• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Any snow still left in Boston Snow Pile?

sferic

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol.  Seems to be more junk than snow, if there is truly any snow in there.

Is that the same place of that photo earlier in the thread where there were people walking on that pile?

No  this  is  west   of  Boston. This is  what  it  looked like on Feb 26th http://s25.photobucket.com/user/KartAnimal29/media/dana%20%20snow_zpszgw3bwlz.jpg.html

Snow pile at Central Terminal, Buffalo is still there, but speculation is that soil picked up by plows and dumped with the snow is now insulating what's left and slowing the melt rate considerably.

Apparently there are now plants growing in the sediment deposits encrusting the Buffalo pile. I don't quite know how to express how grossed out I am by this fact.

lol.

That is nasty.  Very surprised that it is that pile that's left considering the salt air that attacks it all day long.

Well it's obviously not directly exposed to the salt air anymore. It is insulated by dirt and trash.

...Very true.

Before refrigerators, wasn't ice cut from lakes kept all summer long with sawdust in ice sheds?  Not sure how long the ice lasted, but from what I understood quite a long time.

And rivers. All of the huge icehouses along the Kennebec below Augusta are long gone, but icecutting and storage was a very important business during the 19th and early 20th century there. I'm sure they could've kept ice year-round in those sheltered (from sun and from air currents) and sawdust-covered masses if they had not been shipping it to Boston throughout the summer.

Checked out the Stowe pile today...no snow depot here.  Only things on top of the snow are objects people have been jumping or jibbing off of with skis and snowboards.

Down to about 15 feet deep at this point as of July 8th...nothing insulating it, just tenacious as all heck sitting there in full summer sunshine every day.

Checked out the Stowe pile today...no snow depot here.  Only things on top of the snow are objects people have been jumping or jibbing off of with skis and snowboards.

Down to about 15 feet deep at this point as of July 8th...nothing insulating it, just tenacious as all heck sitting there in full summer sunshine every day.

attachicon.gifJuly_8th_Lower_Standard.jpg

Insulate that badboy and revisit in August.

attachicon.gifJuly_8th_Lower_Standard.jpg

I like the random tire thrown in for good measure!

...Very true.

Before refrigerators, wasn't ice cut from lakes kept all summer long with sawdust in ice sheds?  Not sure how long the ice lasted, but from what I understood quite a long time. 

And rivers. All of the huge icehouses along the Kennebec below Augusta are long gone, but icecutting and storage was a very important business during the 19th and early 20th century there. I'm sure they could've kept ice year-round in those sheltered (from sun and from air currents) and sawdust-covered masses if they had not been shipping it to Boston throughout the summer.

Ice was big business here in New England in the 19th century.  It was shipped all over the world!

http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/LifeInNewEngland-Ice-Harvesting.html

Archived