joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96 was amazing. It was also the one and only time I had a snow day from school in my life. Besides that yr as a kid it just seemed like snow less after snow less winter. Or lots of 1"-3" then change to heavy rain events. To get over 6" was kind of mind blowing at the time, much less 2 feet. After the string of snowy winters since the 2000's it a little less mind blowing.

The boxing day blizzard had a worse and longer lasting impact on city life though.

I don't remember so many streets being unplowed and impassible for several days in 96. And the amount of abandoned cars (& buses, plows, etc) across the city was like nothing I ever seen before.

A lot of that was due to the intentional slowdown of sanitation.. 

Boxing Day is my number one, it was just intense from the gate, I remember walking home less than hour after the first flakes began falling and it was just difficult. January 2011 and 2015 are worthy contenders as well.

I was 3 during '96, so I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Speaking from my own experience, the cold was brutal last winter and snow overload. There is a reason why there are no snow-lovers in the Great Lakes or upstate Alaska.

Weather enthusiasts should gravitate to what their regions lack, imo. Seems like a setup for depression but when it does come, it's a sight to behold and treasure.

A string of snowless years would bring back my interest in colder weather. Regardless, I stress that I no longer wishcast. Everyone has done it at some point.

No snow lovers in the Great Lakes or upstate Alaska? Are you nuts? If anything you find the biggest snow lovers of all there!!! Their winters revolve around and in some cases depend on snow.

Boxing Day is my number one, it was just intense from the gate, I remember walking home less than hour after the first flakes began falling and it was just difficult. January 2011 and 2015 are worthy contenders as well.

I was 3 during '96, so I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Jan. 26,2011 at 12am, had 3"-6" an hour rates for NYC and LI with constant lightning and thunder.

I doubt any storm had heavier snow and intensity then that night.

Boxing Day had those rates for parts of NJ, but you are on LI.

Jan. 26,2011 at 12am, had 3"-6" an hour rates for NYC and LI with constant lightning and thunder.

I'm originally from Queens (which is LI, but not "LI"), I lived there until last year. I don't remember much thunder snow with Jan 26, I guess I missed the best of it. Boxing Day is just the most memorable to me, especially the aftermath, snow piles/drifts at 8ft+ blocking streets, I've never seen anything like that.

Was that the storm where it was 2 parts. The morning portion under delivered with very wet snow and maybe 3-5 inches or so . At night was the really heavy powder.

One of my personal favorites was 2/23/10. Only had 14" IMBY but it was pure cement and it snowed for over 24 consecutive hours. 

this shows you how mega spoiled we've been. like paul kocin has said at amwx conferences, these are the good ole' days

Yup.

There were no real big storms in my area growing up until March 1993 (even though it changed to sleet then rain here). The 2000-2010s have been amazing for snow lovers.

Archived