joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forgot torch! Definately on the table!

Thanks, all! and Yes, I mentioned a torch, read it again. West to east flow, possible in a super strong Nino (97/98). Odds are at this stage, that warm Pacific and unusual PDO number (anomalies right now) would favor atleast a partial repeat of warm, dry NW, West Canada ridging, and buckling in central or east. Longwaves mean everything,and I won't be suprised to see that east trough axis near Apps, from east Canada to the Gulf coast. With split flow in eastern PAC. Who knows though , it may truly be a warm one just like that 98 year, with hardly any cold coming this far south.  That's why I said its going to be interesting going into Autumn to see origination of surface Highs, and their Sizes. Worked out quite well last two Winters, with enormous highs common.  SST usually are key on that. And right now I'd say more big highs do develop in nw Canada and drop into Plains, East.  Could be way wrong though. Thats long range for ya :)

You forgot torch! Definately on the table!

It's possible we get a 1998 repeat for sure, but at least it was wet. That spring had several severe weather outbreaks in the southeast too. With what has happened so far here in August, 1986-87 is back on the table somewhat too. That was a winter folks in the upstate of SC and the western half of NC would love to have repeat. The Raleigh crowd I'm afraid would not like it though. It'll most likely be in the middle of those 2 extremes though.

It's possible we get a 1998 repeat for sure, but at least it was wet. That spring had several severe weather outbreaks in the southeast too. With what has happened so far here in August, 1986-87 is back on the table somewhat too. That was a winter folks in the upstate of SC and the western half of NC would love to have repeat. The Raleigh crowd I'm afraid would not like it though. It'll most likely be in the middle of those 2 extremes though.

That Winter just rings true to me so far, watching how the Spring and Summer has gone so far. And the SST anomalies, looking over and comparing them. The 86/87 evolution is pretty remarkable, but who knows if we end up with that type of combination. VA and the APPs would like it, as it did combine the split flow, and cold perfectly with storm systems.   After August and September, really later in the Fall, only time will tell if we have seen that kind of repetition. No two years are carbon copies. (but I'd bet a lof east, ne winds and Damming events and middle 30s are common where you are).

Maybe something to look forward to in the short term:

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 245 PM THURSDAY...

FRIDAY...SFC FRONT MAY BE SLOW TO EXIT THE SE COUNTIES...SUPPORTING
A SLIGHT CHANCE OF A SHOWER IN THE MORNING...AND A FEW
SHOWERS/STORMS FRIDAY AFTERNOON. MEANWHILE WEST-SW FLOW ALOFT MAY
STREAM ENOUGH MOISTURE OVERHEAD TO MAINTAIN A DECK OF MID-HIGH LEVEL
CLOUDS. THUS...NOT EXPECTING A TOTALLY SUNNY LATE MORNING-AFTERNOON
ACROSS THE REGION AS EXPECT ENOUGH CLOUDS AROUND TO RESULT IN A
PARTLY SUNNY FORECAST. HOWEVER...NEAR SFC NLY FLOW WILL ADVECT A
DRIER AIR MASS INTO THE AREA WITH DEWPOINTS BY EARLY-MID AFTERNOON
PROJECTED TO BE IN THE 50S/NEAR 60 NORTH AND MID 60S ACROSS THE FAR
SOUTH
. WITH POTENTIAL FOR BROKEN-OVERCAST CEILINGS TO START THE DAY
AND A MIX OF SUN AND CLOUDS IN THE AFTERNOON...SOLAR HEATING MAY BE
INHIBIT A BIT. AFTERNOON TEMPS SHOULD BE CLOSE TO NORMALS...MID-
UPPER 80S.

SFC HIGH WILL BUILD INTO/SETTLE INTO THE REGION FRIDAY NIGHT. AXIS
OF LOWER DEWPOINTS WILL SETTLE OVER MOST OF THE PIEDMONT AND COASTAL
PLAIN. EXPECT MIN TEMPS TO SETTLE IN THE MAINLY THE 60-65 DEGREE
RANGE. IF SKIES CLEARER AND SFC WIND CALM FOR A GOOD PART OF THE
NIGHT...THE NORMALLY COLDER SPOTS WILL LIKELY DIP INTO THE UPPER 50S.

I know this forum is for predictions as opposed to retrospection, but I figure a little discussion of past performance is not out of place.

Has anyone in the NC met community heard any discussion about the discrepancy in predicted vs observed performance of that front that crossed the state on Thursday?

Please note that this is NOT an attempt to bash or insult, I would just really like to know.  In fact the reason why I am so interested is that that episodes where the forecast appears to fail to that degree are rare.

Things seemed on track Thursday when I went out to lunch.  It was clouding up and some of the clouds showed evidence of convective towering, but by 3 or 4 pm those clouds had disappeared and there was virtually nothing on radar.  When I came home from work my wife told me that WRAL had indicated that there was a possibility of thurderstorms in the 10 - 11 pm time frame, so I suspected that perhaps the front had been delayed.  In any event, very little materialized across the state. 

Looks like summer will stay locked in going into the first part of September. Here is day 10 of the GFS. Of course the extreme temps can be taken with a grain of salt; never-the-less it looks like a hot pattern:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=08&model_dd=24&model_init_hh=06&fhour=252&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

I know this forum is for predictions as opposed to retrospection, but I figure a little discussion of past performance is not out of place.

Has anyone in the NC met community heard any discussion about the discrepancy in predicted vs observed performance of that front that crossed the state on Thursday?

Please note that this is NOT an attempt to bash or insult, I would just really like to know.  In fact the reason why I am so interested is that that episodes where the forecast appears to fail to that degree are rare.

Things seemed on track Thursday when I went out to lunch.  It was clouding up and some of the clouds showed evidence of convective towering, but by 3 or 4 pm those clouds had disappeared and there was virtually nothing on radar.  When I came home from work my wife told me that WRAL had indicated that there was a possibility of thurderstorms in the 10 - 11 pm time frame, so I suspected that perhaps the front had been delayed.  In any event, very little materialized across the state. 

Thursday morning WRAL showed a line of storms coming through around 5:00 on their in-house model. RAH even said this in the hazardous weather outlook:

SLOW MOVING SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS WILL

CROSS CENTRAL NC THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. IN THE HEAVIEST

DOWNPOURS...TWO TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN WILL FALL IN AN

HOUR...LEADING TO MINOR FLOODING ESPECIALLY OF STREETS AND

UNDERPASSES. AN ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM IS ALSO POSSIBLE WITH

THE PRIMARY SEVERE WEATHER THREAT BEING DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

But there were not any storms at all. Not even isolated ones around when the forecast called for scattered storms with large downpours. This has been happening going back to last spring and summer with the storm forecasting. I know a chance of scattered storms doesn't mean everyone will get a storm at their house. But so many times the last two years there have been forecasts for storms and no one around had anything at all. 

Nice summer snowstorm in Calgary. Pretty neat pics seeing snow on the ground with green leaves on the trees,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207582/Only-Alberta-eh-Snow-falls-Calgary-despite-middle-summer-bats-eyelid.html

why does the headline say " Calgary is stunned by snowfall in the middle of summer " Last I checked we are a week away from fall.

Archived