Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 22-23 Severe Weather Outbreak

Stebo

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest HRRR starting to pick up on a tornado threat later this afternoon/evening across Northern Illinois.

Something I noticed though is that the surface temp progs are not matching reality right now.  For instance, it's showing temps of 80+ in much of N IL right now but it's cooler than that.

Something I noticed though is that the surface temp progs are not matching reality right now.  For instance, it's showing temps of 80+ in much of N IL right now but it's cooler than that.

I think that's due to how it's handling current showers/storms...which is not well.

It has weakening showers along the IL/WI border quickly fading in the next hour. When in reality that activity is further south, and then you have that activity in E. Iowa that is further developing...which it doesn't show at all.

After looking at this - yeah I think so, especially this far north.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/PCPN/DATA/RT/NA/IR4/20.jpg

Well, if you look at the latest visible satellite loop is appears that clouds have been clearing gradually for a bit, and in the last 30 minutes or so at a bit of a faster clip... at least some clearing is occurring over SE IA and E IL attm with temps ranging in the upper 70's to low 80's across this area as well as C IL, and that should translate north and east some over the next hour or two.

Well, if you look at the latest visible satellite loop is appears that clouds have been clearing gradually for a bit, and in the last 30 minutes or so at a bit of a faster clip... at least some clearing is occurring over SE IA and E IL attm, and that should translate north and east some over the next hour or two.

Getting brighter in La Grange, clouds appear to be gradually thinning

Boundary retreating north accross central iowa...some cooling in cloud tops on the back edge of the mcs shield better defining things

That boundary is going to have a tough time lifting north farther to the east. Looking like an I-80/south show later in my mind.

18z LOT aviation update

IT IS ANOTHER VERY MESSY CONVECTIVE DAY ACROSS THE REGION EARLY THIS   AFTERNOON...THEREFORE CONVECTIVE ACTIVITY THROUGH THIS EVENING WILL   BE THE PRIMARY WEATHER CONCERN.     CURRENTLY CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH A LARGE COMPLEX OF   THUNDERSTORMS...FROM LAST NIGHT...CONTINUES TO WEAKEN AS IT   APPROACHES THE EASTERN TERMINALS. THIS IS RESULTING IN MAINLY JUST   SHOWERS WITH SOME EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE AREA.  \AREAS OF   SHOWERS AND STORMS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP FARTHER WEST OVER EASTERN   IOWA...AND THIS APPEARS TO BE ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF A REMNANT   LOW LEVEL JET. IT APPEARS THIS ACTIVITY WILL LIKELY WEAKEN AS IT   MOVES EASTWARD ACROSS ILLINOIS.      THE NEXT CONCERN CONTINUES TO BE FOR ANOTHER PERIOD OF STRONG TO   SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EARLY THIS EVENING. AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT   IS EXPECTED TO SPARK OFF ADDITIONAL STORMS LATER THIS   AFTERNOON...AND THESE STORMS COULD IMPACT THE EASTERN TERMINALS   AROUND OR SHORTLY AFTER 00 UTC THIS EVENING. HOWEVER...THERE   CONTINUES TO BE  UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE EXTENT OF THIS POTENTIAL   SECOND ROUND OF THUNDERSTORMS. PLENTY OF CLOUD COVER LOOKS TO REMAIN   OVER MUCH OF THE AREA THROUGH AT LEAST EARLY AFTERNOON...AND THIS   COULD LIMIT THE RECOVERY OF THE ATMOSPHERE SOME THIS AFTERNOON...AND   IN RETURN THE EXTENT OF ADDITIONAL STORMS LATER. HOWEVER...WITH   RECENT SATELLITE TRENDS SHOWING WARMING CLOUD TOPS OVER MUCH OF THE   AREA...AND AN AREA OF CLEARING OVER NORTHERN IOWA...IT IS STILL   POSSIBLE THAT CONDITIONS COULD RECOVER THIS AFTERNOON TO ALLOW FOR   AT LEAST SOME SCATTERED STORM DEVELOPMENT ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE   APPROACHING COLD FRONT. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE GIVEN THE  MAGNITUDE OF THE MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES (LARGE CHANGES IN TEMP WITH  HEIGHT). WITH THIS IN MIND...I AM PLANNING ON HOLDING ON TO THE  CURRENT TIMING FOR THUNDER EARLY THIS EVENING. CONDITIONS WILL  CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED.    IN ADDITIONAL TO THE THUNDERSTORMS...IT APPEARS THERE COULD BE A 1-2   HOUR PERIOD AFTER 19 UTC THAT THE WINDS COULD BECOME EASTERLY   FOLLOWING THE AREA OF SHOWERS AND STORMS CURRENTLY MOVING OVER THE   EASTERN TERMINALS. IF THIS OCCURS...WE COULD SEE WIND SPEEDS TOP 10   KT. HOWEVER...THIS APPEARS TO BE A SHORT LIVED EVENT...WITH THE   WINDS EXPECTED TO SHIFT BACK OUT OF THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST BY MID   AFTERNOON.   

Archived