joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 22-23 Severe Weather Outbreak

Stebo

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'll be the first to admit I kind of thought this threat was down and out to an extent upon seeing the effect of that morning MCS. However, the wind fields with this system remained very impressive and combined with very rich moisture lead to quite the event this evening with several destructive tornadoes it appears. Kudos to cyclone in particular with the pre-event analysis.

The following phrase was going through my mind last night and seems to be kicking in here; "anomalous setups lead to anomalous results". I'm pretty sure most events would be down for the count following morning convection as extensive as this was, but the strength of this trough overcame that.

uh

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  1100 PM CDT MON JUN 22 2015     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    1040 PM     FLASH FLOOD      KANKAKEE                41.12N 87.86W   06/22/2015                   KANKAKEE           IL   EMERGENCY MNGR                  FLOODING ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTY. MULITPLE ROADS               IMPASSIBLE WITH SOME FLOATING DEBRIS.  

d05bfd387f3206d04db3392ba1f2004c.jpg

Didn't have a chance to post earlier because I was too busy but Tony and I were very concerned despite the mixed signals at that point. After what just happened this evening, I wish things didn't work out. Very unsettling when Gino went live on weather radio around when the tornado crossed I-55 near Braidwood. Also one of my coworkers is from Mendota and his family still lives there which was also hit by a tornado. Sickened to hear about people trapped in buildings and campers. Will be back at the office in the morning to either survey or coordinate info coming back from the surveys. This is going to end up being a challenging process for the survey teams since it appears we had several tornadoes from Western Lee County all the way to Kankakee County.

What an Epic bust here in Central MI, This had soooooooooo much potential, at least I heard 8 or so thunders basically doubling my season total. Worst Climo for real. here.

A lot of Coal City is destroyed with people still trapped as we speak and you're whining? Sometimes severe weenies are the worst, and this is coming from one..

Very loud thunder here, still 35 miles out from the leading edge of the line of storms. A true sign that these are the real deal.

A lot of Coal City is destroyed with people still trapped as we speak and you're whining? Sometimes severe weenies are the worst, and this is coming from one..

Not only that but about 40 miles east of him there was a confirmed tornado that touched down. Even in the biggest outbreaks there isn't going to be 100% coverage of extreme stuff.

A lot of Coal City is destroyed with people still trapped as we speak and you're whining? Sometimes severe weenies are the worst, and this is coming from si

sorry i'm sure some areas got destroyed, just very disappointed in my area getting nearly nothing when it was in the very center of the spc forecasts the last 2 days. good luck to anybody that actually got nailed.

Didn't have a chance to post earlier because I was too busy but Tony and I were very concerned despite the mixed signals at that point. After what just happened this evening, I wish things didn't work out. Very unsettling when Gino went live on weather radio around when the tornado crossed I-55 near Braidwood. Also one of my coworkers is from Mendota and his family still lives there which was also hit by a tornado. Sickened to hear about people trapped in buildings and campers. Will be back at the office in the morning to either survey or coordinate info coming back from the surveys. This is going to end up being a challenging process for the survey teams since it appears we had several tornadoes from Western Lee County all the way to Kankakee County.

Sure hope everyone is okay in those impacted areas.  

Not sure if this is the right thread for this... But just for laughs this is a 00Z 4KM NAM sounding for Wednesday at 7pm in S IA. Doesn't seem to be convectively disrupted either, since there is a lack of anything in this area at 7pm. 

post-7962-0-71380600-1435032646_thumb.pn

Not to mention having to navigate around high water/river flooding.  Looking forward to the surveys.

Not to mention having to navigate around high water/river flooding. Looking forward to the surveys.

Excellent point. We probably should be doing flood surveys now too, but it's just been such a taxing month on the office with short staffing and some on vacation. Pretty much May for the southern Plains shifted up here. Tomorrow will be my 8th day in a row working, 5 or 6 of which I had OT.

Just picked this off of the WGN weather center page.

Video of a mall wall/roof collapse in Sterling.

http://wgntv.com/2015/06/22/video-damage-to-mall-in-sterling/

Authorities say high winds have caused heavy damage in Coal City, a community of about 5,000 residents south of Chicago.

Lt. David Doerfler of the Coal City Fire Protection District said late Monday that in addition to structural damage, roads in the city have been blocked by fallen trees and power lines. He says there have been no confirmed reports of injuries.

The National Weather Service reports high winds have also caused damage near the Lee County community of Sublette.
-Associated Press

Ugh.

In Lee and LaSalle counties west of the Chicago suburbs, people reported damage to buildings, marble-sized hail and near-zero visibility as the storm passed. A mass-casualty event call for mutual aid was made near Amboy and Sublette for reports of people in the Woodhaven Lakes campground trapped in overturned trailers along U.S. 30. Rescue work will continue well into the morning.

Archived