• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 22-23 Severe Weather Outbreak

Stebo

Not to be cornball....but a strong nightime EF3 goes through a decently populated area and there were only a handful of injuries and no fatalities. Major shout out to the spotters and LOT goes without saying...

It is impressive. The EF4 that rolled south of Toledo in 2010 at Midnight took 7 lives and injured many more thru a very rural area with a huge lack of spotters. I would say me and AppsRunner might be the only active chasers south of the city honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally have a chance to type this brief thing up...

After being hesitant and not leaving until it was about too late, I made it down to Ottawa in time for the tornadic HP storm to approach. It had nice structure, which was constantly illuminated by lightning, and a rain-wrapped circulation. I was sitting on Route 23, on the far north side of Ottawa as the storm approached and passed. The EF-1 tornado that occurred passed about 4 miles to my north, and was rain-wrapped. I thought I might have gotten a brief glimpse of it illuminated by a CG, but it could have just been scud along the edge of the rain shield...Who knows. I ended up continuing east with the storm on Route 6, as it potentially produced two more rain-wrapped tors (Per LOT, but unconfirmed still). One NNE of Seneca, just to my north....And then another ENE of Seneca, just to my east while driving through the backside of the hook. Ended up calling it a chase after this due to how things were going. Have a brief video I took while on the north side of Ottawa, as the rain-wrapped tor was occurring.

After being hesitant and not leaving until it was about too late, I made it down to Ottawa in time for the tornadic HP storm to approach. It had nice structure, which was constantly illuminated by lightning, and a rain-wrapped circulation. I was sitting on Route 23, on the far north side of Ottawa as the storm approached and passed. The EF-1 tornado that occurred passed about 4 miles to my north, and was rain-wrapped. I thought I might have gotten a brief glimpse of it illuminated by a CG, but it could have just been scud along the edge of the rain shield...Who knows. I ended up continuing east with the storm on Route 6, as it potentially produced two more rain-wrapped tors (Per LOT, but unconfirmed still). One NNE of Seneca, just to my north....And then another ENE of Seneca, just to my east while driving through the backside of the hook. Ended up calling it a chase after this due to how things were going. Have a brief video I took while on the north side of Ottawa, as the rain-wrapped tor was occurring.

Have you seen the public DAT viewer and do the points near Seneca match up with what you saw? We had a team from ILX survey LaSalle county and for now we didn't rate the damage north of Seneca as tornadic because had no eyewitness accounts there and also radar pretty much showed ~80 kt outbounds in that area. Once crossing over into Grundy County between county border and Morris, radar looks a little more convincing, but by that point survey team was driving through on way back to ILX, so they saw damage points we collected but didn't do a detailed survey. Also left that area TBD for now.That you saw them helps and I can let people looking at the survey stuff at the office today know.

Nice.  Guess I should type something about my encounter as well.

Noticed the storm west of Clinton IA was finally looking like it was going to become surface-based, so took off north after that.  On the short drive north the storm quickly organized into a surface-based storm, with the tell-tale kidney bean look of a maturing sup on radar.  As much as I wanted to drive right up to it and watch it take off, that would have meant crossing the Mississippi into a populated area, so just hung out on the IL side and waited.  Shot a time lapse of the early development, which was pretty cool.  One of the longest beaver tails I've ever seen quickly developed, and stretched from the east-northeast portion of the sky, all the way back west to the west-northwest horizon.  Huge positive strike bolts started striking out of the anvil to the east, which is usually a pretty good sign you have a beast in the making.  Followed the sup east-southeast towards Sterling.  Didn't take long for it to wrap the RFD core completely around the south-southeast side of it to where you couldn't see much.  Passed through the west side of Sterling, and that's where the RFD core overtook me.  Nearly got blown off the interstate as I tried to escape east out of it.  Finally punched through the wrapping rain curtains to the southeast of Sterling.  Followed it down to west of Harmon, where apparently it produced again.  Never did see any actual tornadoes, as you would have to be tucked up in the bears cage to see them with this thing.  Kudos to Lucio and others who were able to pull that off. 

This is the only time I think I may have seen what may have been the actual tornadic circulation.  This was shortly before the Harmon tornado looking north here.  The couplet was wrapped up inside the hook like a cinnamon bun.  Rain curtains were screaming left to right here, and the lowering behind the curtains to the left of the highway was probably the circulation.  

Contrasted view.

fylsnp.jpg

Have you seen the public DAT viewer and do the points near Seneca match up with what you saw? We had a team from ILX survey LaSalle county and for now we didn't rate the damage north of Seneca as tornadic because had no eyewitness accounts there and also radar pretty much showed ~80 kt outbounds in that area. Once crossing over into Grundy County between county border and Morris, radar looks a little more convincing, but by that point survey team was driving through on way back to ILX, so they saw damage points we collected but didn't do a detailed survey. Also left that area TBD for now.That you saw them helps and I can let people looking at the survey stuff at the office today know.

Oh, I didn't actually see them. Probably should have worded it all different in that summary. I was just merely mentioning that the office had shown that they potentially occurred, and just added in for comparison as to where my position was at the time. I was within 2-5 miles of the couplet the entire time at that point, but anything that might have happened would have been rain-wrapped.  The only thing I can say for sure is other than flooding, I didn't come across any sort of damage while on Route 6 in that area.

Going through my video now, and I indeed might have seen the Ottawa tornado. Here's two screen shots from the brief video I took. Looks like a ragged cone-ish shape, along with a power flash. It's in the right location as well. Still not totally sold though. You be the judge...

2s9yq7p.jpg

2j2gk77.jpg

Here is a photo of my friends place at Woodhaven Lakes as well as a diagram showing where they are located relative to the damage path.

Very happy to say they are OK.

I was standing right there yesterday while doing the damage survey, the SW side of the area was hardest hit. 

The amount of trees there was probably the saving grace as they probably added friction and didn't allow the strongest winds to get down to the surface as we only saw a few mobile homes blown over. 

I was standing right there yesterday while doing the damage survey, the SW side of the area was hardest hit.

The amount of trees there was probably the saving grace as they probably added friction and didn't allow the strongest winds to get down to the surface as we only saw a few mobile homes blown over.

Wow. Had no idea that place was that large

I apologize if this was already posted, this is the Portland, MI tornado..... Skip ahead to about 1:10.

It's funny how people keep driving around like nothing is happening. A car turns RIGHT into the path of the tornado.

Final tornado count is 10 in northern IL.

I'd be curious to know if/when one supercell has produced 10 tornadoes in northern or Illinois in general. 

One prolific cell that immediately comes to mind is 6/7/2008, but I think that produced 8.

Going through my video now, and I indeed might have seen the Ottawa tornado. Here's two screen shots from the brief video I took. Looks like a ragged cone-ish shape, along with a power flash. It's in the right location as well. Still not totally sold though. You be the judge...

2s9yq7p.jpg

2j2gk77.jpg

Bump... Anyone?

As with a lot of stills, it's really hard to tell, but based on the other cloud features, it looks like the right area and I don't know what else it could be.

Of course, this is coming from someone who, although I've witnessed several tornadoes, I don't always know what I'm looking at.  I watched the Nov. 2002 EF-2 in Hartford City, IN for a good 30 seconds before I realized what I was watching! :lol::bag:

• 3 months later...

So what's considered "the metro"?

A million years late and I apologize for bumping an old post. I appreciate the help you and Victor provided me while I tried to get DAT points from that event. An interesting event to see first hand from the "war room". In answer to your question, I personally consider the "metro" as the collar counties around Cook. Lake/McHenry/Dupage/Will/Lake IN. You can make an argument for Kane as well.

Archived