• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion

Powerball

We also had a pleasant day today.  The dewpoint rose back into the upper 60s this afternoon, but with clouds, a breeze, and a temp stuck in the 70s it felt nice.  I'm not sure what kind of rain/storms we'll be getting tonight/tomorrow, but I'm certainly hoping for a good soaking.  July has been quite dry.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went looking for some of the higher dews around the planet today, and found one from near the Gulf of Oman south of the Persion Gulf at Fujairah (OMFJ).  At 00Z they are 91/88/128!  Visibility is down to a little over 2 miles with a northeast wind right off that hot gulf water.

Here's the interesting bit, at 20Z they had an ob of 102/50 with a down-sloping west-northwest wind off the peninsula.  That's one hell of a change in air mass in such a short time, and based solely on which way the wind is blowing.  Has to be an amazing thing to experience on a day like that.

4vptef.jpg

2h2jbc2.jpg

Went looking for some of the higher dews around the planet today, and found one from near the Gulf of Oman south of the Persion Gulf at Fujairah (OMFJ).  At 00Z they are 91/88/128!  Visibility is down to a little over 2 miles with a northeast wind right off that hot gulf water.

Here's the interesting bit, at 20Z they had an ob of 102/50 with a down-sloping west-northwest wind off the peninsula.  That's one hell of a change in air mass in such a short time, and based solely on which way the wind is blowing.  Has to be an amazing thing to experience on a day like that.

Imagine how much CAPE there is with that environment :blink: unless there's amazingly warm air aloft, it's gotta be huge

Killing frost incoming for some UP residents. To me... July 15th is the peak of summer too.

the first frost for my local area is usually late August or around the first of Sept.

Lot's of nice Summer weather to be had before that tho..  Today was a perfect example.

High was 73.  That was 31 degree rise, but check out some of the local rebounds today!

-Baraga Plains: +43° (36 to 79)

- Kenton: +42° (38 to 80)

- Ironwood: +36° (43 to 79)

- Randville: +35° (41 to 76)

- Seney: +34° (41 to 75)

Like · Comment · Share

That's just insane - an 88° dewpoint! There you would not want the wind off the water. Dewpoint down to 72° at this hour there.

Some of the most saline water in the world is right there in the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman.

Great day today. High of 70°, low of 57° - at least so far.

I wonder too. It's an extremely remote area so I doubt it affects too many. Lots of upper 30's and low 40's this summer for me. My potted plants look awful

I found where Doe Lake was in the eastern lowlands of the U.P. Always thought that location was in the high country of the western U.P. I know like the Crystal Falls and Iron River area really can bottom out a lot.

Root vegetables would probably do ok there.

NAM's suggesting highs in the low 90s on Friday and Saturday (fairly impressive mixing heights on Friday).

It would be nice...

It's more than time,.but I'd love to see if we can steal another July with no 90 days. 2008 & 2009 had ZERO days of 90, while 2014 had ONE. This is incredible for july. Obviously we are at zero so far in 2015 as well. I think we will see one or two this July, but I'd have to give the odds of another summer of below avg 90s at about 85%

FWA should end its streak of not reaching the normal high tomorrow that has been running since 6/23. The point is saying 87° with a normal of 85°.

Sounds like I better enjoy the upper 70's and low dews today. Gonna need a paint scraper to get the undies off for the next few days.

FWA should end its streak of not reaching the normal high tomorrow that has been running since 6/23. The point is saying 87° with a normal of 85°.

Sounds like I better enjoy the upper 70's and low dews today. Gonna need a paint scraper to get the undies off for the next few days.

another day of low 70s here lakeside :)

hi-res NAM keeps the effective warm front south tomorrow as well...no surprise there

this mini heat wave will top out at 86 IMBY saturday afternoon

It's more than time,.but I'd love to see if we can steal another July with no 90 days. 2008 & 2009 had ZERO days of 90, while 2014 had ONE. This is incredible for july. Obviously we are at zero so far in 2015 as well. I think we will see one or two this July, but I'd have to give the odds of another summer of below avg 90s at about 85%

Technically, we're at 1 so far through 2015 for 90*F+ days (that intra-hour day in June).

Only 0.56" of rain here this morning.  As has been the case with nearly every system in recent weeks, storms and heavier rain have passed through southern Iowa, leaving only weakening light to moderate stratiform showers for areas farther north in Iowa.  Also, like previous systems, redevelopment later in the day should mostly be south and east of the area.

I haven't hit 90 since Sept 2013. No matter what anyone says, 89.7 is 89.7

Yeah. I was just referring to July.

I was only referring to July

Oops, my mistake. 

If there's good news for you and the rest that aren't looking forward to the heat, the timing of the warm front passage tomorrow has slowed down on the models. So 90*F on Friday (and thus an official 3-day heatwave) is looking less likely.

EDIT: Then again, 6/10/15 (under a similar setup) had temps still in the mid 70s with ongoing convection as late as 11am, but still managed to hit 90*F. So I wouldn't completely rule it out yet.

another day of low 70s here lakeside :)

hi-res NAM keeps the effective warm front south tomorrow as well...no surprise there

this mini heat wave will top out at 86 IMBY saturday afternoon

Thinking of revising that number yet? Gonna be hard to not hit 90 with 925 mb temps around +27, even if a lake breeze forms.

Archived