joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're officially losing daylight now. Finally! Sheesh. Is it too early for first freeze contest?

Boooooooo!  I love me some winter, but summer days spent working in the garden and then drinking a beer on the tailgate of the pickup while enjoying an evening like yesterday's is tough to beat.

Besides, I just started summer vacation!

Boooooooo!  I love me some winter, but summer days spent working in the garden and then drinking a beer on the tailgate of the pickup while enjoying an evening like yesterday's is tough to beat.

Besides, I just started summer vacation!

The next 2 months may be rough on your liver  ;) , enjoy the beer.

Since a lot of people here are into gardening... it looks like vine borer bugs have invaded all my pumpkins, zucchini and squash. Everything I read online says I'm screwed, so any tips are appreciated. :cry:

I've only ever grown a pumpkin once, and never done squash or zucchini, but from what I know your research is spot on.  Squash vine borer damage is pretty much impossible to reverse.

That sucks.  Sorry to hear it!

I was expecting snarkier. (Is that a word?) youre getting lame in your old age, woman. ;)

How's this?

The air quality will immediately clear after leaving NYC even though you have to go through the sewer that is NJ. Upon going further south the weather will be doing something. Even further along it will be 100% rain with 100% sun and temps around warm. Then more weather will happen because I said so.

Deer ate all the leaves off of my cucumber plant and then for good measure ripped it out of the ground. Vermin. They also got the green beans.

those bastards! and why i plant mine up against the house. they wont dare venture that close with dogs around. 

Deer ate all the leaves off of my cucumber plant and then for good measure ripped it out of the ground. Vermin. They also got the green beans.

That sucks!  Those things can crush a garden in no time.  Get yourself a bow...

The deer around me tend to stay in the woods - I've only ever seen one across the street that runs along them - and *most* more destructive critters stay away with my dog leaving his DNA all over the backyard.  I do have a ton of chipmunks around this year, so they're getting into my beans, but they can only reach so high. Squirrels have stripped my peach tree of fruit in the past, which is so damn frustrating, so I feel your pain.

those bastards! and why i plant mine up against the house. they wont dare venture that close with dogs around. 

Our dog was sleeping soundly in our bed.  He is loud and barky - and completely useless as a guard dog (Sheltie).

That sucks!  Those things can crush a garden in no time.  Get yourself a bow...

The deer around me tend to stay in the woods - I've only ever seen one across the street that runs along them - and *most* more destructive critters stay away with my dog leaving his DNA all over the backyard.  I do have a ton of chipmunks around this year, so they're getting into my beans, but they can only reach so high. Squirrels have stripped my peach tree of fruit in the past, which is so damn frustrating, so I feel your pain.

Back in Mar/April the neighborhood listserv was flying with discussions about how to "cull the herd".  I've seen 17 in the soccer field behind our house.  They think nothing of jumping our fences and munching on what they want.  I went out with our 10 month old and stood along the fence as one of them just watched us in the middle of the next yard, maybe 20 ft away.  No fear, they just do what they want.

Our dog was sleeping soundly in our bed.  He is loud and barky - and completely useless as a guard dog (Sheltie).

Back in Mar/April the neighborhood listserv was flying with discussions about how to "cull the herd".  I've seen 17 in the soccer field behind our house.  They think nothing of jumping our fences and munching on what they want.  I went out with our 10 month old and stood along the fence as one of them just watched us in the middle of the next yard, maybe 20 ft away.  No fear, they just do what they want.

get a pet mountain lion

Fortunately I don't have deer problems, but this region just has too many pests- inchworms, Japanese beetles, aphids, squash vine borers...

The inchworms every spring seems to be a southern MD thing though- I never see those in the DC/Baltimore area.

I see them around me here in Fairfax County - the tiny little, skinny green ones.  In April/May, I had a ton of inch-long caterpillars that are green with black stripes.  I'd never seen them before.  The things were everywhere for a couple weeks!

I see them around me here in Fairfax County - the tiny little, skinny green ones.  In April/May, I had a ton of inch-long caterpillars that are green with black stripes.  I'd never seen them before.  The things were everywhere for a couple weeks!

Yeah that's them- they're out in late April / early May. I never saw them until I moved down here- never seen them the entire time I lived in Glen Burnie. But I'm not in your area that often so I guess they are over where you live too. Pesticides work well but you have to be quick- they'll destroy stuff pretty fast once they're out and find a tree they like.

Yeah that's them- they're out in late April / early May. I never saw them until I moved down here- never seen them the entire time I lived in Glen Burnie. But I'm not in your area that often so I guess they are over where you live too. Pesticides work well but you have to be quick- they'll destroy stuff pretty fast once they're out and find a tree they like.

Well...keep them down there!

Seriously though, I'd never seen them before this spring.  I wonder why they suddenly appeared this year.  Good thing is that they were gone within a couple weeks of my first seeing them.

Archived