Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fishing on my boat several times these past few days and I don't see any "ridiculous" water temps for this time of year.

Reynold's Channel in Long Beach is the standard 76-79 degrees.

Once into the ocean, the temperature readings go from 72-79 degrees, depending on the location of the warm water eddies and tides/currents.

The warmest water I read was on Sunday at Cholera Banks (15 miles south of Jones Beach). Thermometer was 78.5 degrees.

Nothing crazy or "ridiculous" with these temps.

Fishing on my boat several times these past few days and I don't see any "ridiculous" water temps for this time of years.

Once into the ocean, the temperature readings go from 72-79 degrees, depending on the location of the warm water eddies and tides/currents.

The warmest water I read was on Sunday at Cholera Banks (15 miles south of Jones Beach). Thermometer was 78.5 degrees,

People sometimes over exaggerate water temps.

I can tell  you that in the back bays near Sommers Point last weekend the temps were in the lower 80's in places, but that's pretty typical for these shallow protected channels that tend to bake in the sun.

Fishing on my boat several times these past few days and I don't see any "ridiculous" water temps for this time of years.

The warmest water I read was on Sunday at Cholera Banks (15 miles south of Jones Beach). Thermometer was 78.5 degrees,

if you look at a sea temp anomaly map, well offshore is above normal.  Remnants of the warm AMO

I can tell  you that in the back bays near Sommers Point last weekend the temps were in the lower 80's in places, but that's pretty typical for these shallow protected channels that tend to bake in the sun.

Yeah. All those back bays sit in muddy and shallow banks and temps there can soar into the mid and upper 80s.

But I wouldn't consider that the actual water temps.

if you look at a sea temp anomaly map, well offshore is above normal.  Remnants of the warm AMO

I can tell you from personal experience, not from a computer program, that offshore is not that warm either. There are pockets of warm water here and there but overall, the Hudson Canyons and the offshore waters are not that warm. The anomaly maps are probably taking the warmest pockets of water and using it as a whole. That is extremely flawed.

I have been there recently and associate with Tuna fishermen who are there every day and the consensus is that the water is not warm and in fact on a lot of trips, they can not locate the warm water eddies that are needed to catch yellowfin and bigeye tuna. There is 1 warm water pocket about 150 miles south of Long Island, but that is very far south for this time of year. It hasn't budged in weeks and the yellowfin tuna have still not fully entered the local canyons. They are at least 2-3 weeks late, as were most fish species this season and the simple reason was the water was 2-3 weeks behind schedule.

Those waters do get warm for sure. Still can't get my pool above 80° though, only briefly during July. It loses the heat fast, but it's so hard to add a couple degrees even in this heat we've been having.

I counted 108 for 1944...

I used NWS NOWData stats. I counted 106 that yr but the NWS don't even recognize that either. When you put the annual totals in order it leaves it out, its listed as "M" There's missing data in Apr which could add the rest. It seems if there is missing data anywhere the whole thing gets thrown out for the purposes of certain records. Isn't 1944 the same yr that's suppose to have a 59 straight 80+ streak but the NWS doesn't list it. I'm finding out some records get murky as you go into the first half of the 1900s. 

Pre 1950 some stats get questionable. NWS motto is If there's any doubt..leave it out

I can tell you from personal experience, not from a computer program, that offshore is not that warm either. There are pockets of warm water here and there but overall, the Hudson Canyons and the offshore waters are not that warm. The anomaly maps are probably taking the warmest pockets of water and using it as a whole. That is extremely flawed.

I have been there recently and associate with Tuna fishermen who are there every day and the consensus is that the water is not warm and in fact on a lot of trips, they can not locate the warm water eddies that are needed to catch yellowfin and bigeye tuna. There is 1 warm water pocket about 150 miles south of Long Island, but that is very far south for this time of year. It hasn't budged in weeks and the yellowfin tuna have still not fully entered the local canyons. They are at least 2-3 weeks late, as were most fish species this season and the simple reason was the water was 2-3 weeks behind schedule.

The EC SST's are still running above normal relative  to climo for this time of year even though they may not be at the peak

levels that we saw between 2010-2013. Just like this summer is cooler than the 2010-2013 peak heat but is still above normal.

I used NWS NOWData stats. I counted 106 that yr but the NWS don't even recognize that either. When you put the annual totals in order it leaves it out, its listed as "M" There's missing data in Apr which could add the rest. It seems if there is missing data anywhere the whole thing gets thrown out for the purposes of certain records. Isn't 1944 the same yr that's suppose to have a 59 straight 80+ streak but the NWS doesn't list it. I'm finding out some records get murky as you go into the first half of the 1900s. 

Pre 1950 some stats get questionable. NWS motto is If there's any doubt..leave it out

In 1944, Battery Park was the official site for NYC. However, for purposes of consistency, it makes sense to compare Central Park's data with Central Park's data.

the records were always there...whether estimated or recorded at the time...The reanalysis of the records caused the missing days...why?...I don't know...

I hear what you are saying. The Ocean is a lot more dynamic than what a computer can depict. Even just swimming around in the ocean you can go into cool and warm pockets.  I like to check the maps that Rutgers puts out because they measure the surface temp from satellite everyday. Its certainly not perfect, but it gives you a general idea, and you can certainly see the waters can change temps pretty drastically even day to day sometimes.  The Tuna guys usually pay for access to the expensive and much more granular version of these maps that exist.  But I also think the Tuna fisherman need not just warm eddies, but warm eddies bumped up against cooler water as well. At least that is what I've been told, I haven't done a ton of Tuna fishing. 

As far as the anomalies- we may just be talking about a 1-2 degree departure in genral, but that is pretty significant. Think of El Nino, .9 degrees above normal is an official El Nino. 2 degrees above normal and the world loses its collective mind. 

It's weird how this summer has been so warm on the coast yet near normal in the interior. Here in the Poconos, it was 74F today with a low of 52F expected tonight. We should be in the upper 60s to low 70s for the rest of the week with lows a few degrees on either side of 50F.

Seems as if fronts have had a hard time penetrating the coast. May have to do with warm SSTs offshore.

Archived