joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some decent changes seems likely now for at least a week or so of Aug with a nice EC trough setup...GFS has highs in the 70's to low 80's for most of NC, I would expect the Bermuda High to return though but with the trough over the EC and fronts stalling offshore I would also watch the mid month period for a increased chance of a homegrown tropical system of the SE coast or GOM.....

Cut that by 3/4 and subtract .75 and you'll have the correct total! Kind of like a snowfall map! :)

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for that.  I've seen similar maps not come close to being correct all year.  GFS is already backing off big time on what was not even impressive totals to begin with.  I'll keep on getting fringed the rest of the week while the same areas will keep on getting their rain.  Putting out a map like that is pretty ridiculous for this time of year when all that rain depends on thunderstorms that may or may not happen.

Imagine that, the mega pattern change to "normal",summer pattern , is not going to happen and we are hanging our hat on a tropical possibility, to save us, lol! Kind of like hoping for an upper low to give us snow in winter! This summer is sucktastic! Good to see we keep letting models kick us in the baguettes , 12 months a year! :( this summer is historic!

The GFS shows very little rainfall through 180. What happened to the big Gulf low coming up and the heavy rain threat this weekend? Oh let me guess...it evaporated once we moved inside 7 days? Go ahead and get prepared for that this winter. Not sure what the Euro shows as far as precip amounts. Looks like there's some decent mid-level RH in the Sunday/Monday time frame, but it's hard to tell about precip from the coarse ewall maps.

The GFS shows very little rainfall through 180. What happened to the big Gulf low coming up and the heavy rain threat this weekend? Oh let me guess...it evaporated once we moved inside 7 days? Go ahead and get prepared for that this winter. Not sure what the Euro shows as far as precip amounts. Looks like there's some decent mid-level RH in the Sunday/Monday time frame, but it's hard to tell about precip from the coarse ewall maps.

The GFS really sucks. All the fantasy winter storms from last winter was very discouraging. The very high temp errors and the pattern flips this summer just continue the knowledge to not trust it.     

Euro and other models consistent with the EC being troughed out between two ridges for at least a week or so starting mid next week.....GFS changes every run so meh, although that is what it tends to do when the H5 pattern is changing a lot so maybe in its own F**cked up way it too is showing the pattern change.

If we get into a pattern of the Bermuda High shifting east for troughs then back west every week or so we will need to really be ready for a homegrown tropical system, the troughs will allow stuff to bubble off the SE Coast then a returning ridge could push the storms inland......mid to late Aug into early Sept could be fun tropical wise.....I think once Sept gets here we see more troughs and less Bermuda High, summer ends early this year.

Euro and other models consistent with the EC being troughed out between two ridges for at least a week or so starting mid next week.....GFS changes every run so meh, although that is what it tends to do when the H5 pattern is changing a lot so maybe in its own F**cked up way it too is showing the pattern change.

If we get into a pattern of the Bermuda High shifting east for troughs then back west every week or so we will need to really be ready for a homegrown tropical system, the troughs will allow stuff to bubble off the SE Coast then a returning ridge could push the storms inland......mid to late Aug into early Sept could be fun tropical wise.....I think once Sept gets here we see more troughs and less Bermuda High, summer ends early this year.

Good assessment. I like the possibilities.

06z keeps the heat on the next 16 days... max temp 102, min temp 70.  4 days 100 or better. (using KJNX via MeteoStar)

The GFS has been horrible the last few weeks, it cant even get close to right 24 hrs out...on the 12Z run it shows 106 in GSP tomorrow, official forecast low 90's.....its about 5-10 degrees to warm on average when it tries to show big heat.....

This ensemble run average 2M temps looks much more realistic given the pattern and time of year

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=us&pkg=T2m&runtime=2015072900&fh=300&xpos=0&ypos=156

The GFS really sucks. All the fantasy winter storms from last winter was very discouraging. The very high temp errors and the pattern flips this summer just continue the knowledge to not trust it.     

Yeah...it seems like it's gotten worse with the upgrades.

I'd like to hear Bricks assessment ! :)

From following things on here, it sure has seemed that way. It advertises a bunch of precip in the long range only for it to back off down the road.

It's been showing 100+ temperatures everyday for the last month lol.  It would seem like they would want to "upgrade" the model again to fix this.  Precip wise, it hasn't been too bad.  I get the feeling it will be correct with the next week to 10 days being pretty dry in the upstate.  It has backed off the inch plus totals for the last few runs now.  CMC wants to put everything south of the upstate down to around the coast.

Yet people keep posting GFS maps like they are gospel.  Will people ever learn?????

We'll wait for Shetley's and Marietta's presentation of temperature and precipitation data comparisons before breaking open the Dom Perignon and toasting a great call.

Lol. This has been an up and down summer so far. Looks like we will cool off a bit starting tomorrow through the weekend then another big ridge builds in. I feel bad for the piedmont and parts of the upstate as they have been dry as a bone so far.

Archived