bias or guidance as WAS EVERYTHING SINCE THEN .

I don`t know If I have ever had a better thread . Go back and read from page 1 , rip through and see what the forecasts were .

The westward migration of the NINO , a 1.8 - 2 ONI , record R 4 , the decline in R 1.2 from Sept onward a winter time - EPO +PNA , AN 2M Nov and Dec . I am plus 1 with AN snow @ KNYC . How is that biased cold ? Just dumb

It was the Euro from the spring , summer and now the fall guidance that tells me the ridge in Canada pulls back .

and where the greatest upward motion will take place during the winter .It`s not bias it was following the better guidance and it was all right .

Anyone who followed that thread will tell you , we did ok .

It was guidance and I suggest you use it .......

Those are their opinions

Bias ?

You really don't understand how this event evolved . Because if you followed from the beginning you wouldn't just opine that there was bias here.

You decide to jump in here after 6 months doing no work on the event , proclaiming since it's a NINO so it must mean warm .

Those questions were addressed and that work was done long ago it's a shame you missed it .

There are different implications within the event itself.

Did you even bother to read the ENSO thread ? Start with post # 78 on page 3 from MAY 20TH , ( Not sure if you will even know what that means or what a good call that turned out to be from 6 months out ) then come back to the board and tell everyone if that was bias or guidance as WAS EVERYTHING SINCE THEN .

I don`t know If I have ever had a better thread . Go back and read from page 1 , rip through and see what the forecasts were .

The westward migration of the NINO , a 1.8 - 2 ONI , record R 4 , the decline in R 1.2 from Sept onward a winter time - EPO +PNA , AN 2M Nov and Dec . I am plus 1 with AN snow @ KNYC . How is that biased cold ? Just dumb

It was the Euro from the spring , summer and now the fall guidance that tells me the ridge in Canada pulls back .

and where the greatest upward motion will take place during the winter .It`s not bias it was following the better guidance and it was all right .

Anyone who followed that thread will tell you , we did ok .

It was guidance and I suggest you use it .......

Should be interesting to see how this winter evolves, as it will be an important "laboratory experiment" in terms of Nino's of this magnitude. I know that some on the board are of the opinion that the magnitude / sheer intensity will simply overwhelm the pattern, rendering the winter generally torchy / snowless on the balance. If we do end up w/ a -AO and/or -NAO in means, it will be fascinating to see the combination of forcing mechanisms influence the outcome. If we do see a more 'moderate' temperature outcome, it will put to bed the notion that a Nino of such a strong magnitude always yields blowtorch.

Archived