SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried my hand at gardening this year. Small plot w just heirloom tomatoes, sungold yellow cherry tomatoes, tomatillos and red chili peppers. The peppers and grape tomatoes are doing great. I've only had one heirloom reach decent size and it's quite big. The plant has produced lots of flowers, but there are only a few other tiny fruit growing. The tomatillos produced lots of flowers but no fruit. Any oointers?

They're all in well drained soil w good light. Used espoma brand food.

It's still pretty early to have tomatoes of good size.  I'm a regular gardener, and the earliest I harvest any of mine (I also do various heirloom varieties) is right around the Fourth of July - and even that's pushing it.  In general, I harvest from mid-July through mid-October, with early-August through mid-September being the biggest harvesting months for tomatoes.  I usually have six or seven plants (this year I only have five), and they come hot and heavy at that time, so I'm picking at least a couple lbs per day.

As of yesterday, one of my tomatoes (Jersey Devil) had about ten tomatoes on it, but all except one were really small.  I don't think I'll be harvesting that biggest one for another month.  The four others have 2-4 brand-new tomatoes on them, though all my plants have a lot of flowers.  My peppers - Anaheim, jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello, and mini red bell - all have peppers on them a lot earlier than I'm used to.  I generally don't start harvesting peppers until August, but I may very well have a few ready to harvest (mini bells and JN) within three or four weeks.

Yours sound as though they're right about on schedule, although I don't have any experience with tomatillos.  Oftentimes you'll get one big, early tomato, then the rest follow a few weeks later.  Before you know it, you'll have trusses full of tomatoes and you won't be able to keep up with them.  And those Sungolds can  overwhelm you if you aren't ready for them!

It's still pretty early to have tomatoes of good size.  I'm a regular gardener, and the earliest I harvest any of mine (I also do various heirloom varieties) is right around the Fourth of July - and even that's pushing it.  In general, I harvest from mid-July through mid-October, with early-August through mid-September being the biggest harvesting months for tomatoes.  I usually have six or seven plants (this year I only have five), and they come hot and heavy at that time, so I'm picking at least a couple lbs per day.

As of yesterday, one of my tomatoes (Jersey Devil) had about ten tomatoes on it, but all except one were really small.  I don't think I'll be harvesting that biggest one for another month.  The four others have 2-4 brand-new tomatoes on them, though all my plants have a lot of flowers.  My peppers - Anaheim, jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello, and mini red bell - all have peppers on them a lot earlier than I'm used to.  I generally don't start harvesting peppers until August, but I may very well have a few ready to harvest (mini bells and JN) within three or four weeks.

Yours sound as though they're right about on schedule, although I don't have any experience with tomatillos.  Oftentimes you'll get one big, early tomato, then the rest follow a few weeks later.  Before you know it, you'll have trusses full of tomatoes and you won't be able to keep up with them.  And those Sungolds can  overwhelm you if you aren't ready for them!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm the least patient person in the world. 

As for those sungolds......they went from nothing to a bunch of tomatoes growing in just a couple of days. 

So far I've gotten quite a few banana peppers and grape tomatoes, one bell pepper and one zucchini. This is only my second year growing stuff (and first year for many of these plants) and I had been getting impatient with most of the other veggies too (especially the big tomatoes and the pumpkins). Good to know I'm not behind schedule. That first week of June seemed to put the brakes on everything.

You all ready for Agnes Bill in a few days? lol

So far I've gotten quite a few banana peppers and grape tomatoes, one bell pepper and one zucchini. This is only my second year growing stuff (and first year for many of these plants) and I had been getting impatient with most of the other veggies too (especially the big tomatoes and the pumpkins). Good to know I'm not behind schedule. That first week of June seemed to put the brakes on everything.

Interesting, I'm nowhere near tomatoes yet.  Zucchini is really doing well.  Cucumbers starting slow.  Raspberries close!

I haven't had as much rain as most others in the last few weeks, so my garden could handle a good dumping!

Interesting, I'm nowhere near tomatoes yet. Zucchini is really doing well. Cucumbers starting slow. Raspberries close!

My cucumbers are really slow, too, although I'm certain that I'll be giving them away by the bushel in about a month!

Im about to be overloaded with green bush beans, and my beets will hopefully outlast this heat and be ready to pick soon. Onions and garlic have probably 2-4 more weeks before harvest, depending on type.

I'll have snap peas ready to eat any day now. Cukes are slow at my house too, but have lots of them going. Pole green beans look good too, lots of blooms. Watermelon plants are double the size since last week. 

tomatoes aren't doing so well. 

Still waiting for the severe thunderstorm watch :axe:

and it prob won't be coming either... sigh

was only a 40% chance on the watch, and the HWO issued probably was probably enough to cover the chances of severe. 

As soon as I got home and saw the vp2 showed west winds gusting to 27 mph and bright blue skies I figured it was a no go today ...not that I need rain but it never gets old tracking storms.

I'm liking tomorrow night/early Thursday for more widespread drenchings, maybe some T+L too.

All the chatter regarding Bill's potential has me a little worried.  We put an addition on the house recently and a new downspout drains in a flat area of the yard, right in the same area where the sump pump drains.  Last week, when I got 2.5" of rain in one evening, the soil in that area got saturated and the sump pump kicked on almost continually as it kept recirculating the water.

Because of the 5.5" of rain in the last three weeks and the possibility of substantially more this weekend, I'm heading to HD and getting some of that black tubing to move the water from both drains 25' from the house.  It's a temporary fix, but I'm going to be away Saturday night and the last thing that I need is to come home Sunday afternoon and find a pond in my basement.

Archived