• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat/ Heavy rain SE SNE 08/11 disco

Damage In Tolland

Wonder if GFS is into its "final-48 qpf slide" that was pretty consistent for here 2nd half of winter.  Earlier runs (yesterday, this morning) gave AUG up to 1.2", but 12z down to 0.8".  That amount would be fine, unless the slide were to continue/accelerate.

I'm not seeing a hugely strong signal for greater than an inch (outside of parts of eastern NY). Ensemble guidance is hitting the usual suspects (southerly upslope zones) with higher probabilities. But the majority of areas outside of the high terrain they don't love for high QPF amounts.

Even though individual models have high totals, when you add up all the perturbations out there you see that the ops runs might just be deterministic noise. Could be that convective elements of high totals or nothing average out to less than 1 inch, or it could be that the LLJ is just too progressive to maintain widespread 1+ amounts.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are going to be haves vs have nots? And don't say we have no idea since its convection

74/70 all day long tomorrow..with morning convection ..a break ..and another round of evening convection. Scattered around..winners..and losers..typical summer convection

Typical summer convection (along with synoptic forcing), good luck pinning it down for max zones. 

It's also tough in general for models to handle synoptic rain events in summer since convection will cause havoc with output. One thing nice about winter, is the usually well modeled synoptics. Lack of convection is a plus for accuracy despite all the cursing we may do, when models slide too far offshore. In some cases, those ticks east are also due to convection. :lol:

Just looked at everything. My consensus of all models has the max new haven to boston. High totals really everywhere. The euro does produce a low level jet that should involve much of southern new england seeing significant rain. If we break into any sun tomorrow there may be some pretty gusty winds and a potential for localized stormier cells. It has that renegade severe warning or two look to it. I would expect that over SE MA or RI or somewhere near the southeastern portions of the CWA. There could be some impressive rainfall totals if the heavier stuff trains. It does have that look to it to me.

Just looked at some 18z runs and there is a very low probability of a very brief/weak spin-up tomorrow in the Hudson Valley area into NW CT. Have to watch and see if llvl winds remain backed at all but shear in the lowest few km isn't too shabby and some guidance does hint at the possibility of several hundred joules of mixed-later cape.

My guess is if something were to occur it would be very challenging to pick up on radar b/c the signature would be brief and would be engulfed in a mess of precipitation.

Just looked at some 18z runs and there is a very low probability of a very brief/weak spin-up tomorrow in the Hudson Valley area into NW CT. Have to watch and see if llvl winds remain backed at all but shear in the lowest few km isn't too shabby and some guidance does hint at the possibility of several hundred joules of mixed-later cape.

My guess is if something were to occur it would be very challenging to pick up on radar b/c the signature would be brief and would be engulfed in a mess of precipitation.

Looks like there is instability in the southeast portions though it appeared to me at least.. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong you know more than me with severe

Looks like there is instability in the southeast portions though it appeared to me at least.. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong you know more than me with severe

Historically with these type of setups it's very difficult to pinpoint where the greatest instability will occur b/c it all depends on isolated pockets of heating.  However, with a SW flow in the llvls, this can help to erode the cloud deck a bit, especially across the Hudson into extreme western CT.  

Around 15z-18z, some soundings show several hundred joules of mixed-layer cape across western CT with some pretty decent shear...the only question is whether we see a more SE component to the sfc winds.  

Also, these setups can yield another pocket of higher instability totals, right where you mentioned and this is helped from higher sfc dews/theta-e air and also b/c timing is usually later on, that allows a bigger window for some breaks of sun.  

I do like the heavy rain signal though for much of the region...this is really a pretty solid setup for some widespread stratoform rains

THIS COMBINATION

OF STRONG DYNAMIC LIFT/INSTABILITY/HIGH MOISTURE SHOULD SUPPORT
SHOWERS AND TSTMS. LOCALLY HEAVY DOWNPOURS AND STRONG WIND GUSTS
/TRANSLATED DOWN FROM THE SOUTHERLY JET/ WILL BE A CONCERN THIS
AFTERNOON AND EARLY TONIGHT. LOW LEVEL HELICITY VALUES OF 150+ ON
ALL THE MODELS SUGGEST SOME TORNADO POTENTIAL AS WELL.

THIS COMBINATION

OF STRONG DYNAMIC LIFT/INSTABILITY/HIGH MOISTURE SHOULD SUPPORT

SHOWERS AND TSTMS. LOCALLY HEAVY DOWNPOURS AND STRONG WIND GUSTS

/TRANSLATED DOWN FROM THE SOUTHERLY JET/ WILL BE A CONCERN THIS

AFTERNOON AND EARLY TONIGHT. LOW LEVEL HELICITY VALUES OF 150+ ON

ALL THE MODELS SUGGEST SOME TORNADO POTENTIAL AS WELL.

SPC has us in...nothing.

Archived