joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat/ Heavy rain SE SNE 08/11 disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says who?  Climo speak says there's a warm and a cool season.  Winter is definitely called "cool season" not "cold season."

DIT, Forky, and Me.

No one thinks of winter as "cool"....its freezing cold...literally.  And summer is hot, 80+ is hot for New England.  Next time it's 10 degrees outside for a high in January I'll just call it "cool" outside and put a light shawl on, after all its not cold outside.  :P

DIT, Forky, and Me.

No one thinks of winter as "cool"....its freezing cold...literally.  And summer is hot, 80+ is hot for New England.  Next time it's 10 degrees outside for a high in January I'll just call it "cool" outside and put a light shawl on, after all its not cold outside.  :P

lol, hey I didn't make up the classifications. 

The Koppen climate classifications put Boston as "hot summer continental" (warmest month avg temp >22C) and CON as "warm summer continental" (no months warmer than 22C.)  So pick your adjectives wisely.  ;)

After an hour-plus of very light rain (just above miserymist level), it's just picked up again.  AUG ASOS had only recorded 0.07" thru 2 PM, but puddles here suggest 3 times that much by then.

DIT, Forky, and Me.

By all means, let's change the convention then.

The problem is you're stuck in your backyard. These naming conventions are meant for the synoptic scale, covering large portions of the country or continent at a time. Yep, winter is cold in New England, but it's cool in Tennessee, and downright warm in Florida.

Why would you expect that?  The line looks fairly solid at this point with heavy rain.

It appears that there is a consoldation of heavier returns heading on the VT side of the border and another heavier batch (now elongating that appears to extrapolate just south of me.  To be clear--I said "much of the rain", not that I wouldn't get any. 

Besides, you know I don't get my qpf.  :)

Moderate RA in Augusta for an hour now, with some fresh breezes to throw it at the windows.  Some puddles in the grass now, which usually takes 1/2" or more (unless it all comes in about 5 minutes.)

Watched the radar loop as all those nice 30-35 dbz echoes diminished to 15-20 as they approached my home area, then built back to 25-30 after passing to the NE.  Hope that's a radar quirk rather than reality, though the Doppler estimate has me at under 0.30" with not much left to come.  Hope that's wrong as well. 

Archived