• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter Thread

H2O

All the chatter regarding Bill's potential has me a little worried.  We put an addition on the house recently and a new downspout drains in a flat area of the yard, right in the same area where the sump pump drains.  Last week, when I got 2.5" of rain in one evening, the soil in that area got saturated and the sump pump kicked on almost continually as it kept recirculating the water.

Because of the 5.5" of rain in the last three weeks and the possibility of substantially more this weekend, I'm heading to HD and getting some of that black tubing to move the water from both drains 25' from the house.  It's a temporary fix, but I'm going to be away Saturday night and the last thing that I need is to come home Sunday afternoon and find a pond in my basement.

Be careful not to buy the perforated drain tile.  

I do the same thing when (the few times per yearI it actually rains significantly imby.  The builders put the sump discharge on the side of my house with the flat yard, rather than simply put it on the other side of the house with the the nice negative slope.  I keep thinking about permanently attaching and burying the tile, but that opens up another set of issues, and for the few times per year it actually rains hard enough here to matter, it's probably not worth the effort.  Once my sump quits running, I simply roll up the tile and put it back in my garage.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the same thing when (the few times per yearI it actually rains significantly imby.  The builders put the sump discharge on the side of my house with the flat yard, rather than simply put it on the other side of the house with the the nice negative slope.  I keep thinking about permanently attaching and burying the tile, but that opens up another set of issues, and for the few times per year it actually rains hard enough here to matter, it's probably not worth the effort.  Once my sump quits running, I simply roll up the tile and put it back in my garage.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the solid and perforated, but thanks for the reminder.  I'm not exactly sure how to solve the problem permanently.   There's not a lot of slope anywhere in my yard so I may have to cut the downspout a couple of feet up from the ground and then attach drain pipes to the side of the house with a gentle slope to a different corner of the yard.  Fortunately, the sump pump comes out of the house high enough that I could do something similar with that too.

Regardless, hopefully the tubing solves the problem for the weekend.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the solid and perforated, but thanks for the reminder.  I'm not exactly sure how to solve the problem permanently.   There's not a lot of slope anywhere in my yard so I may have to cut the downspout a couple of feet up from the ground and then attach drain pipes to the side of the house with a gentle slope to a different corner of the yard.  Fortunately, the sump pump comes out of the house high enough that I could do something similar with that too.

Regardless, hopefully the tubing solves the problem for the weekend.

So we have similar issues at our house. The basement sits lower compared to other areas around the house. Thankfully, the previous owners fixed that issued by burying a drain pipe that comes off the back of the house, under the pool walkway/garden area and drains into the yard itself, a good distance from the house. Our sump pump hardly comes on. 

...however, our current issues (which we found out after power washing the deck) is there seems to be a leak somewhere between where the deck hits the house into the unfinished part of the basement. It starts to pool right near the utility sink. We think its the drainage pipe from the sink itself that goes into the wall, where there is some leak and water from the outside (as it runs down off the deck along the side of the house) then leaks into the basement. Thankfully it hasn't been too bad, but even last night's 1" of rain in 30 minutes caused a decent size puddle to form in the basement. 

So we have similar issues at our house. The basement sits lower compared to other areas around the house. Thankfully, the previous owners fixed that issued by burying a drain pipe that comes off the back of the house, under the pool walkway/garden area and drains into the yard itself, a good distance from the house. Our sump pump hardly comes on. 

...however, our current issues (which we found out after power washing the deck) is there seems to be a leak somewhere between where the deck hits the house into the unfinished part of the basement. It starts to pool right near the utility sink. We think its the drainage pipe from the sink itself that goes into the wall, where there is some leak and water from the outside (as it runs down off the deck along the side of the house) then leaks into the basement. Thankfully it hasn't been too bad, but even last night's 1" of rain in 30 minutes caused a decent size puddle to form in the basement. 

Water leaks suck. :raining:

The sump pump drain for our place dumps into the backyard mulch bed. Not sure why the previous owners never thought to extend it. I now have it extended away from the house and have another extension I can add on if heavy rain is in the forecast. Being in a town home with only the front of the house buried, there's only so much water that can get to the spit. Still though, I'd rather not have a swamp in the backyard when it does rain.

I'll back WxUSAF in the mod wars. New thread is good. It is silly to go back to look up the '12 derecho and find it buried in a "late June" thread.

I'd obviously have changed the title. More the fact it was discussed yesterday and he didn't show up until things were underway so there is now a bunch of stuff talking about today in the first thread. Bill is a wave of low pressure responsible for svr weather.. we have plenty of threads like that (including the 2012 derecho thread lol). The stuff prior was minimal. Again, lazy till game time but whatever.

I do the same thing when (the few times per yearI it actually rains significantly imby. The builders put the sump discharge on the side of my house with the flat yard, rather than simply put it on the other side of the house with the the nice negative slope. I keep thinking about permanently attaching and burying the tile, but that opens up another set of issues, and for the few times per year it actually rains hard enough here to matter, it's probably not worth the effort. Once my sump quits running, I simply roll up the tile and put it back in my garage.

We get in a tizzy for a line of thunderstorms with some embedded diffuse rotation, and meanwhile in southern MN they gusted into the 70s this morning after the MCS went

through due to a wake low. Good lord we have lame weather here.

This. And the most scared people, too. Running to their basement for some heavy rain and light winds.

We get in a tizzy for a line of thunderstorms with some embedded diffuse rotation, and meanwhile in southern MN they gusted into the 70s this morning after the MCS went through due to a wake low.  Good lord we have lame weather here.

it's most evident during winter when we have 40 pages of posts for 1-2" of snow that has trouble sticking to pavement.

We get in a tizzy for a line of thunderstorms with some embedded diffuse rotation, and meanwhile in southern MN they gusted into the 70s this morning after the MCS went through due to a wake low.  Good lord we have lame weather here.

With the exception of the rare HECS, we have very boring weather, probably even more so out this way, since any tornadic activity is (thankfully) exceedingly rare.  Hell, I can count on two hands the # of hail events I've seen in my lifetime.

weather complaining is proportional to a perceived lask of weather happening IYBY.

Weather

Always

Hates

or WAH=IMBY split x neighbor 5 miles away getting jackpotted + butthurt

I think you also have to adjust for the hyping of IMBY observations, but only based on what the poster prefers.  if they love snow, then when they say heavy rates, it's probably moderate.  if they dislike snow, then moderate rates will be posted as heavy.

I think you also have to adjust for the hyping of IMBY observations, but only based on what the poster prefers.  if they love snow, then when they say heavy rates, it's probably moderate.  if they dislike snow, then what they say is moderate rates are probably heavy.

fixed

This is like saying the sky is blue...or like pointing out the most conspicuous ugly feature of a person. It's just best to not talk about our inability to get really high level stuff around here. It takes us a while to hit the lottery.

Speaking of...chase day in New England tomorrow? :(

New England sucks at everything except snow and marine air.

Archived