A BAND OF HEAVY RAIN WILL MOVE ACROSS EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS OVER THE

NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS.  THIS BAND OF RAIN HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING

STREET AND URBAN FLOODING.  UNDERPASSES AND TYPICALLY PRONE

LOCATIONS MAY SEE STANDING WATER UNTIL THE DRAINAGE IS ABLE TO KEEP

UP.

MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO USE CAUTION.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BOSTON...CAMBRIDGE...NEW BEDFORD...BROCKTON...QUINCY...LYNN...FALL

RIVER...NEWTON...SOMERVILLE...FRAMINGHAM...WALTHAM...MALDEN...

BROOKLINE...PLYMOUTH...MEDFORD...TAUNTON...WEYMOUTH...REVERE...

ARLINGTON AND EVERETT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TORRENTIAL RAINFALL WAS OCCURRING MINOR URBAN AND POOR DRAINAGE

FLOODING CAN BE EXPECTED. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED ROADS.

looks like southeast has the rain/wind threat. the northwest gets the storms to cap it off, in the middle like NE MA it's kinda meh. Working out pretty much as it was forecasted.

SREF severe parameters definitely had a better look to them around NYC this morning than with time as this LLJ moved east.

SREF severe parameters definitely had a better look to them around NYC this morning than with time as this LLJ moved east.

Not to be an ar$e but hasn't the SREF's only gotten progressively worse with time? I know last winter it made me gag anytime they were brought up. I imagine they are slightly more useful within severe forecasting.

Not to be an ar$e but hasn't the SREF's only gotten progressively worse with time? I know last winter it made me gag anytime they were brought up. I imagine they are slightly more useful within severe forecasting

The problem is probably because they have been so geared towards convective forecasting, that they are suspect in the winter now. I still find them very useful for warm season forecasting.

The problem is probably because they have been so geared towards convective forecasting, that they are suspect in the winter now. I still find them very useful for warm season forecasting.

They've been atrocious for several winters now.  I haven't looked at them much in the warm season, as quite frankly I'm not as interested in weather events.  But I'm sure you guys that do it daily for a living find some usefulness for them, haha.

Once the LLJ core slides east any potential is pretty much cooked. With no capping and tons of lift around, any instability generated will quickly allow for showers to develop. Going to be tough to get any good cores. If the LLJ was hanging around there would be a better chance of something utilizing that

Around 0.7" here now eyeballing the gauge out in the lawn.  Pouring.

Mountain sites in this area are taking the jackpot so far (shockingly haha). 

3,600ft Sterling Mountain...1.08" and counting.

2,100ft Bolton Valley...1.03" and counting.

1,500ft Stowe/Mansfield...0.89" and counting

They've been atrocious for several winters now.  I haven't looked at them much in the warm season, as quite frankly I'm not as interested in weather events.  But I'm sure you guys that do it daily for a living find some usefulness for them, haha.

You can imagine if they are fine tuned for convection, that in the winter they get a little convection happy at times and produce unrealistic scenarios.

You can imagine if they are fine tuned for convection, that in the winter they get a little convection happy at times and produce unrealistic scenarios.

Yeah definitely.  I think the glory years for them and winter weather was back in like 05-08.  I remember those were getting posted quite a bit on these forums (and taken seriously) in the SWFE 2007-2008 winter. 

Yeah definitely.  I think the glory years for them and winter weather was back in like 05-08.  I remember those were getting posted quite a bit on these forums (and taken seriously) in the SWFE 2007-2008 winter. 

Obviously that was back in the RSM/ETA member days. They've been downhill synoptically since then.

Making a late-run for the one inch mark... nearing 0.90" with a quick 1/4" in the past 30 minutes as some moderate to heavy rain trains over RT 108.  MVL (which is where the marker is on the radar) is up to 0.12" now, lol.  For every tenth that falls, it registers around a hundreth.

August_11_1230pm_zpsdkwi9krj.gif

Archived