joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that last year, too. February saved us. We ended up right at average here with three storms in February. Seems like something always keeps us from having a big winter, though, even when all the factors are supposedly favorable for one. It has been a long time since we have had a big snow over 6 inches. Would be great to have one of those storms again.

It feels like it has been forever since we had a decent winter storm or one that lived up to its hype.  We can't even get good ice storms here anymore.  Last year was the first time we have had freezing rain in forever, but of course the one time where I didn't want colder upper levels it delivered and turned everything to a sleet fest.  I hate sleet!  Only way I could enjoy a sleet storm is if it delivered some epic amounts.

The only thing nice I can say about last winter is that I saw snow.  I just can't count 0.5"-1" sleet/snowfall amounts as a success.

From Robert @ wxsouth wrt El Niño :

Just posted about that a bit ago on the general forum.  Back in 97, the GOA warm pool quickly gave way in the fall and was STJ all the way.  The GOA warmth is already stronger now than it was this time in 97.. hope it stays put.  We're going to have an active STJ regardless.

GFS at it again with the extreme temperatures.  I think it is time for a downgrade back to the old version.  Apparently Spartanburg is the new Columbia.

gfs_T2m_seus_29.png

I find it odd how it shows 103 near Atlanta and then not far to the west it shows 94 ? That seems like a very big temp difference in such a short distance.

I heard that last year, too. February saved us. We ended up right at average here with three storms in February. Seems like something always keeps us from having a big winter, though, even when all the factors are supposedly favorable for one. It has been a long time since we have had a big snow over 6 inches. Would be great to have one of those storms again.

It's been 32 years since the Atlanta airport had a snow over 6"

You were close this past Feb.

I was surprised to see RDU is running -0.6 degrees normal this month.  It has had 1.88 inches of precip, a tad above normal. 

Hard to believe I've had almost 2x as much as RDU - 3.38" --- of course half of that fell yesterday, while they picked up .65". Around here, last week's heat was over-forecast by 3-6 degrees every day. Hope that holds true for the upcoming heat wave.

Though I haven't followed it razor sharp, I agree with WxSouth's points that the GFS has done pretty well this summer at 500mb with maintaining ridging across the south, seemingly a little better than the Euro.  Just have to knock down the sfc temps on the model output.  June is such a pivotal month.  If it is hot, it usually sets the tone the rest of the way. 

Though I haven't followed it razor sharp, I agree with WxSouth's points that the GFS has done pretty well this summer at 500mb with maintaining ridging across the south, seemingly a little better than the Euro.  Just have to knock down the sfc temps on the model output.  June is such a pivotal month.  If it is hot, it usually sets the tone the rest of the way. 

Hopefully it means a early end to summer, I will take a hot June and July if it means we get a pattern change in mid Aug and a below normal end to summer into the fall......I love Sept thru Nov its my favorite time of the year....

Question about record highs.  I was looking back at that heat wave in 2012 and I remember GSP having a record high on July 1 at 107°.  However when I went to the records page it isn't listed.  Was there some sort of contamination and so they don't count it?  It is definitely updated because it has the record from July 10 of this year.  Wunderground still lists the record high of 107° for GSP that day.  Also on June 29 and June 30 of 2012 there were records set, but are not listed as well.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/gspcli.htm

The MJO is getting into phase 8 which should be cooler for us, correct?

Also Our favorite Met JB thinks the ridge breaks down and forms a trough over the East coast and the SE.

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

I may be wrong, but I think the MJO phases have less effect on summer weather and patterns, than they do in the winter. Kind of like the raging El Niño going on now, but no rain to be found! It's effects are different in summer .

Archived