• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Any snow still left in Boston Snow Pile?

sferic

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has all the snow melted or is any left?

I've always been fascinated with the life cycle of giant snow piles. Unfortunately, every time I ponder this interest of mine, I inevitably end up wondering about my own psychological health. It makes the whole process a bit less enjoyable.

I'd still like to know the answer to your question, though.  :facepalm:  

Yeah that thing isn't going anywhere until at least mid July I think.

I'll have to go take a look soon...it's not too far from where I work.

I agree all the crap sitting on top of it is acting like an insulating blanket. I know it sounds crazy but if the layer of soot and garbage is thick enough it could make it even further. Kind of like how they put blankets over the glaciers in the alps

I had heard that snows from the blizzard of 1888 lasted into July.

But a coastal city with snow on the ground still, in June.

Even Lake Placid doesn't get that.

Just amazing.

Here on Long Island, a guy built a snowman on his lawn which the media was following; but in melted by the beginning of April.

But June? Next week is summer, truly astounding.

A  friend  has a snow  dump  west  of  Boston  and it's still there. Last  year it lasted till  Sept. This  was taken on Feb  14th  http://s25.photobucket.com/user/KartAnimal29/media/snow%20%20dump_zpsqbwosz8w.jpg.html

That's truly impressive.  I thought the 2008 Central Maine Glacier (Augusta snowdump) did well to last until August 25.  Persistence is helped by the road sand and stuff on top, and also hinges on degree of airflow.  A pile in a hollow will do better than the riverside dump in Augusta, which gets free flow of warm air when summer southerlies blow upriver.  This year both that dump and the deeper (but on a hillside) one nearer my office disappeared during the end-of-May warm spell.

Everyone needs to remember there was no place to put the snow after the 3 week blitz. The snow farms that were created were from necessity not convenience. The city and surrounding suburbs were clogged. Traffic lights were buried. Cars were left on side streets buried. Driving around the city and the burbs was almost impossible! They had to put it all somewhere and fast.

My  buddy  posted this  pic on the  23rd.  His pile is  still pretty  big.  http://s25.photobucket.com/user/KartAnimal29/media/Dana%20%20snow%20%20pile_zpssevhf4px.jpg.html

lol.  Seems to be more junk than snow, if there is truly any snow in there.

Is that the same place of that photo earlier in the thread where there were people walking on that pile?

Archived