• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat/ Heavy rain SE SNE 08/11 disco

Damage In Tolland

Well many times there are two QPF max areas. One is normally with the LLJ, upslope, and the normal frontogenesis over areas like NY state and NNE. The other is with the meso low that can happen and enhance convection. So, it's a matter of where the meso low tracks too. I can't say if it will be over CT or SE MA. Somewhere in that area. There also can be renegade bands ahead of it too, it's not clear cut at all. If it had to guess, second max is CT to near BOS...somewhere in that area give or take. However, don't hold a gun to my head on that. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. It's silly for Kevin to apply the "same thing as every other event" logic. 

His modelology is getting quite good, finding the sometimes obscure guidance that matches his thoughts.

Given the LLJ, we're almost guaranteed a SE upslope max zone. And like you say, another somewhere near the meso-low forcing. Doesn't really have a strong signal for coastal front enhancement, so that shouldn't be a factor robbing interior zones.

Just looking at the BTV4, quite the impressive low level jet for early/mid August ripping north up eastern New York and western New England. 

It's got a core of 60kts at H85 moving north from BGM to ALB to BTV.  Going to be a breezy day in the Champlain Valley where they can get much better mixing.  Summits should also see some fairly strong winds.

attachicon.gifAugust11.jpg

It is an unseasonably strong one I'd say, +3 anomaly or so at H8. Bufkit mixing out HIE to near 40 knot gusts tomorrow.

His modelology is getting quite good, finding the sometimes obscure guidance that matches his thoughts.

Given the LLJ, we're almost guaranteed a SE upslope max zone. And like you say, another somewhere near the meso-low forcing. Doesn't really have a strong signal for coastal front enhancement, so that shouldn't be a factor robbing interior zones.

Yeah the upslope should be good in favored spots. Might have to watch the hot tubs located on mtn streams in VT.

And then 12KM NAM. Hmm..see a pattern here? That's right, it's that the max zones are all over the place.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2015081012&fh=48&xpos=0&ypos=208

Yeah...that's 0.25" of QPF up here on that, and then another model run will have 1.75" or something. 

Just have to watch how the radar evolves.  RGEM is just a region wide soaker.

It is an unseasonably strong one I'd say, +3 anomaly or so at H8. Bufkit mixing out HIE to near 40 knot gusts tomorrow.

Yeah the SE downslope spots could get quite gusty if they can break the inversion around 2,000ft.  We should see a fairly similar to winter-time SE flow upslope/downslope couplets in the hills/mountains. 

The GFS showed it quite well with the upsloping flow into the Berkshires to SVT then over to NH/Lakes Region/foothills.  Minimum for LEB up through HIE/BML to the northwest of the Whites.  Then another upslope/downslope couplet over the Green mountain spine and into the Champlain Valley.

38736E09-B305-4077-AE78-8F8091048EE2_zps

74/70 all day long tomorrow..with morning convection ..a break ..and another round of evening convection. Scattered around..winners..and losers..typical summer convection

It's going to be a little better than your typical summer convection. That kind of out-of-season LLJ should provide enough forcing to give most people a decent bath. There will be mesoscale jackpots, but it's not some binary forecast of all or nothing either.

It's going to be a little better than your typical summer convection. That kind of out-of-season LLJ should provide enough forcing to give most people a decent bath. There will be mesoscale jackpots, but it's not some binary forecast of all or nothing either.

Yeah i see what you mean..but there's a few folks who have been saying/thinking this is just a general synoptic all day rain that gently soaks in. Seems like the vast majority of it is associated with big downpours and thunderstorms

Yeah i see what you mean..but there's a few folks who have been saying/thinking this is just a general synoptic all day rain that gently soaks in. Seems like the vast majority of it is associated with big downpours and thunderstorms

I mean expect embedded storms, but don't be surprised if there is a synoptic appeal too.

Archived